Unable to select proper printer paper size

johnnyspo

Unable to select proper printer paper size

Postby johnnyspo » December 11th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Greetings.

I am new to Labels and Addresses, so forgive me if I've missed the obvious. I am attempting to create a mail-merged custom size envelope (7-1/4" x 5-1/4", OSX Mountain Lion, Epson Workforce 640). I created the envelope and imported my database with no problems. When I attempt to print, the preview in the initial print dialog (orientation, tray, barcode, etc) shows my envelope with the correct size. However when I hit "Next" and it takes to the main printing dialog (printer choice, printer settings, etc), the preview in that dialog shows my envelope being printed on a letter-sized page. I have not been able to find a way to change the printer paper size to match the envelope. As a comparison, if I try to print something in the "Preview" application, there is choice to select the paper size and even (within the pull-down) the ability to create a custom page size.

Any ideas? Is this something that L&A has missed, as other application allow you to set the correct paper size. FYI, OpenOffice has the same issue as L&A.

Thanks.
--John
Nick

Re: Unable to select proper printer paper size

Postby Nick » December 12th, 2014, 5:00 am

Hi John,

An envelope can be sent to the printer as the Letter (or A4) format if the printer uses the same tray to feed plain paper and envelopes. So what you can see in the preview is not a problem.

If the printer has a special tray for smaller media (envelopes or photo paper), you may need to select the "Load from envelope tray" check box in the Print dialog of Labels & Addresses, and use that tray.

Nick
steigw

Postby steigw » December 16th, 2014, 6:08 pm

This doesn't work as newer printers seem to be able to tell what media is actually loaded vs. what the software is telling it. I think my problem is similar to this one which is pending in this forum, but of course I can't link to it.

I'm thinking there is a compatibility issue with Yosemite?
Nick

Postby Nick » December 17th, 2014, 7:47 am

Hi,

Returning to your first post
However when I hit "Next" and it takes to the main printing dialog (printer choice, printer settings, etc), the preview in that dialog shows my envelope being printed on a letter-sized page.

Does this make any problem? What happens when you print with and without the "Load from envelope tray" option?

The system Print dialog usually has a category of settings named like Quality and Media where you can select the media type you are printing on.

Another category Paper Handling, lets you activate "Scale to fit paper size" and choose from the list of paper formats that corresponds to the selected printer.

Also, the system Print dialog has the Presets option. Set it to "Default Settings" if you have something else in it.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”