Custom Fields Not working!

daleus

Postby daleus » March 17th, 2014, 4:40 pm

Since the last update, my custom fields are no longer working.

I used to use the following format:

Code: Select all

Custom 1,Custom 2,Home Street,Home City,Home State,Home Zip

And my Template was as follows:

Code: Select all

[Custom 1][        ][        ][        ]
[Custom 2][        ][        ][        ]
[Custom 3][        ][        ][        ]
[Street  ][        ][        ][        ]
[City    ][State   ][Zip     ][        ]
[        ][        ][        ][        ]

It used to work fine, however only the addresses are showing now. My custom fields won't show at all. Not even when I do a print preview.

I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall and it still doesn't work.
Last edited by daleus on March 17th, 2014, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 18th, 2014, 4:20 am

Hi daleus,

On my computer, data imported as you described appear in the print preview.

After importing from a text file, select any item in the left panel (all of them should be "No Name"). Will the data related to the selected item appear on the canvas? If yes, start the printing procedure, and see if the same data is displayed in the Print preview.

You showed the structure of your template. Is it a number of separate data fields, group of them, or a custom address panel? What empty fields in your structure mean?

Nick
daleus

Postby daleus » March 18th, 2014, 7:03 pm

If I select one of the items in the left panel (with "no name'), it shows as follows:

Custom 1
Custom 2
Custom 3
<selected street>
<selected city><selected state><selected zip>

The lines "Custom 1", "Custom 2", and "Custom 3" show up in gray text, but the item data that is shown, is in black text. From this point, if I

As for the empty fields, I just put them there so that you can see how I laid out my template. There's nothing in them.
daleus

Postby daleus » March 18th, 2014, 7:47 pm

I made a video for you. You can see that the names don't show up, only the addresses.

[edit]
Here's a better-quality video so you can read it better:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nfffvs5f6xcpprt/lab_add.mp4
Last edited by daleus on March 18th, 2014, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 19th, 2014, 4:24 am

Thanks for the video.

I tried to repeat your workflow, but everything worked correctly. Do you have version 1.6.8 as I do? What version of OS X is on your computer?

The resolution of your video doesn't allow me read the field names in the window where you link data from the text file to the internal fields. The "Map To" column must contain "Custom 1", "Custom 2", and "Custom 3" to make populated with some data.

Try to add separate "Custom 1", "Custom 2" and "Custom 3" fields, and see if they remain empty when you select items in the left panel.

Also try to swap the field content. For example, link ZIP codes to "Custom 1", and vice versa. This way we'll check if the data missing in "Custom" fields is readable.

It can help if you send your Labels & Addresses document and text file you imported from to support@belightsoft.com providing the link to this topic.

Nick
daleus

Postby daleus » March 20th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I sent it. But I forgot to mention that when I add separate "Custom 1", "Custom 2", and "Custom 3" fields, they still remain empty when selecting an item on the left panel.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 21st, 2014, 5:23 am

Thank you for your files.

The problem is caused by a bug that is present on OS X 10.9. The Custom fields don't show information at all. You should replace all Custom fields with some other (for instance, First Name and Last Name), and respectively indicate these new fields in the Import dialog.

On 10.8, the program works correctly.

Sorry for this inconvenience. I've forwarded the details to our developers.

Nick
uforik

Postby uforik » March 30th, 2014, 7:54 pm

I also experienced my custom fields not working. I'm at OS 10.9.2. I use one custom field to hold a custom value that has the format "XXXX-XXX-XX-X" imported from an Excel file. I've done so for two years using your software.
I followed the previous suggestions and tried using the standard fields of Middle Name, and Company instead, but my information still wouldn't show up.
Thinking that it may be the "-" in my information format, I replaced them with an asterisk. No change, still no data being displayed.
Then I wondered if your program was gakking on the special characters. I replaced the "-" and asterisks with a "dot" and all my desired data was displayed, albeit NOT in the preferred format.
Why is the Import function responding to my data?
I should be able to enter any raw data I wish to represent in a data field, and your program should spit it back out in that data field holder.
uforik

Postby uforik » March 30th, 2014, 7:56 pm

Since the automatic forum censor didn't like my format either, let's represent it as ZZZZ-ZZZ-ZZ-Z
Nick

Postby Nick » March 31st, 2014, 3:13 am

Hi uforik,

We don't have any "special" characters except for cases when you import from text files (for instance, when commas are used as separators).

Please send a sample Excel file to test our program to support@belightsoft.com

What versions of Labels & Addresses and Excel are you using?

The problem can be caused by:
1. The way our software interacts with Excel. We don't import data directly, but Excel sends us information upon our requests.
Possible solution: export your Excel spreadsheet to a text file, then import data from it to Labels & Addresses.

2. Bug with reading some specific characters.

3. Something linked with character encoding. The import dialog lets you choose the character encoding. If a wrong one is selected, a problem can occur.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”