won't import fields other than first name and last name

ginjg

Postby ginjg » February 26th, 2013, 11:56 pm

a few weeks ago L&A stopped importing any fields other than first name and Last Name. It has always worked in the past.

The data shows when assigning the data fields to the custom field in L&A , but after import they are gone.

It doesn't matter whether it's a CSV, excel or numbers file.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 27th, 2013, 5:40 am

Hi ginjg,

On my computer, importing works correctly.

What version of Labels & Addresses do you have? Open the Labels & Addresses menu and choose About Labels & Addresses.

How did you verify that certain fields are empty? Try to add an address panel using the corresponding toolbar button. Then select in the left panel one of imported contacts that must contain an address. Will this address be displayed?

Please send a sample file containing a contact to support@belightsoft.com Mention this forum in your email. Maybe the problem has something to do with your original files.

Nick
ginjg

Postby ginjg » February 27th, 2013, 12:16 pm

1.6.4 (v472)

I verified that the data is missing by:
1. fields in the existing template being empty when a single contact is selected.

2. choosing print merge, adding contacts to a new print list and then going to each in the data fields window

3. choosing each of the earlier print lists that had functioned properly and had all the correct field data the last time they were used in January - now only first and last name information remains.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 28th, 2013, 5:04 am

According to your screenshot, most of imported data fields are mapped to Custom fields that aren't included in any of standard address panels.

In the menu, choose Insert > Personal Data Field > Custom > Custom 1 and see if it is populated with the respective information when you select an item in the left panel. If this works, you need to add Custom fields to your design to show and print imported information.

The Custom fields can be added using one of toolbar buttons. Once the needed fields are added, you can group them or add to a custom address panel.

Nick
ginjg

Postby ginjg » February 28th, 2013, 1:13 pm

I m not a new user. I understand how the program functions.

I'm using individual fields placed in the body of the document - I've been doing this since the first version of L&A, and with Mail Factory, before that without problem.

I understand full well that the fields have to be placed in the document to be displayed. That is not the issue.

The fields are no longer being imported and mapped as they have in the past and the previously added print lists have also lost all the information that was previously in those fields - including the email field.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 1st, 2013, 8:06 am

On my computer, the program fills in your document with data from your CSV file correctly (except for one thing described below). In your last email there was a screenshot with the internal database (print list). It would be more helpful if you took it with the same person as in the first screenshot (Eva), and if you scroll down and show the data field which is empty in the first picture (Custom 2).

I've noticed that data related to Seonyoung was shown on the canvas in incorrect fields. The data appeared in Custom 2 instead of Custom 3. I think that this could be caused by using incorrect line ending symbols (there are several types in the file). After converting them to CRLF format, the problem disappeared. I've sent you the converted file. Try to import it.

Nick
rostno

Postby rostno » September 29th, 2013, 6:42 am

I am having the same problem as the OP. Trying to print labels with four fields: First name. last name, ID number and date. I have exported these to a text file ( trying both tab and comma delimiters) and imported them into L&A. I map them to the data fields: First Name, Last Name, Custom 1 and Custom two on import. However, only the first and last name fields are populated. The custom fields remain blank. At this point I am stumped and disappointed. Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,
Robert
Nick

Postby Nick » September 29th, 2013, 9:27 am

Hi Robert,

On my computer import works correctly. I tried with tabs and commas. Please make sure that custom 1 and Custom 2 fields are present in your document.

If you still cannot import from a text file all fields, please send your Labels & Addresses document and file you imported from to support@belightsoft.com together with the link to this discussion.

If you have an old version of the program, update it.

Nick
rostno

Postby rostno » September 30th, 2013, 9:28 am

Hi Nick,
Thanks for your reply. Tried it all again this morning with a new copy of L&A and a new text file exported from FileMaker pro. No joy. Send a copy of the documents to tech support.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully a solution can be found even if it is user error.

Best wishes,
Robert
Nick

Postby Nick » September 30th, 2013, 10:07 am

Hi Robert,

We've received your files. I was able to import data from the text file correctly. All fields were populated with data (except those that don't have the any info in First Name position).

At the moment, I have no ideas what can cause the problem on your computer. Try this:
1. After importing, select 3-4 names in different parts of the list in the Source panel. Will names change? Will the rest two fields be populated?

2. Create a simple test file the way described below and see if all data fields are populated.
In TextEdit.app, create a new document. In its menu, select Format > Make Plain Text. Type two lines like these:
1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4
2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4
Press the Tab key to separate data, and Return in the end of each line.

Nick
rostno

Postby rostno » September 30th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Hi Nick.

No joy with either scenario you suggested. The custom fields were not populated while the names did change.
When i imported your suggested test file only the first two entries in each row (1.1, 1.2, 2.1 and 2.2) showed up in the Source list.

I logged into a different user account I use for testing and Labels and Addresses worked just fine. All the data came in and was visible. So now I am really perplexed. I repaired permissions hoping the voodoo factor would work, but no go. Unique problems like this must be a bear to track down. I appreciate your help and Yevgen from the support team. Hopefully a solution can be found.

Best wishes,
Robert
Nick

Postby Nick » October 1st, 2013, 3:32 am

Hi Robert,

Your experiment with another account is a great step forward. It seems that in your working account some settings or cached data is responcible for the problem. Try to return the program to the default state. Quit the program. Delete these files located in the Library folder in your Home:
~/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.LabelsAddresses.plist
~/Library/Caches/com.belightsoft.LabelsAddresses

To access each of them, copy the whole path, in the Finder choose Go > Go to Folder (Cmd-Shift-G). Then paste, and click the Go button. Move each folder to your Desktop and run L&A. Note that you'll be asked to input your license number. If everything is working, you can delete the items above from your Desktop.

Nick
rostno

Postby rostno » October 1st, 2013, 7:14 am

Hi Nick,

I am sorry to say that removing those files did not work. The Custom fields are not being populated. On a whim, I disabled Default Folder X to remove it from the import process and reimported the file. Still no joy. Also I ran the original Filemaker generated csv file through Numbers and imported that file with no success. Any other files that might be corrupting the import?

Thank you again for taking the time to try to resolve this problem.

Best wishes,
Robert
Nick

Postby Nick » October 1st, 2013, 8:21 am

Robert,

If in your test account another copy of L&A was used, you can try to re-install the program in the main account. If you used the same copy of L&A all the time, then reinstalling won't change anything.

Try to map fields in a different way:
1. Use the First and Last Name fields as before, but map the rest two input fields to Street and City (or anything but Custom). If this works, you can use it as a workaround.

2. Swap Name and Custom fields. Map First and Last Names to Custom, and the other fields to Name.

What will you get in cases 1 and 2? Create new documents for each.

Nick
rostno

Postby rostno » October 1st, 2013, 9:50 am

Hi Nick,

Whoohoo! Your suggestion to map the import data to other fields ( used Prefix and Suffix)worked like a charm. Definitely an easy work around.

Thanks very much for your persistence. I have always been impressed with the support you offer and it is now reaffirmed.

Thanks very much for your help.

Best wishes,
Robert

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”