Can't Get Export to PDF to Work Right

peterthooper

Can't Get Export to PDF to Work Right

Postby peterthooper » February 19th, 2015, 11:12 pm

For a 213-page B&W book (with color covers), I have a problem getting it to export in PDF.

Here's what happens: With some experience prior with this problem, I make sure to re-start my machine to clear all but the most necessary processes out of active memory. I then launch SwiftPublisher with the book I'm in the final stages of completing. (It loads just fine. In fact, everything works just fine expect this one thing.) I then request the program to export in PDF format. It starts to look like it will do this, but after a few pages, SwiftPublisher crashes. I then reopen it, and try again. Again, after a few, _different number of pages_, it crashes again. I do this over and over, and each time, the program gets just so far, and then crashes, and the number of pages it shows processing before crashing varies seemingly at random, fluctuating between single digit values and values up to nearly three quarters of the total. Finally, after many tries--sometimes in excess of 50--the program does not complete the export, but it also _does not crash_. At that point, when I submit the request to export again, it works.

If possible, I'd like to avoid this ringamarole. Any ideas?

I'm running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) with 8Gb of RAM on a 2009 MacBook Pro.
Nick

Re: Can't Get Export to PDF to Work Right

Postby Nick » February 20th, 2015, 3:26 am

Hi,

To fix or avoid this problem we need to know what happens. It can help if you send the following details to support@belightsoft.com
1. Your document. If it is big enough for emailing, please upload it to some file sharing online server and send a download link. Before emailing or uploading the document, compress it in Finder (right-click on the file and choose Compress...).

2. Export settings that are displayed if you click on the Options button in the Export dialog. You can take a screenshot of this dialog by pressing Cmd-Shift-4, and find the created image on your Desktop.

3. Crash and Console logs. You need to repeat the problem in order to have these logs. The Crash Reporter window opens up automatically. Click on the Report button and copy all text from the Crash Reporter window to your email.

To save the Console log, open the Console application from the Applications/Utilities folder. Choose "All Messages" in the left panel. Then select File > Save a Copy As in the menu of Console to save the log.

To attempt to avoid the problem:
1. Try to export to PDF using the Print dialog. Instead of the Print button, click on the PDF button and choose Save as PDF.

2. Try to alter the export options. First, set
Bleeds: off
Image Quality: Original
Format as Booklet: off
Workflow: none
Convert text to curves: off

Then test exporting with Image Quality set to Original and Low.

Nick
peterthooper

Postby peterthooper » February 20th, 2015, 10:01 pm

I'd happily do all of that which you ask, except today (still with 3.3.7), I get this:

"Swift Publisher 3 cannot be opened because of a problem.

"Check with the developer to make sure Swift Publisher 3 works with this version of the Mac OS X. You may need to reinstall the application. Be sure to install any available updates [sic] for the application and Mac OS X.

"Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple."

Needless to say, this has never happened before.

Foolishly, I purchased the application via the Apple App Store (never again!), and so the procedure for reinstallation is proving to be obscure. (I'm looking now.)

As I can, I will endeavor to get through this setback (and the fact that I now have NO WAY of accessing my book), and then send the items you call for, with the console log entries you call for, too.
peterthooper

Postby peterthooper » February 20th, 2015, 10:16 pm

Also, key to uninstalling and reinstalling the application is this question: if I remove, as well, associated ~/Library/Preferences and ~/Library/Application Support files, how will that affect the document in which I've been working for the better part of a year?

And, in an attempt to fix this without uninstalling the application, if I remove only these (possibly corrupted) files, how will that affect my document?
Nick

Postby Nick » February 21st, 2015, 3:46 am

Hi,

The system requirements suggest that the program should work with OS X 10.6.8. Please try download version 3.3.7 from our site and run it on your computer in the trial mode. Will it open with no error messages? If it won't, send us the Console log and new error message it it is shown.

If you remove the program and all its supporting files, but keep your documents, the latter will remain intact. So before deleting the program, locate all critical documents you created in it to make sure they are outside the program folders.

You may need to know that custom templates are stored in one of program folders (inside Application Support, or in Containers in case of the App Store version). If you need your templates, copy them to another folder.

Nick
peterthooper

Postby peterthooper » February 21st, 2015, 7:40 pm

Hi, Nick,

Ok. The Trial Version of the Application worked. While it was activated, I attempted to export, as noted above (NOT--for reasons of making a fair test that would duplicate the conditions I explained--making the optional parameter changes you suggest). I've captured the console log, and the "send-to-apple" report one gets upon the instance of a crash, and I will forward these, along with a copy of my document, as soon as I can.

Your proposed work-around (printing to PDF) seems to work fine (though I'm not entirely sure it will result in exactly like what I want to send to the printing company I'm using here), except, of course, the current (working) copy of the program watermarked each page with the notice that the document was printed with a Trial version.

I have related question, meanwhile, though. I'm having a devil of the time getting a fresh copy of the application from the Apple App Store. (I've emailed them about this, but so far, no response.)

In addition to Swift Publisher, I've also bought (also from the App Store, alas!) Font Kit Mix, Image Tricks Pro, and Art Text 2. What I'd like to do is arrange proof with BeLight that I've done this, and then obtain registered, licensed copies (with registration codes) directly from the company, so that if this sort of thing happens again, I'm able to reinstall a copy from a backup saved on my machine. Understand, within obvious inherent limits of the application--much of which for me pertains to the length of documents I need to prepare, that is to say, books,--I'm very happy with Swift Publisher, and the adjunct tools that work well with it. I'm very reluctant to continue purchasing through the Apple App Store, though. Can a switch like this be done? How do I proceed?

Thank you for your kind attention to these messages.

Wes
Last edited by peterthooper on February 21st, 2015, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
peterthooper

Postby peterthooper » February 21st, 2015, 7:52 pm

Crashlog, Console.log, Console Log as RTF and compressed original document sent...
Thank you, again.
Nick

Postby Nick » February 23rd, 2015, 4:04 am

Thanks for sending us your files. Our developers will check them.

In order to get a license for Swift Publisher downloaded from our site, please contact sales@belightsoft.com - please mention this forum topic.

I tried to export your document to PDF and found that version 3.3.7 can export on OS X 10.8.5, but cannot on 10.6.8. An earlier version 3.2.1 worked. Templates could be exported on 10.6.8 using v3.3.7. It seems that the problem somehow relates to fonts.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”