Vector Stuff

Gregman

Postby Gregman » December 4th, 2013, 6:21 pm

New to publishing. SP has been great for my needs except...

I want to have a local shop print a large banner of something I created with SP3. I would give them my PDF version on a USB flash drive. They asked if I was using Illustrator and need to create the product using vector images.

Haven't a clue here.

Can the PDF files I create with SP3 that would be suitable to enlarge on this banner?

Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 5th, 2013, 6:13 am

Hi Gregman,

No problem with texts. All of them are exported in vector format. Images you add in your document can be either vector or raster. Swift Publisher cannot convert raster graphics to vector format (some specialized programs can but the quality of resulting images can be unsatisfactory).

To create scalable PDF, images you add to Swift Publisher document should be vector originally. Our program can import vector graphics in PDF and EPS formats. Note that having such files can also contain raster graphics. To make sure you have vector, open image in Preview.app and zoom in (let's say until 1000%). If you cannot see any pixels, and all tilt and curved lines are smooth, the image is likely to be vector.

In case of using clip arts, make sure that you pick only vector images. In our clip art, most images are raster.

Also, effects like gradient fill and shadows are raster even if the object is vector. Images edited in the Edit Image window (opens up by double-clicking) are raster.

You can see lots of limitations because vector images easily convert to raster format.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”