SP3 desires and updates

axys

SP3 desires and updates

Postby axys » January 8th, 2015, 8:00 am

There was a lot of discussion when SP3 was first launched - almost 3 years ago - about various 'improvements' to the interface which most felt were the opposite. However, we've not seen any real updates to SP3 since its launch, save for bug fixes and compatibility with new OS's. So I thought I'd start the new year with my request list as below - don't get me wrong, I love SP and use it every day, but some of these points would be a huge improvement to usability, which is what it is all about after all! I'm sure others can pitch in with their comments and desires in the hope that we get a solid upgrade this year.

1. Fixed inspector - there was a lot of discussion about this when SP3 was launched - the consensus was that it was a backwards move and the option for tear off was really wanted.

2. Add layer control in a window to the Inspector - its much quicker just to click on a layer rather than one or two clicks on the drop down menu. Have a look at MacDraft for an intuitive way to do this.

3. Pages Panel needs an option to be open all the time as SP2. This was called for back in the 2012 discussions.

4. Dynamic zooming has been asked for before - using key-scroll ball for instance

5. I use the space outside the document all the time for storing text and images - in SP2 this was always visible, whether in preview mode or not, but in SP3 this has been altered, for the worse in my view, by only being visible when not in preview mode. This behaviour could be optional via the preferences for instance.

6. The rotate button in Geometry is terrible - no subtlety at all - I have to type in an angle multiple times to carefully rotate. Please bring back the slider AND the up and down arrows for maximum flexibility.

7. Can Flip be altered to work to work on rectangles, text etc rather than just images?

8. Printing issues remain - even though I set up an A3 landscape when I go to print it shows A4 in the paper size and preview. Changing to A3 keeps the A4 preview. Speed of the pre-printing process is still laboured - I've reported this before.

9. Prefs - add landscape as an option to 'Open on start-up - blank document'

10. I'd like to see an Eraser tool added.

11. More line options would be really useful - line ends (arrows etc) for instance - been waiting since SP2!

12. On a plus point (!) the Spline Tool is an excellent addition and works really well. An Arc tool would be a useful compliment to this.
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Re: SP3 desires and updates

Postby Nick » January 9th, 2015, 8:38 am

Thanks for your detailed comments. I'll pass them to the Product Manager.

7. Can Flip be altered to work to work on rectangles, text etc rather than just images?

As far as I can see, Flip doesn't work only with text. Rectangles and splines can be flipped.

8. Printing issues remain - even though I set up an A3 landscape when I go to print it shows A4 in the paper size and preview. Changing to A3 keeps the A4 preview. Speed of the pre-printing process is still laboured - I've reported this before.

Programmers say that Swift Publisher cannot set up the paper format in the Print dialog, and the user need to do this manually.
The program can take some time when prepares to print if the document contains large images. to verify if this is the issue, you can try to open and simulate printing of one of such images using the Preview.app. If its delay is similar to Swift Publisher's, there is not much we can do about it. Note that the comparison won't be fair if there are many big images in Swift Publisher vs. one in Preview.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » January 13th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Flip has never worked for me on squares/rectangles even though the buttons are not greyed. It doesn't work on text - but the flip buttons are greyed. It does work on line and grouped lines, splines and images etc.

More desires;

1. Allow the source panel to default to being closed on opening a new document - as it is in SP2. Every time I open a new document I have to close the source panel. This could be altered in the Prefs along with the page orientation requested above.

2. Spline Tool - when closing a shape the dot to the RH side to indicate a snap is minuscule - this needs to be a lot clearer - perhaps the pen could change colour or some other visual cue that can be seen?

3. Line tool - this does not behave well for drawing more than one line at once. Double click the icon and draw the first line and it doesn't want to do anything else - the second line does not snap or link to the first. I have to draw the second line towards the end of the first, which is a back to front process, to get a snap. In addition, the click-drag behaviour is not consistent with the click-click of the Spline tool (which is much better).
SP user for 11 years --- v2, 3, 4, 5.0.6 --- Mac OS 10.11.6 --- iMac Retina 5k 27" late 2015
Nick

Postby Nick » January 14th, 2015, 5:59 am

Hi

Flip has never worked for me on squares/rectangles even though the buttons are not greyed. It doesn't work on text - but the flip buttons are greyed. It does work on line and grouped lines, splines and images etc.

If I fill a rectangle with an image of gradient, I can see how the image/gradient gets flipped. Does this work on your computer?

I'll add your suggestions to our list. Here are my comments:
1. Normally, the program should save and restore the state of its interface when you quit and reopen it. So, if you don't need the Source panel, you hide it and the program keeps it hidden when you open a new document. As far as I can see, SP opens the Source panel all the time, so maybe fixing this could be an alternative for your request.

2. It is not typical to colorize the cursor. Maybe we'll make the circle bigger.

3. The Line tool is supposed to create individual lines not paths. This is why the Spline tool was added.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » January 14th, 2015, 7:20 am

Nick wrote:Hi

If I fill a rectangle with an image of gradient, I can see how the image/gradient gets flipped. Does this work on your computer?
Nick

Nick - thanks for the reply -

If I draw a rectangle with a fill and click Flip nothing happens.
If I change the fill to liner and click Flip, the linear fill flips, but not the rectangle.

I would suggest this is incorrect - Flip is under the Position Pane and clearly relates to the selected item and changing the direction of the gradient fill is (also) controlled by the Appearance Pane

In fairness, the manual does say Flip is for images - 'Images can also be flipped vertically and horizontally. Text, however, can not.'

My point is that Rectangles should be flippable as well.

