SP3

Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 26th, 2012, 9:47 am

Hi
The main problem seems to be that this document can't be opened in SP, so it seems difficult to edit it. Also, as text certainly uses CMYK color(s) this "helps" to make this document so big too.
I've noticed that a color profile is saved in SP document for each text box:
Here's a very simple document made of text: a heading and some body text.
If I create two text boxes, one for the heading and one for the body text (using the same CMYK color) I get a 2.9MB document.
But if I use only one text box, so putting the heading and the body text in the same box, I get, this time, a 1.9MB document! (note that when exported to PDF, these files weight "only" 422KB!)
So, it seems better (at least for the weight of the document not but only) to limit the number of text boxes when possible and use in place, text styles parameters (say spaces before/after paragraphs to get the right space between heading and body text).
That being said, you need to open your document in SP.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 27th, 2012, 4:07 am

Hi ,

I have deleted my project, since I cant open it. So I have to start all over again, but I have to find another solution.

A new problem occurred when I sent another project to my print shop. The tickness in the lines in textboxes etc where in SP 1.0 pt. But when i converted it to a "print ready PDF" my print shop said that they couldnt print it because the thickness of the lines where 0,124 pt. Does someone have any knowledge about this problem ?

/Beppe
Nick

Postby Nick » October 27th, 2012, 10:02 am

Hi Beppe,

What PDF format did you use, a regular PDF or PDF/X ?
Do you know what software was used in the printshop to work with your PDF?

In the Illustrator, a text box, line, rectangle and smart shape had the same line width as it was set in SP. I exported a test document to an ordinary PDF with Image Quality set to Original. All other options were turned off.

Nick
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 27th, 2012, 11:40 am

Hi Nick ,

It was a regular PDF. I dont know what software the print shop uses. Do you mean that it will be ok if I a export as an regular PDF + image quality set to original ?

/Beppe
Nick

Postby Nick » October 27th, 2012, 12:47 pm

Yes, I think that a PDF with Original selected for Image Quality, your document will be printed correctly.

If the printshop could explain how they get their result, I could try to verify it.

Nick
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 28th, 2012, 11:44 am

Hi Nick ,

Do you know or have a guess when the problem with CMYk colors will be solved ? I have another project and it also is extremely heavy. I use a lot of text boxes with lines etc and seems to do that the document gets a heavy weight.

So I am really in need of solution - any guess when it can be solved ?

/Beppe
Nick

Postby Nick » October 29th, 2012, 3:48 am

Hi Beppe,

I don't expect that we change the way of saving colors in the nearest updates.

If the text box frames in your document are black, I think that you can use a Generic CMYK profile. With other colors such replacement won't give exact colors when the document is printed.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 29th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Hi
Here're two screenshots made from Acrobat 8:
#1 The first one demonstrates that the thickness of strokes (here's 0.25pt in SP3 and PDF file) is correctly exported in PDF from SP3 (I made test with 1pt too):

So, what kind of lines did you use in your document and what do you call a "print ready PDF"?

#2 In the first screenshot, I used a Generic CMYK profile (the one provided by Apple) so I wrote a small ColorSync filter that converts CMYK (here with the Generic CMYK profile) objects to Coated FOGRA27 ones (of course I could choose any other CMYK profiles present in my computer).
Here's the result:

Caution: this filter converts plain black (C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=0) to some "rich blacks" with no way to control this process (unfortunately) and this may be a problem with small text set to plain black or with any thin object like stroke!
Just in case you find this useful, here's the way I did that (using ColorSync Utility application):

Convertir en profil = Convert to Profile
Données CMJN = CMYK Data
Tous les objets = All objects
Note that this last parameter can be used to convert some types of objects (say vector shapes) but not some other ones (say text objects) in case you need to do so.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Swift Publisher”