Best format for import?

hettingr

Best format for import?

Postby hettingr » May 27th, 2015, 4:00 pm

Hello. I am publishing a newsletter for many people who are expecting to send me articles for inclusion. Sometimes getting a Word copy from them is good enough. I can paste it from Pages, edit it and make it work.

The biggest issue comes when they send me well-formatted complex pages. Word files are not received accurately in mac Pages.

.pdf comes to my mac well, but doesn't import to Swift Publisher.

Maybe I should be asking for individual TIFF files of each page, but that is problematic.

Has anybody cracked this nut? What format do you ask for submissions in?
Nick

Re: Best format for import?

Postby Nick » May 28th, 2015, 2:40 pm

Hi

PDF is the best format as I'd doesn't make text pixelated. With the same quality, a TIFF would have to be at very high resolution making your document file size big and uncomfortable to work with.

With simple formatting, it is better to recreate the original articles in Swift Publisher so that you can fully control the content, for instance, to have the same font for text.

Nick
hettingr

Re: Best format for import?

Postby hettingr » May 30th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Part of my problem came from the fact that I didn't know how to get individual pages from a pdf.

I have since discovered that in mac Preview, I can open a pdf that I need to import, go to thumbnail view, slide the thumbnail of the single page I need to my desktop which creates "Filename (dragged).pdf", and then take that dragged single page and import it to Swift Publisher as a page. It cannot be edited, and sometimes it shows up not quite as crisp in the pdf file I export, but it prints off completely crisp and clean, so I think I am a happy camper.

Return to “Swift Publisher”