Rotated content is 'distorted'

wkpeter

Rotated content is 'distorted'

Postby wkpeter » June 30th, 2014, 7:33 am

Is there a setting somewhere that determines how rotated content is handled.

If I insert a graphic file (a jpg in my case) and slightly rotate it, the final output (tiff, jpeg, pdf doesn't matter) all the straight lines inside my graphic appear jagged or distorted.

I probably missed something, but I don't know what but this can't be right.
Nick

Re: Rotated content is 'distorted'

Postby Nick » July 1st, 2014, 2:39 am

Hi,

The rotated content mustn't be distortord, and therefore there are no settings to control this. Jagged lines could appear because of insufficient image resolution, and when the image is raster (not vector).

A quick way to check the image resolution is to right-click on the image and select Original Size. If the image becomes 2 or more times largeк, its resolution can be considered as sufficient.

To find out what happens with the rotated image, please send your Swift Publisher document to support@belightsoft.com together with a screenshot of a distorted image and the link to this topic.

To take a screenshot, press Cmd-Shift-4 and select the needed area on the screen. The created picture will be saved on your Desktop.

Nick
wkpeter

Postby wkpeter » July 1st, 2014, 5:37 am

Hello Nick,
Thanks for your reply.
I just revisited Swift Publisher and tried to recreate the problem and I can't.
I think I know what I did wrong. When I inserted the image, the placed image was not at it's original size, but much reduced (would be nice if Swift Publisher placed images at 100%).
I then grabbed a corner and stretched it out to fill my page, but the keyboard shortcuts to lock aspect ratio while dragging is different from Indesign.
So I must have scaled the image disproportionally.

I have since also discovered the pulldown inside the inspector that tells how the image should be handled (fit, stretch, crop...) Apparently it defaults to stretched, so my aspect ratio was probably not maintained. If I just had set it to 'Fit' I would have probably not seen the jagged lines.
Another feature request I have is the possibility to move the image inside it's containing frame (I've seen this request from other users as well) or at least the possibility to make and release masks (as is done in indesign, quark...), and a third feature request would be to give the frame rounded corners with pixel precision in the inspector (I know there is a smart shape, but this does not get the same results).
Nick

Postby Nick » July 1st, 2014, 6:23 am

The Fit, Stretch and Fill options in the Inspector couldn't distort your image. When you choose any of them, you tell the program how to fit the image into the frame given. Since the image and its frame have exactly the same aspect ratio, the image won't be stretched or trimmed. The changes would take place if you drop, for example, a rectangular image into a square one.

The possibility to move the image inside it's containing frame:
You can do this using the Crop mode. Right-click on the image and select the Crop command. Then drag the image inside its frame.

The possibility to make and release masks (as is done in indesign, quark...):
If you mean a tool such as the clipping mask, then Swift Publisher uses a different way. While clipping masks are based on a contour, our program uses gray scale raster images.

I've passed your suggestions to the developers.

Nick
wkpeter

Postby wkpeter » July 2nd, 2014, 2:28 am

Hi Nick, many thanks for your help.
Every time I dismiss Swift Publisher, you jump in with an explanation of how to do things in Swift Publisher.
I just purchased a copy, even if I won't use it directly to replace Indesign, I just wanted to support you.

The crop feature is exactly what I was looking for, thank you. But now this raises my next question. Since the crop lets me move and resize the frame, and I see I can move the image freely inside the frame. Is there also the possibility to resize the image inside the frame ? Or do I first need to set image at the desired size and then start moving and resizing the frame (this is a little counter-productive since in a layout you'd first set the frame to fit the layout and then go about adjusting the size of the image inside the frame).

About the clipping masks. Swift Publisher now uses alpha masks, which are handy and useful, but having clipping masks based on contours have their place too.
When the ability comes to have rounded corners (or even with the smart shapes now) this enables a user to clip off the excess visible stuff that falls outside the rounded corner. I know I can use the pen tool and draw a shape on top of the corner and fill it with a background color, but it's a bit messy.

Anyway, thanks so much for all you tips, they are really appreciated.
I can't wait to see what a future version will bring.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 2nd, 2014, 3:44 am

Is there also the possibility to resize the image inside the frame ? Or do I first need to set image at the desired size and then start moving and resizing the frame (this is a little counter-productive since in a layout you'd first set the frame to fit the layout and then go about adjusting the size of the image inside the frame).

You can use the Tile tool in the Appearance tab of the Inspector (an option present in the Fill, Stretch,... list). By setting smaller values, you can make the image bigger than its frame. In my opinion, the numeric value is a bit confusing. To understand it, set the image to the original size upon right-clicking. Now, 1 makes one copy per frame, 2 - two copies and so on. Then, when you resize the image frame, the tile size remains the same.

Thanks for explaining your idea about clipping masks. I've added it to the feature request list.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”