Export A5 PDF on A4 page?

rossedwards

Export A5 PDF on A4 page?

Postby rossedwards » September 22nd, 2015, 4:47 am

Hi all,

I'm a new convert to Swift Publisher; I've been using the MS product for years - finally, I've found a decent alternative!

Most of my projects are A5-sized theatre programmes, which I have to submit to my printer as A5 on an A4 page, with crop and bleed marks.

I've worked out how to add the crop and bleed marks, but can't see how to export my A5 document on an A4 page... Is this actually possible within the product, or should I be looking at an alternative PDF printer product?

Cheers,

Ross.
axys

Re: Export A5 PDF on A4 page?

Postby axys » September 22nd, 2015, 6:41 am

One way would be to set up your A5 document and then export that with crop and bleed. Then open a new A4 file, drag and drop the A5 pdf onto it, right click to resize to original size (long standing bug here - double click to open edit and then close, this will let you go to original size if right click is greyed first time round). Centre on the A4 page and then export that as a pdf without crop or bleed. Keep to the highest resolution 600dpi for both stages.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
rossedwards

Postby rossedwards » September 22nd, 2015, 11:13 am

axys wrote:One way would be to set up your A5 document and then export that with crop and bleed. Then open a new A4 file, drag and drop the A5 pdf onto it, right click to resize to original size (long standing bug here - double click to open edit and then close, this will let you go to original size if right click is greyed first time round). Centre on the A4 page and then export that as a pdf without crop or bleed. Keep to the highest resolution 600dpi for both stages.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go.

Shame it's not available from the outset, though!
axys

Postby axys » September 25th, 2015, 1:19 pm

I suppose an alternative would be to start with an A4 and set up an A5 'frame' in the centre of it. Lay out your A5, manually add crop marks and export that as a pdf.

Whenever I've sent an A5 pdf to printers, I've just set up and laid out an A5 page and exported that with crop and bleed - not sure why your printer needs an A4.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
follow_my_ruin

Postby follow_my_ruin » May 15th, 2018, 4:05 am

Frankly, I don't know how to change the size manually through the settings - I'd never created that type of projects. If there's no option or it has to be unobvious, you can edit your ready-to-go pdf file before printing it. You can do it via Adobe, maybe Foxit, I use this tool e.g. https://edit-pdf.pdffiller.com/ the main thing is that your editor should recognize the layers of document clearly, you'll see. Do hope it would come in use

Return to “Swift Publisher”