Printing results in streaks

MacShane

Printing results in streaks

Postby MacShane » October 16th, 2016, 7:06 am

Details on setup:
I didn't know how much I would use SwiftPublisher. This program is great. I'm using version 4 on Mac OS X 10.11.16. I have a Brother DCP-9020CDW Color laser printer. I have it setup as two different printers in my settings. The first one is via AirPrint (apples drivers) and setup with 2. Brother's drivers off the CD. There is only one printer, just setup in my computer two different ways. I always print over the network, the printer is connected to my network wirelessly. I always print with every program with the AirPrint (apple drivers) because printing with the Brother drivers tends to give my printouts a faded look (with all programs). Ok, that is the details of the setup.

Problem:
I make a bulletin for our church every week, and every time I print it out of SP4, with the Brother setup with apple drivers, it streaks the printing. It looks terrible (1 page two sided). If I take that same document, and export it to a PDF, and print it using preview, it looks great. It is really strange. I have created a handful of different documents, and it really doesn't matter what it is, if it contains graphics, it streaks on printing.

Current work around.
Currently, I export my work to a PDF and print with Preview. This works flawlessly, but creates a few extra steps.

Any thoughts? Thanks for taking the time to read this.

MacShane
Nick

Re: Printing results in streaks

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2016, 8:48 am

Hi,

Please check the print settings in the Print dialog. First of all, make sure that Presets is set to Standard. You need to open the dialog as detailed view (click the Show Details button) in order to see what I'm talking about.

If the Presets is not the case, click on the "Swift Publisher" drop-down menu and check settings related to color and quality.

Also, you can try to find a similar problem description on the Brother's Troubleshooting page:
http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqlist.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=dcp9020cdw_eu&ftype3=1975

Nick
MacShane

Postby MacShane » October 22nd, 2016, 4:57 am

Ok, here are a couple of screenshots showing my settings. I do use presets because I have it setup to duplex the right way so I don't have to remember it.

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.49.50 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.49.50 AM.png (130.14 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

And the preset I use most:
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.51.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 11.51.45 AM.png (93.3 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

That shows all the settings of it. Not seeing anything about color management there... other than media quality which is set to: 'normal'.

MacShane
MacShane

Postby MacShane » October 22nd, 2016, 5:47 am

Sorry about the double post, I decided to check the other printer settings, and indeed there are a few more choices. Here are the screenshots of those options.
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 12.28.45 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 12.28.45 PM.png (131.94 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 12.28.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 12.28.33 PM.png (71.72 KiB) Viewed 2231 times

You notice a few more color options. I tinkered in that one a little bit to see if my printing quality comes out better. Perhaps it is just a setting in there. The 'AirBrother' one is the one with the Apple drivers not from the Brother CD that was provided with the printer. This one is the actual drivers that were provided with the CD.

Here are the two print outs compared side by side (hosted by dropbox):Image
The one on the left is the Brother drivers notice color is faded. The one on the right is the AirBrother notice the colors are very vibrant, but streaking in the center. If I export it to a PDF, and print it with Preview (Mac default PDF app), I don't get the streaking. That is why I pin it back to SwiftPublisher communication with the printer. Something is off there, and I can't seem to put my finger on it.

MacShane

PS - A picture is worth a 1,000 words, that saved me from typing a book. :)
Nick

Postby Nick » October 24th, 2016, 11:20 am

Hi

Thank you for the images. The printer settings show nothing abnormal. The only thing I've noticed, the two screenshots showing the color settings relate to the Current preset, while the earlier screenshots show another customized preset which may have different color settings.

The stripes in the right photo look to me as they originate not from software defect, but as they were made mechanically during the printing process (they seem to be uneven).

Also, the colors in the right hand picture look more intensive. Maybe the two printouts were made with different color or quality settings. With inkjet printers, if you select in the Print dialog that you want to print on plain paper with high quality, the printer will put more ink on the paper to make the picture more vivid. Then, if you actually print on glossy paper, there will be too much ink for this paper type. As a result, the ink may spread unevenly on the paper. I guess, something similar can happen with laser printers.

What you can do is to print from Swift Publisher with the Default preset (or with the same settings as you had in the Preview). Also make sure that you have specified the correct paper type (Media Type in your third screenshot).

Also, try to open the Print dialog with your document in Swift Publisher, click the PDF button and choose the "Open PDF in Preview" option. Then print with the preset you used in Swift Publisher. In this way, the Preview will recieve exactly the same document as Swift Publisher sends to the printer. If the defect is in the data that Swift Publisher sends to the printer, the Preview should also print streaks this time.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”