The main window doesn't appear

Harleykop

Postby Harleykop » December 16th, 2013, 4:06 pm

I'm running L&A 1.6.5 on my iMac running OS 10.8.5. The Assistant comes up with the tutorials, but when I choose a label and hit "Choose" the main window doesn't appear. What's going on?

Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 17th, 2013, 3:34 am

Hi Harleykop,

Please close the Video Tutorials window. This is a known bug. The developers are notified of it.

Nick
Harleykop

Postby Harleykop » December 17th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Thanks Nick. Your suggestion worked for getting to the main window, but now I have a new problem: I follow the directions in the tutorial to print the merged labels, but the labels are blank. In the tutorial the merged addresses appear automatically on the form, but mine are blank, and a blank document is printed.

Thanks again.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 18th, 2013, 3:21 am

Hi Harleykop,

To make contact details appear on your label, you need place an address panel or individual data fields on it.

Nick
PapaC

Postby PapaC » February 28th, 2014, 6:14 pm

I'm running L&A 1.6.6 (v477) on my MacPro with OS10.9.2. I do not have the video tutorials open. I cannot get the main window to appear after selecting "Choose" from the Assistant or by selecting "New Label" from the menu.

I have been able to run this program from earlier OS versions.
I have uninstalled the application and reinstalled with the same results.
What is going on?

Thanks
rcournoyer

Postby rcournoyer » February 28th, 2014, 7:32 pm

Mine doesn't open either. I removed L&A to the trash along with all associated files (App Zapper). Redownloaded L&A from the Belight website since this is where I originally bought it. Same problem: New from Assistant> chose a label from the list and nothing happened. I'm on an iMac, OS X 10.9.2. L&A 1.67 (v478).

I've been using L&A since v.1.6.3 (2/20/2009) and I've never had a problem. Also, I just noticed that I cannot quit L&A, I have to Force Quit the application!
Nick

Postby Nick » March 1st, 2014, 3:14 am

PapaC,

You should update the program to version 1.6.7 which is compatible with Mavericks 10.9.2. It is available on our website. If you are customer of App Store, you have to wait until Apple finishes reviewing our program.

rcournoyer,

Please try to manually delete these files and folders to reset the program:
~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.LabelsAddresses.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.belightsoft.LabelsAddresses

To access each of these paths, copy it. In Finder, press Cmd-Shift-G, paste the path and click Go.

Also, open this folder
~/Library/Autosave Information
And move all Labels & Addresses files to some temporary folder.

Then try to run Labels & Addresses, and choose to open a blank document. If this works, chech if the program can open and save some of templates. In case it fails, please save the console log and send it to support@belightsoft.com together with the link to this discussion.

To save the log, open Console.app from Applications/Utilities, select "All Messages" in the left panel, and then select the File > Save a Copy As command.

Nick
jimj13

Postby jimj13 » March 1st, 2014, 4:03 pm

Same problem. Followed the instructions from Nick, still does not work. I have sent the Console log messages to support@belightsoft.com

Looks like an emergency bug fix release is in order...
rcournoyer

Postby rcournoyer » March 2nd, 2014, 11:43 am

I deleted the files ~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft/LabelsAddresses.plist and ~/Library/Caches/.combelightsoft.LabelsAddresses. I couldn't open the folder ~/Library/ Autosave Information for some reason; something to do with not having permission, no way to authenticate. I have sent Console logs to Nick also.

Restarted my Mac (OS X 10.9.2, L&A 1.6.7) and still cannot open L&A beyond the New from assistant dialog.

Now what? After reading these posts it seems to me that there are major problems with this upgrade!
Last edited by rcournoyer on March 2nd, 2014, 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 3rd, 2014, 7:38 am

The problem seem to be linked with certain contact details. As we think, the program incorrectly opens contacts that contain customized details. Those can be data fields which aren't present in a contact card by default in the Contacts.app. We cannot reproduce the problem on our test computers so far. A sample contact could help, but I cannot say how to distinguish it from others.

To verify the assumption that some contact prevents the program from opening normally, please try this. In the System Preferences, choose Security & Privacy section. Inside it, open the Privacy tab. Select Contacts in the left box. Then uncheck Labels & Addresses in the right one. By doing this you don't let Labels & Addresses read your contacts. Try to run it. If it opens and shows the main window, than the assumption was correct. Please let me know about the result if someone tries this.

Nick
rcournoyer

Postby rcournoyer » March 3rd, 2014, 9:46 am

Yes, that seems to work. After unchecking labels & Addresses in the Privacy tab of the Security & privacy preference Pane i'm able to open a document in L&A. So what do we now do re: contacts??

Also, I fixed the Autosave Information folder; I can now open it. R/W is as it should be.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 3rd, 2014, 11:06 am

Here is a workaround. I couldn't think of anything simpler.
1. Create a temporary folder to save your contacts.
2. Open Contacts.app. Select contacts you need to print by one and drag each to the created folder. You'll have a number of *.vcf files, one per contact. Copy these contacts to an external drive, or to this folder /Users/Shared/. This is needed to make them accessible from other user accounts. If you are going to use a particular document, copy it to a shared folder as well.
3. Create a new user account. Its contact database will contain only two default contacts.
4. Run Labels and Addresses. Open your document, or create a new one. To insert an address, select an address panel on the canvas. Then drag and drop one of *.vcf files onto it.

This way, I think, you can find out which of contacts is in incompatible format. If you find one, please email it to us. Or, you can email a number of contacts - we'll try to find an incompatible one.

To print from the new account, you will need to have your license code to register the program. If you purchased it on App Store, you will probably need to input your App Store account details (I'm not sure about this).

Nick
rcournoyer

Postby rcournoyer » March 3rd, 2014, 8:09 pm

Nick,

I created a temp folder, imported the .vcf files for ALL of my contacts (approximately 448). Then I placed this folder in /Users/Shared/ folder, then logged out. I logged into a guest account, opened L&A, then navigated to Securiy & Privacy Pref Pane. Privacy tab> contacts> checked L&A. Back to L&A app, opened a document and added contacts into the field one at a time until I did about 200 contacts and found no issues. I didn't print any out.
Is this what you asked me to do? Not sure what you mean by "T insert an address, select an address panel on the canvas. Then drag and drop one of *.vcf files onto it."
Last edited by rcournoyer on March 3rd, 2014, 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 4th, 2014, 5:31 am

To insert an address, select an address panel on the canvas. Then drag and drop one of *.vcf files onto it.

I wanted to say that to insert any details, an address panel or separate data fields must be added to your document. It appeared that there is no need to select them. Drag and dropping a *.vcf file onto a blank label is useless.

You did exactly what I asked.

We have created a test version:
http://belightsoft.com/tmp/la-beta.zip
Could you check if it works?

Nick
rcournoyer

Postby rcournoyer » March 4th, 2014, 11:19 am

Yes, the test version seems to work fine. Thank you for pursuing this issue.

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”