Nick wrote:1. Normally, the program should save and restore the state of its interface when you quit and reopen it. So, if you don't need the Source panel, you hide it and the program keeps it hidden when you open a new document. As far as I can see, SP opens the Source panel all the time, so maybe fixing this could be an alternative for your request.

Yes, the Source panel opens each time regardless of the saved state - this is incorrect behaviour. Fixing it would be a good alternative!

Nick wrote:3. The Line tool is supposed to create individual lines not paths. This is why the Spline tool was added.

Fair point, but its behaviour could still be improved as suggested.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 14th, 2015, 8:23 am

Flipping rectangles:
If you flip a default rectangle (no gradients or images), you'll get a rectangle of the same size on the same place - it will look exactly the same way as before flipping. That is flipping makes no change. Am I missing something?

3. On my computer, when I'm drawing a new line, it snaps to an end of a previously added one. Please check if "Align to object edges" option is activated in the Design tab of the program preferences.
What I found annoying is that I cannot begin a new line at the end of another line. Instead of drawing, the cursor grabs and moves a handle of the line.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » January 21st, 2015, 4:48 am

I've asked the developers about flipping rectangles. They say that the program flips rectangles in a different way comparing with other objects, and this was done on purpose.

Nick
axys

Postby axys » January 30th, 2015, 10:56 am

Nick wrote:Flipping rectangles:
If you flip a default rectangle (no gradients or images), you'll get a rectangle of the same size on the same place - it will look exactly the same way as before flipping. That is flipping makes no change. Am I missing something?
Nick

If it is drawn at an angle of say 45 deg to the left, I would expect flipping it give it an angle of 45 deg to the right, but it doesn't - it flips on itself, which is pointless, unless it has a gradient/image. I goes we would need to know what the pivot point is. Perhaps I am expecting too much.

Nick wrote:3. On my computer, when I'm drawing a new line, it snaps to an end of a previously added one. Please check if "Align to object edges" option is activated in the Design tab of the program preferences.
What I found annoying is that I cannot begin a new line at the end of another line. Instead of drawing, the cursor grabs and moves a handle of the line.
Nick

Yes, that’s my point - you have to draw from C to B to avoid it snatching and then adjust C, instead of just being able to draw A to B to C. It is annoying!
Nick

Postby Nick » January 31st, 2015, 6:29 am

Hi

Flipping rectangles:
When rotated, a rectangle doesn't mirror it's angle—this was done deliberately. I don't agree with this behavior but couldn't convince the developers to switch to normal flipping so far.

Drawing lines:
I've added this issue to our list of improvement.

Nick
peterthooper

Postby peterthooper » February 19th, 2015, 11:23 pm

The only thing I'd add to the list above, is this: Please don't do like everyone else does and call for a compulsory upgrade in OS to run the new release. I run Snow Leopard on my machine for very good reasons, and I'd like to be able to purchase and run a version of Swift Publisher 4, in the future, if it appears. I won't do that if there isn't a Snow Leopard version.
axys

Postby axys » July 13th, 2015, 4:07 am

So we've not seen any improvements to SP for a long time - many people have made many useful suggestions over the last 3.5 years, yet practically nothing has happened in that time. Has SP been abandoned? Are there plans for any improvements at all? And the most important question - what's happened to Nick??!!
Ajax

Postby Ajax » July 14th, 2015, 4:43 am

Do not worry, the project isn't abandoned and it is in active development. Nick also feels good, just handed over forum to me so appear here less frequently. But you can always PM him if you would like to contact him personally :)
** SCOTT Genius for YevGenius ;) ** MTB Rider **
bobert

Postby bobert » August 20th, 2015, 4:47 am

I'm very new to Swift Publisher so the items i've written below may have been already addressed by others. But i will write them again because they still exist. Unless, i'm too new to know they are no longer exist. :)

Things that are confusing.

1. Create a Master page with custom margins eg 17.5mm left and 22.5mm right and then apply this master page to a content page. No problems. Click page icon in the inspector panel Document margins still show the default of 5.3mm left and 5.3mm right for the Content page. Why?

2. Select some text. Open Inspector Panel, click "T". "Fonts" button shows "A". Why not show which font is active rather than just the "A" symbol. Why is it necessary to open the dialog to see which font is active?

3. Inspector Panel, click "T". click "A" for fonts. Change font size. This change is not reflected in the font size box for the selected text until you deselect the text and then re-select it.

4. Assume a paragraph formatted with font *censored* and font size nn. Now change the font size for a single word in this paragraph. Do not change the font name. Reselect the paragraph, open the font dialog. The font dialog does not show the font name used in the paragraph text. It shows nothing as the selected font.

5. Inspector Panel, click "T". Font Size box; tip in 11.00 pt. no problems; tip in 11.00pt with no space in between ".00" and "pt" entry is not accepted.

...new topic

Master pages.

Create a master page, very nice. But now i've got to load formatted text boxes into the master page to make it usable. For example, a multi-chapter book will need multi-loads for each chapter-first-page. And multi-loads for each left-right page. Can we not have a Master page with a writable formatted layer? Yes, I can create pseudo master pages from the content pages and then just duplicate them but then i don't really need master pages do i? or am i missing something?

Is it not possible to have the master pages 'nameable'? A,B,C,D is not really very helpful when one is working with many master pages.

Master Pages "Select All" does not highlight selection until you scroll the page bar. Same is true with Select Odd Even. Why no auto refresh? Same situation with Content Pages.

...scary. Once you remove the Foreground Layer from a content page or master page it is gone forever, right? There is no recovery, right?

None of the above is to be taken as a rant. I like the app. I'd just like to see it a little better. Can we expect an update soon????????

Return to “Swift Publisher”