[tips] Adding guides as bleed area marks…

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » January 10th, 2009, 12:50 pm

Hi all,
Here's a "small" and easy tip to display bleed area using guides.
This is not the only way to do this and one may use guides placed by hand or add a rectangular smart shape, yet I find this one easier as there's no need to move, place by hand, anything.
First of all, open the document setup pane (File>Document Setup…).
Then set all four margins values to a negative value (say - 5 mm if you need 5 mm bleed width and use mm as unit of course).

Close this pane then open the Layout Guides one (Insert>Layout Guides…).
Add four guides (one horizontal row and one vertical row), relative to margins (so they will be displayed outside the page boundary)

So, you have, now, four guides set to 5 mm from the edges of the page

If you need "normal" margins (margins inside the page) just set the four margins values from the Document Setup pane to the right values (say 5 mm) and use, this time, positive value(s) as usual.

If you do this, don't forget to turn off the "Remove existing layout guides" to avoid deleting bleed area guides you've just added when adding new guides.

Final result:

JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
mikec964

Postby mikec964 » March 31st, 2014, 9:18 pm

I miss this feature. Swift Publisher 3 won't let me put negative values into the margin boxes.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 1st, 2014, 2:34 am

Hi

I'll ask the developers to return this possibility back. Technically, you can place those guides to the desired positions manually.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » April 1st, 2014, 5:26 am

Neat guide JJ - I already used the minus trick to give me guides (or set them to zero if you don't want them) but adding the additional guides was new to me - thanks.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015

Return to “Swift Publisher”