Suggestion: Create a Faster Data Input Option

jalutz

Postby jalutz » May 11th, 2013, 8:51 am

For years I used MacEnvelope, Mac OS software which never moved to osX. I now use Labels & Addresses and have paid my dues learning how to import one-time text that I want to place on various label options.

For a future version however, why not go one step further and allow "live" input to the PRINT LIST section in what could be called a LIVE LIST. Just as you now have Custom Templates, perhaps a LIVE option for a FILE DATA or PERSONAL DATA field would allow you to position and format your output. The good old CR (return) would signify the end of each record.

I've included a "now" and "suggested change" screenshot at:

www.lutzserve.com/pix/Labels.jpg
Nick

Postby Nick » May 11th, 2013, 10:03 am

Hi jalutz,

I couldn't open your image in my browser, so your idea was not clear enough. How the "live input" differs from inputting data in the main window?

Nick
jalutz

Postby jalutz » May 11th, 2013, 11:54 am

"Live input" would allow you to type directly in the PRINT LIST window without having to go through the ADDRESS SOURCE process. If I entered
A
B
C
D (etc)
it would immediately be formatted on the open template. The CR would signal the end of each entry line.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 12th, 2013, 5:27 am

Sorry, but I still cannot understand your idea. Do you mean to edit information in the Preview of the Print dialog? If not, please name in which window or dialog the editing of a print list should take place.

Maybe we use the same terms to call different things. In Labels & Addresses, a print list is a part of the internal contact database. There is a special dialog to edit information in a print list. To add more contacts you can import them or type details from the scratch. This sounds similar to what you are proposing.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » May 12th, 2013, 6:39 am

Hi
I've made a copy of the Jalutz screenshots:

JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » May 12th, 2013, 8:55 am

Jean-Jacques, thank you! I was missing this illustration from the very beginning.

jalutz:
Please disregard my previous post.

If your idea concerns adding new contacts to a print list, you can click the plus button below the Persons list to add a new entry. Then type in details in the right panel.

If it is about a temporary print list, when you need to pick several contacts for one print session, you can do this in the main window. Show one of contact sources in the left panel. Then holding down the Cmd key select contacts you need to print. You can use Shift instead to select a range of entries. Once you start printing, the selected contacts will appear in the Print dialog as a temporary print list.

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”