Lost print lists

alanpique

Lost print lists

Postby alanpique » December 9th, 2014, 9:04 pm

Running L&A 1.6.9 v.486 on MBP and OSX 10.10.1 Yosemite.

This program has become even more flaky since updating to Yosemite - the fields started becoming out of sync from one label to the next and, whilst attempting to correct this, I lost my database print lists. I deleted the plist files and rebooted, but still cannot access the lists. I restored to a previous version of L&A but no further change - what can I do next to restore the status quo???

Please advise my next move, otherwise I shall have to give up on it after a year of use and look elsewhere. Is there incompatibilty with Yosemite?
Nick

Re: Lost print lists

Postby Nick » December 10th, 2014, 4:33 am

Hi alanpique,

L&A 1.6.9 is compatible with OS X 10. Please these points with more details.
...the fields started becoming out of sync from one label to the next...

Did you print many copies of the same address, and it varied from one label o another?

I lost my database print lists. I deleted the plist files and rebooted, but still cannot access the lists.

The program stores print lists in a folder along this path:
~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses
To access this folder, copy the path. In Finder, select Go > Go to Folder, paste the path and click on Go.

What does the print list editor display? Can you see the names of print lists and included contacts?

Nick
alanpique

Postby alanpique » December 11th, 2014, 7:14 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply, and I have been further investigating the situation.
I have now found that the print lists still exist, although they are more circuitous to find and display, and it appears that something is still missing.
To edit my lists - instead of clicking a separate button to bring them up - I press the print icon, then choose merge printing (and edit list to modify/add addresses).
To print a list of labels, nothing appears on the preview after choosing a list, and I am at a loss to understand this point.

After the programme began going awry I found that a page of individually different labels would display in a random fashion, i.e. empty greyed out fields would be printed as empty lines, some fields would be inexplicably missing altogether, and (for example) surnames would all print at the same position on the line such that some address labels might contain gaps and others would overprint a longer first name. In other words, there is now no automatic closing up of fields.

I bought the programme a year ago and, although it has appeared unintuitive and very sensitive to inexact operation in order to work properly, it has now become corrupted and I presume I shall have to download a replacement installation at the risk of losing my data.

Although all is not yet lost I would welcome any advice you can offer to correct these anomalies!

Alan
Nick

Postby Nick » December 12th, 2014, 4:37 am

Hi Alan,

To edit my lists - instead of clicking a separate button to bring them up - I press the print icon, then choose merge printing (and edit list to modify/add addresses).

To edit print lists, you need to click on a button to the right from the popup menu.

To print a list of labels, nothing appears on the preview after choosing a list, and I am at a loss to understand this point.

You need to add an address panel to the label. Address panels act as a form with fields populated with contact details.

After the programme began going awry I found that a page of individually different labels would display in a random fashion, i.e. empty greyed out fields would be printed as empty lines, some fields would be inexplicably missing altogether, and (for example) surnames would all print at the same position on the line such that some address labels might contain gaps and others would overprint a longer first name. In other words, there is now no automatic closing up of fields.

The program remove empty fields if you use an address panel to display addresses. They can extend or shrink depending on the content. On the other hand, Individual fields cannot move around to replace those fields which are empty.

Nick
alanpique

Postby alanpique » December 12th, 2014, 6:03 am

Hi Nick,

OK, I had already discovered how to display the print lists, so that's fine so far, although I am certain there was a separate icon in the left hand panel to move direct - anyway, that's OK.

The remaining problem which I seem unable to clear is that some fields (such as state/province, which often remains empty) display in the label and print as empty spaces. Furthermore, the first name, last name, etc, are all lined up, thus not naturally closing up in the individual lines.

I must have changed something inadvertently but am unable to find what that was!

Thanks again for your quick response.

Regards,
Alan
alanpique

Postby alanpique » December 12th, 2014, 6:09 am

Nick,

One thing did occur to me, and that is perhaps I am using Apple logic in expecting zip codes, for example, to automatically display in the correct manner for different countries, as per Mac OS X Contacts, and that I should be completing the fields in sequence, even if they are marked for a different line of the address.

On the other hand, that does not explain why the same fields in each label on the sheet are lined up in the same position, thereby creating gaps in some labels and overwriting fields on others.

Alan
alanpique

Postby alanpique » December 12th, 2014, 11:48 am

Nick,

I've just realised that I can't cycle through the labels in each list, and there is no address panel as before - just the label info - so I presume it is completely messed up now. If I delete the programme and do a clean reinstall can I reinstate my database by copying over the plist file into the library folder? At the moment I can't see any way out of this situation without causing more grief along the way whilst attempting to bring it all back on track.

Alan
Nick

Postby Nick » December 13th, 2014, 4:36 am

Hi Alan,

Reinstalling a program can sometimes cure certain problems. From my point, it's quite unlikely that it can help, but it is easy to try. The Help has paths to the preferences file and caches folder. Try to delete the program itself and cache, and move the preferences file to the Desktop. This will clear user settings and imported data. Print Lists will remain in the ~/Library/Application Support/Labels & Addresses folder.

It is still not clear to me what causes the problem with gaps. It can help if you send to support@belightsoft.com the following:
- Your document saved with an address which has problems with gaps.
- A screenshot of an address showing the gaps problem (in case it doesn't repeat on our computer).
- Your print lists, see the path above or in the Help.
- The link to this topic.

The program applies different address formatting depending on the destination address. Barcodes are supported only for a few countries. This feature shouldn't cause any trouble like you described.

Nick
alanpique

Postby alanpique » December 13th, 2014, 8:08 pm

Nick,

I have more or less returned to the status quo by deleting the address panel formatting and the templates, then starting from scratch with the original database lists. It appears to be working now as before, so I am not going to experiment further!

There are still one or two issues remaining as to how the programme should work, but I shall be extremely careful in future because it appears to be very, very easy to throw everything off kilter, and remedial efforts often make the situation worse. It would be useful to further refine the programme to help avoid these pitfalls and make it work more intuitively for those of us who may not have been weaned on programming, though.

Having said that, thank you once again for your timely responses and assistance during my personal crisis! It serves to remind us that there are, indeed, developers who are genuinely keen to help those in trouble after buying their products. L&A is potentially an excellent tool and I wish you luck in its further development, particularly with regard to its stability and intuitiveness for amateur users.

Best regards,

Alan

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”