print individual names from print list

harringg

Postby harringg » August 19th, 2007, 10:34 pm

I've got a print list with 25 names. Using Merge Printing, I want to follow up with 15 of them, can I do so without creating a second print list (and trying to find them in a list of hundreds of contacts)? I'm able to manually select individual names by pressing the Apple key and clicking at the label preview window. What is the trick to just having those names 15 names show up on the labels?
Nick

Postby Nick » August 20th, 2007, 2:58 am

Hi,

You can use two features for this.
1. If a print list contains 25 records, but you set the Number of labels to 15 in the print dialog, Mail Factory will print first 15 contacts.

2. A print list can be sorted. To sort your list by a specific order, use sorting by a data field that is empty in all of your contacts. This can be one of "Custom" fields.

So, you should:
1. Open the print list (click Edit Print List in the Contacts window).
2. Type "1" into the "Custom 1" field (it is at the bottom of the Personal Info box).
3. Click the Sort drop-down list and choose Custom 1.
4. Close the print list editor.
5. In the Print dialog, set the number of labels to 15 and print.

Nick
harringg

Postby harringg » August 20th, 2007, 7:07 am

Nick wrote:Hi,

You can use two features for this.
1. If a print list contains 25 records, but you set the Number of labels to 15 in the print dialog, Mail Factory will print first 15 contacts.

I know that, but it prints in order of the list. I don't want that, because I've added to my list and just want labels for those new names.

2. A print list can be sorted. To sort your list by a specific order, use sorting by a data field that is empty in all of your contacts. This can be one of "Custom" fields.

So, you should:
1. Open the print list (click Edit Print List in the Contacts window).
2. Type "1" into the "Custom 1" field (it is at the bottom of the Personal Info box).
3. Click the Sort drop-down list and choose Custom 1.
4. Close the print list editor.
5. In the Print dialog, set the number of labels to 15 and print.

Nick

That did exactly what I was looking for. I use the same type of sorting trick in MS Access for certain reports.

One other question, is it a bug or am i doing something wrong? I'm working with a shorter list now, 7 people, I sorted using the Custom1 field, went to print, it shows all seven people, changed the default 7 under number of labels to 4 and it prints the first name twice, and not the 4th one. So I get name1, name1, name2, name3. Changing it to 1, and then changing it to 2, gives me two of name1 as well.

And maybe it should be a new question topic, but when I print 7 names on a single label, the # of copies sets to that many pages. So even though it prints a single page, it says 7 copies. This bit me once, I saved a custom label setup (I had just printed 35 labels at the time) in the print dialog and asked someone to print two seperate documents using that setting and we got 70 copies of the same thing, because it was stored as 35 copies and I didn't catch it.

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » August 21st, 2007, 3:20 am

One other question, is it a bug or am i doing something wrong? I'm working with a shorter list now, 7 people, I sorted using the Custom1 field, went to print, it shows all seven people, changed the default 7 under number of labels to 4 and it prints the first name twice, and not the 4th one. So I get name1, name1, name2, name3. Changing it to 1, and then changing it to 2, gives me two of name1 as well.

Yes, it is a bug. We'll fix it. Unfortunately I don't see a way to overcome this problem.

And maybe it should be a new question topic, but when I print 7 names on a single label, the # of copies sets to that many pages. So even though it prints a single page, it says 7 copies. This bit me once, I saved a custom label setup (I had just printed 35 labels at the time) in the print dialog and asked someone to print two seperate documents using that setting and we got 70 copies of the same thing, because it was stored as 35 copies and I didn't catch it.

The information displayed in the system print dialog may be slightly confusing, but Mail Factory interacts with the printer correctly – this is the most important. The print dialog of Mail Factory shows the number of pages correctly.
The problem is that Mail Factory operates with two terms: page and label, when the system print dialog works with the page term only. If possible, we'll try to make the displayed information more obvious.

Thanks for your questions.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”