UI Anomalies

Mark.T

Postby Mark.T » March 23rd, 2007, 6:18 am

As I see them, I will post about some odd UI behaviour.

1) I have a block of text with a 14 point heading and the body in 10 point.

If I select the 10 point text, the text panel of the inspector window shows this as 14 point text. if I go to the main Fonts panel, it correctly says that this is 10 point.

If I change the text panel of the inspector window to show 10 point, it reverts to 14 point.

2) When selecting multiple objects, the slection is indicated by 'corners' which represent the furthest extent of the rectangle which would encompass all the selected objects. However, this obscures which objects are actually selected.

Draw a small box and fill it in blue.
Duplicate the box, change the fill to red and put it next to the blue box.
Selcet both and duplicate so you end up with a line of red and blue boxes.
Select only the blue boxes. You cannot now see which boxes are selected and which are not because the 'corners' only represent the overall rectangle that all selected objects fit within.

3) Shift does not seem to work to constrain when moving or duplicating objects. It does work when rotating objects.

Best Wishes

Mark Townsend
Nick

Postby Nick » March 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am

Hi,

1) Will be fixed.
2) Such a behaviour was made specially for group operation like the group resize. The frame, that encompasses all the objects, is necessary.
3)
Shift does not seem to work to constrain when moving or duplicating objects. It does work when rotating objects.

I'm not sure, that I understand you. When you move and duplicate objects, they constrain proportions without Shift. Am I missing something?

Nick
Mark.T

Postby Mark.T » March 23rd, 2007, 4:15 pm

2) I understand your point but it still makes it impossible to know which objects are selected. If you look at how Pages handles this, you can see that it is much more user friendly.

3) Draw a box. I now want to move it but I want to constrain this movement so the box only moves exactly vertically or horizontally. Normally, I would hold down a modifier key and move the box. In SP, this does not happen.
The contraining action that you are referring to is seen when you scale an object but not when you move the object.

Mark
Nick

Postby Nick » March 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Hi,

2) Pages show handles of each object when you select several objects. But, it resizes only one of them (whose handles you drag). Swift Publisher resizes the whole group.
The group resizing by using the Inspector in Pages is not very useful.

What about selecting multiple objects keeping the Shift key down?

3) Thank you for explanation. We will consider your suggestion.

Nick
Mark.T

Postby Mark.T » March 26th, 2007, 10:09 am

2) I am only using Pages as an example and I am not saying Pages is perfect. As you say, Pages shows the handles on each object so I can clearly see what is selected. If I want to scale all these objects, I can group them and it then displays handles in the same way as SP.

New UI Items

4) I cannot find a 'Group Objects' option.
I am using your flyer template 'Computer Courses and this has many small graphic boxes. If I want to move the graphics boxes a little I must reselect them one by one each time I want to move them all if I have deselected them by clicking somewhere else.
This is very time consuming. If there is a grouping option, can you tell me where it is and if there is not a grouping option, whY?

5) The 'Find...' funtion only seems to work when I have selected the text of a single text box (or set of linked text boxes. I want to be able to 'Find...' across all text boxes.
Spell Check seems to work across all text boxes.

6) Text Wrap - text in the foreground layer will not wrap around objects in the background layer. This significantly reduces the usefulness of the background layer.

Best Wishes

Mark
Nick

Postby Nick » March 27th, 2007, 3:18 am

Hi Mark,

Swift Publisher does not have the grouping operation. We are thinking about adding it in SP.

I have added your suggestion about the "Find..." function to our list.

We did not make the Text Wrap feature work with objects from both layers to leave them independent. Separate layers make the program more flexible. You can create a document in which background and foreground text flow around own objects, and wrapping on the different layers do not interact.
What you want can be achieved by moving one or several objects into the same layer. Or, add to the text layer invisible objects that cause text wrapping as the text flows around a background object.

Nick
Mark.T

Postby Mark.T » March 27th, 2007, 3:35 am

Grouping - One solution I have found for my problem is to select all the objects I want to group, copy, paste into Image Tricks and save as a graphic.

Text Wrap - I agree that the 'Text Wrap in different layers' is handled differently in different apps and it is not realistic to say that one option is 'right' and one is 'wrong'.

My preference would be default to ON, that is background objects can text wrap. Why? because I can easily select the background objects and turn the text wrap off in the Inspector window.

What if the user wants to text wrap some text around a background object using text also on the background layer AND have foreground text that does not wrap? This is a less likely situation but it is possible.

Traditionally, the Text Wrap option is attached to the object, ie, 'Select Text Wrap to push text away from the edges of this object'.
How would the code react to attaching the Text Wrap option to the text box itself, ie, 'Select Text Wrap to avoid the edges of other objects'

I really like SP which is why I want to invest the time in feedback to you guys.

Best Wishes

Mark
Nick

Postby Nick » March 27th, 2007, 5:16 am

Hi,
We will keep the present behavior of the text wrapping.

Nick
plamormick

Postby plamormick » April 10th, 2007, 3:05 pm

two quick thoughts:
1) i miss the object grouping also, but, i have found that selecting all of the objects you wish to move by shift-clicking them selects them all. then, you can use the arrow keys to move them (obviously inconvenient if you have to go more than 20 units in any direction)

2) the template i just used had a blank object in the forground to control text wrapping around an image placed on the background page. this forground object was selectable and resizable, allowing me to control pretty well how i wanted the two columns of text to wrap around a centrally-placed image.

i hope these two ideas will help.

BTW- Swift publisher demolishes Pages for what i do (mostly flyers and brochures), IMHO.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 11th, 2007, 6:27 am

Hi,
When you move the selected object(s) with the arrow keys, press the Shift key to make steps greater.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”