OSX Mavericks

Nick

Postby Nick » October 31st, 2013, 10:27 am

Unregistered Swift Publisher creates the preferences file the same way as a registered one. Non-AppStore edition saves this file to this folder in your Home:
~/Library/Preferences/

If it doesn't, this may indicate a problem with saving files. To verify if settings can be saved, you can turn off opening the template gallery by choosing Blank Document instead of Template Gallery in the Preferences dialog (Cmd-,). Then quit and reopen the program. If your choice was respected, the program was able to save it.

In one of my previous posts, I asked to send me Swift Publisher hang log (it can be shown after forced quitting). Please check this folder on your computer (it is Library in your account, not the system one):
~/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports/
If there are any logs related to Swift Publisher, please send them to support@belightsoft.com
Sometimes logs help to localize the problem.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » October 31st, 2013, 11:14 am

I guess I'm going crazy but there are no com.belightsoft preference files in any library on my HD. However, the Preferences settings (start up with blank page etc) are remembered.

Very bizarre!

I've emailed the crash logs.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 1st, 2013, 5:17 am

You can use Spotlight to search for "com.belightsoft.SwiftPublisher3".

Thank you for logs! We will examine them.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » November 2nd, 2013, 9:12 am

I'm starting to feel like a nuisance but I do have the best of intentions.

The belightsoft preference files seem to have reappeared.

A new problem seems to be with the Save As function. It modifies the original so I end up with two modified files and no original. Does this mean I always have to make a duplicate to preserve the original? Seem to defeat the whole purpose of Save As!
fonetico

Postby fonetico » November 2nd, 2013, 10:40 am

Sorry, that was a little incoherent.

I need to reiterate that everything seems to work fine on my MacBook Pro.

However, on the iMac, apart from the Export to pdf that always crashes and requires a Force Quit, there seems to be a problem with the Save As function. That means if I go into the Edit menu, press Alt and use the Save As on a previously saved file, both the original and the modified file will be saved with the modifications.

Can the two anomalies be related?
Nick

Postby Nick » November 3rd, 2013, 11:36 am

On 10.8, the Save As command works. I will be able to test it on Mavericks only on Monday. To say if the two problems are linked, I need to repeat the bug on our test computer and see what happens. I will do this on Monday.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » November 4th, 2013, 4:47 am

On a test computer, Save As works correctly. The Save As dialog has the "Keep changes in original document" check box. Maybe you had it activated. After turning this option off, my original document didn't contain the last modifications.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » November 4th, 2013, 5:55 am

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your patience and the helpful suggestions.

For many years I've used InDesign on a PPC Mac.Having finally decided to upgrade I was disgusted at the prices and conditions of Adobe products these days. So I've been road testing the alternatives and have come to the conclusion that your software is the most impressive. Except, that is, for the Export to pdf issue.

Incidentally, I've noticed that this has been mentioned on other internet sites that have reviewed this otherwise excellent product.

This is important for me. The printshop wants everything in pdf form and if I'm going to have constant headaches with it I'm reluctant to spend the money.

As I've said before, I do my work on an iMac because of the big screen. The app works without issues on my backup 13" MacBook Pro, but the screen is too small. So, should I work on the iMac and Save on the MBP? Does the single user app licence agreement allow me to install it on a backup system?

Or does the Save as pdf in the Print dialogue achieve the same result? Or do you suggest I buy a new computer?

As far as my Save As dialogue is concerned, there is no "Keep changes in original document" check box. What am I doing wrong?

Sorry I'm so long-winded.

Best regards,
Nick

Postby Nick » November 4th, 2013, 6:30 am

Hi fonetico,

Does the single user app licence agreement allow me to install it on a backup system?

The license allows one user use the program on several computers. You don't need to buy another license.

Or does the Save as pdf in the Print dialogue achieve the same result? Or do you suggest I buy a new computer?

PDFs created on different computers from the same document should be identical.
Buying a new computer only because of an exporting problem in Swift Publisher doesn't sound reasonable.

As far as my Save As dialogue is concerned, there is no "Keep changes in original document" check box. What am I doing wrong?

On my computer, the "Keep changes" check box is not shown if the document wasn't modified after opening.

I discussed the exporting problem with our programmers, and they suggested to reinstall the printer driver(s). To do this, open the System Preferences and go to Print & Scan section. Right-click on the list of printers and select Reset Printing System. Try to export your document to PDF. Then install the latest printer driver and export to PDF once more.

Nick
fonetico

Postby fonetico » November 4th, 2013, 8:12 am

Thanks for everything Nick. The Help documents don't seem to make it clear how the Save As function works now. I didn't realise it only responds to changes.

I notice if I make a change and then close the window or quit on the MBP, it asks if I want to save the changes or revert. On the iMac it simply closes the window with the changes and without any warning.

Can Autosave be disabled?

I guess I'll just have to learn to live with the export problem on the iMac and use the MBP for the purpose. Resetting the Printing System has made no difference. Hopefully a future update will fix it.

Regards
Nick

Postby Nick » November 4th, 2013, 10:26 am

The Autosave function can be disabled globally. There is no such an option in Swift Publisher. In the System Preferences, you can find "Ask to keep changes when closing documents" in the General tab. When it is activated, Swift Publisher lets you save changes or revert to saved document state.

Nick
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » November 5th, 2013, 10:40 am

sorry for late answer i was quite busy during last days.

Nick wrote:New questions:
1. Can you export to TIFF and EPS a new empty document? Before exporting, save this document, close and reopen.
2. Can Preview.app save as PDF some raster image?
3. If you have any software that starts up automatically in your working account and doesn't in the test account, this software may make difference in work of Swift Publisher. I mean first of all programs related to graphic software and disk utilities (since an exported PDF should be saved on the hard disk).

1. yes in all cases.
2. yes in all cases.
3. didn't change anything

than i tried some things different between users like apple-ID and show suffixes. nothing changed anything.

now i reseted printersettings - still the same problem …

cu
Last edited by irishwolfhound on November 5th, 2013, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 6th, 2013, 3:16 am

Hi irishwolfhound,

Thanks for these details!

Nick
irishwolfhound

Postby irishwolfhound » November 6th, 2013, 10:53 am

sorry for offtopic - i just learned that my vector-software VectorDesigner 1.7.3 don't open documents anymore after update to mavericks … so i am looking for a vector software now because VD isn't supported anymore.

beware of greeks bearing gifts … :-/
fonetico

Postby fonetico » November 18th, 2013, 9:23 am

Interesting to see Ivor on the BCC site has the same issue with Export to pdf.
Does anyone else have a problem with double sided printing as well?

Return to “Swift Publisher”