Envelope not printing correctly on HP Color Laserjet

gryhound

Postby gryhound » May 1st, 2007, 2:18 am

I designed a custom envelope for some announcement cards that I got from Apple through the iPhoto card ordering feature. The envelope was designed for a 4 x 6 inch post card (birth announcement card).

On the envelope I placed a photo from iPhoto with a clip art frame around the photo and set the rest of the envelope up as usual.

I am using a PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM and a HP 3800N color laser printer hooked up through the network connection.

When I printed my envelopes the printer changed the colors on the Photo and the return address label right above the photo.

I tried changing my page setup in Mail factory to no avail.

Finally I decide to see if the printer would print incorrectly if I sent the image as a PDF file to the printer. The PDF looked correct but the printer still printed incorrectly. (see attached PDF)

Finally I changed the paper size in the PDF to a normal 8.5 x 11 page and the image printed correctly. It seemed that the custom page size was somehow interfering with the printer. I couldn't figure out a workaround to get my custom envelope to print correctly with the printer set to the custom print size.

Finally I went back into Mail Factory and decide to print the envelope without the photo. The resulted in a correct print even on the custom envelope size.

Now knowing that there was something wrong with the photo I went into iPhoto and exported the 6 Megapixel image to a 300x400 image and then reimported it into iPhoto.

Once the picture was reimported I closed iPhoto and went back to Mail Factory and added the picture back onto my envelope and placed the border on the image again. I ran that through the printer and it printed very quickly and more importantly it was color accurate.

My main conclusion from this is that large images or photos from iPhoto need to be downsized before use on my 3800N laser printer this seems to fix the issue.

However, I'm still confused as to why this only effects the artwork when it is printed on a custom envelope size and not on standard 8 and 1/2 by 11 paper?

Do you think that this could be solved by having more memory in the printer? Currently it has 128Megs of RAM.

Also, when I used the larger image size Mail Factory would "freeze" when sending a 40 envelope mail merge to the printer. I was able to get mail merge to merge the data when I broke the mailing list down to 10 to 15 recipients. I'm not sure this is a problem with Mail Factory but it did lock up.... Maybe Mail Factory could downsize the resolution of a large picture so it won't print or hang up print jobs? I mean really a 6000 x 6000 pixel image that is being printed on a 1200 dpi printer should be ok only if the photo was going to be printed on the envelope as a 6 inch x 6 inch photo roughly. Maybe I'm wrong about this, I don't know.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 2nd, 2007, 5:19 am

Hi,

Custom envelope template
It is not clear, what you mean by "the return address label right above the photo". The address moved in relation to the location of the image?
Or, the whole envelope was printed with wrong orientation?
Check that width and height are not mixed up.

Some printers require setting the "Load from envelope tray" option in the Mail Factory print dialog. Did you try this option?

Printing images
You concern about image size is reasonable. The original photo taken from the digital camera (or scanned photograph) is too large, and its quality is overmuch. So, it is good idea to convert the image to smaller size.
We recommend users not to use large images for merge printing.

Printers and large images
Large documents are usually sent to the printer by portions (this is a work of the printer driver, not MF). If the printer does not print a large image, try to select/deselect the "Print as raster image" option in the print dialog of Mail Factory.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”