Pasting Addresses

mrtoner

Postby mrtoner » May 19th, 2011, 7:41 pm

I quite often need to paste addresses that consist of a company name, etc., with no contact name. It sure would be nice if I didn't have to then move the company name from the first and last name fields to the company field. Perhaps a button that would move those for me?

Also, why is it that when I've manually entered an address, L&A marks my template dirty and I have to save or discard changes? Somewhat annoying when most of the time I launch the app to print a single envelope for a contact not in my Address Book.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 20th, 2011, 3:51 am

Hi mrtoner,

I quite often need to paste addresses that consist of a company name, etc., with no contact name. It sure would be nice if I didn't have to then move the company name from the first and last name fields to the company field. Perhaps a button that would move those for me?

We will consider such possibility for the future versions. At the moment, you can:
- Ignore the fact that the company name is placed into the personal name field. In the printed address it doesn't matter which field the program used for particular information.
- Create a custom address panel where the personal name takes place of the company name. This can be helpful if you cannot find any provided types of address panels.

Also, why is it that when I've manually entered an address, L&A marks my template dirty and I have to save or discard changes?

What did you mean?
If you paste the same address every time, you can save it in the document with no need to paste it again or re-save your document. If you print different addresses, the program detects changes and asks you what to do.
If you print different addresses but pick them from some database or a text file, you can import them to Labels & Addresses, and then choose the needed address from the left pane.

Nick
mrtoner

Postby mrtoner » May 20th, 2011, 10:21 am

You're right: I didn't consider that I don't need to move the data into the other field in most cases, so I can generally ignore that. There will be some cases where I do need the data moved, however.

Regarding manually entered addresses: when I change the displayed contact (from my Address Book, for example), L&A doesn't mark the template modified and ask that I save or discard changes. However, manually entering an address marks the template modified. It doesn't seem right that the manually-entered address should get saved with the template -- it's not a part of the template, only the data which the template is being used to format.

This requires I take the additional step of either saving or discarding changes, when no change has been made to the underlying template.

I suppose it's just a matter of differing opinion of whether or not that manually-entered address needs to be saved with the template. But I did find a bug in your implementation:

1. Open L&A, select an Address Book contact.
2. Modify only one item in the address and do not tab out of that field -- L&A marks the document modified.
3. Quit L&A, saving changes, then relaunch -- L&A shows the last contact selected without the changes made in step 2.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 23rd, 2011, 8:27 am

Hi,

Regarding manually entered addresses: when I change the displayed contact (from my Address Book, for example), L&A doesn't mark the template modified and ask that I save or discard changes.
On my computer it does. Once I choose a contact from the Address Book or type new information manually, the red button in the top left corner turn to (•) indicating unsaved document.

Thank you for reporting a bug! We will fix it.

I'm afraid that it is not possible to skip the additional step when you close the document. Try to use the shortcuts Cmd-Q (to quit) or Cmd-W (to close the document) and then Cmd-D (to "not save").

Nick

Return to “Labels & Addresses / Mail Factory”