Toggle clipart panel button - bizarre behaviour

axys

Postby axys » April 17th, 2007, 4:01 pm

This has started behaving very oddly. Basically, clicking on it doesn't seem to work anymore unless I quit and start again and then it may or may not work for a few minutes and on some existing pages it just won't open at all. I've reloaded the 2.0.2 program to no avail. I don't use this button too often so I'm not sure when this started happening although the program does crash occasionally and it may have been after one of these. If I go via the menu bar the result is the same. If I load iPhoto library via View>Clipart>iPhoto library, I get the spinning wheel for a few seconds and then nothing but there is a tick on the menu. All suggestions gratefully received as I'm up against a deadline for my community paper! Using 10.4.9 on an Intel Mac Mini 1.8.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2007, 5:26 am

Hi,
Try to remove the Swift Publisher preferences file com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher.plist
from the
~(your home)/Library/Preferences
folder. Empty Trash before launching Swift Publisher again.

Maybe your iPhoto collection has a lot of photographs and rendering thumbnails takes some time.
What version of iPhoto do you have (see iPhoto > About iPhoto)?

You can drag images from iPhoto right into a Swift Publisher document. This will let you finish your community paper in time.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » April 18th, 2007, 5:49 am

I'd already tried trashing the the prefs, no change. Its not so much the need to access the photos, its the clipart I want and the fact that something is not working properly is always cause for concern! When it does work, there is a slight pause, a couple of seconds, whilst the thumbnails render but for 3800 pics I can live with that. I'm wondering if its something to do with the fact that for each issue I duplicate the previous issue and then edit each page of the duplicate. These files seem to be the ones permanently affected, although again not all of them. I'm looking for a pattern but can't find one as yet.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2007, 7:09 am

If it is possible to repeat the problem with the clipart panel, do this. Swift Publisher may white some information to the console log. Please send the log to support@belightsoft.com
To get the log, run the Console application (from the Applications/Utilities folder). Choose "File/Save a Copy As" in the menu of Console to save the log.

You have wrote that Swift Publisher crashed. Send us also the crash log:
~(Your Home)/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/Swift Publisher.crash.log

Try to completely remove and re-install Swift Publisher. This may help.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2007, 10:47 am

Thank you for logs, I have forwarded them to the developers.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » April 19th, 2007, 4:50 am

Hi axys,
Developers say that you have met two separate problems.

Crashes were not connected with the clipart. According to your crash log, SP crashed when you rotated a page when the background layer was open. The bug fix will get into the next update. For now, you should rotate pages when the foreground layer is active to avoid the problem.

It is not clear what causes the clipart problem. Maybe the most important question is what is loaded when you open the Clipart panel. By default this is the built-in collection of images (case 1). When you move to the iPhoto tab on the panel, after closing and opening the panel (not the program) the iPhoto collection will open (case 2).
In the case 2, you should just wait longer until all the thumbnails from iPhoto are rendered. Then open an album that contains the photos you work on (hope your photographs are grouped into albums). Since albums have smaller number of images, they will load quicker.
Case 1 may happen if file(s) of the built-in clipart are damaged, cannot be found, and so on. In this situation re-installing the program should help.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » April 19th, 2007, 9:42 am

Thanks for your speedy response. Re the clipart: when it works, the default case 1 opens and it all works as one would expect. When it doesn't work, nothing at all happens, clicking on the button has no result. Selecting via the menu leaves a tick by that selected but equally nothing at all happens. I thought I'd cracked it this morning by doing a 'Save as' the 'broken files' would then open and work as normal. However I've just come back to them and they're 'broken' again and doing a 'Save as' is not changing anything.

So, now I've deleted the program and the plist and reinstalled. Open the page, its fine, close it, open again and it isn't. Open other pages which have been fine, they're not anymore. Its weird and I can't see any pattern.

The other thing I've noticed through all this is that if I do open (or close) the clipart panel this isn't auto saved and there is no prompt if I close the page to do so. This is a UI issue I know but perhaps this could be looked at?
Nick

Postby Nick » April 20th, 2007, 2:30 am

Hi,
I have some more questions.

1. What did you mean by "broken files"?
There are missing text or images in the document, missing pages, wrong formatting ....
Could you send a sample document to check on a computer where Swift Publisher works fine?

2. Some problems with files on hard disk may be solved by the Disk Utility from the Applications/Utilities folder.
Run Repair Disc Permissions and Verify Disk for the volume(s) of your hard disk that contain Swift Publisher and your documents.

3. Your log shows that you have the HotService installed in the /Users/tim/Library/InputManagers/ folder. It is possible, that this service somehow affects the Swift Publisher interface.
Could you temporary disable HotService for an experiment? It seems to be enough to rename or move the InputManagers folder to other location and restart the computer. To restore, rename or move the folder back.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » April 22nd, 2007, 2:56 pm

Nick wrote:Hi, I have some more questions.

1. What did you mean by "broken files"? There are missing text or images in the document, missing pages, wrong formatting .... Could you send a sample document to check on a computer where Swift Publisher works fine?

Sorry, couldn't think of a better word to describe. I meant the files where the button does not work. I've sent two of these files to support.

Nick wrote:2. Some problems with files on hard disk may be solved by the Disk Utility from the Applications/Utilities folder. Run Repair Disc Permissions and Verify Disk for the volume(s) of your hard disk that contain Swift Publisher and your documents.

I've already done all of that.

Nick wrote:3. Your log shows that you have the HotService installed in the /Users/tim/Library/InputManagers/ folder. It is possible, that this service somehow affects the Swift Publisher interface. Could you temporary disable HotService for an experiment? It seems to be enough to rename or move the InputManagers folder to other location and restart the computer. To restore, rename or move the folder back.

I'd no idea Hot Service was running, don't know where it came from! Disabled it anyway and its made no difference. I've tried the files on my G4 iBook (10.4.9) and they have the same problem so its doesn't seem to be machine or processor specific.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 23rd, 2007, 3:38 am

Hi axys,

Thank you for documents! Now it's clear what is happening.
You have closed the clipart panel by using the splitter bar, not the corresponding button or menu item. This state of the clipart panel was saved into the documents. Drag the splitter to the right to open the clipart, then the toggle button and menu will work again.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » April 24th, 2007, 3:55 am

Well, my apologies for overlooking the blindingly obvious! These files still don't seem to work as I would expect and it takes a couple of goes for the the clipart button to 'take'. I'll live with it. However, and more importantly, it seems to me that there is a fundamental UI problem here, which I've referred to above ie that changes to the window eg size, scale, are not autosaved which is something I really feel needs addressing. Thanks for your prompt responses; I'm really enjoying the program!
Last edited by axys on April 24th, 2007, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 25th, 2007, 3:32 am

We will change the behavior of UI in the next version.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”