SP3

Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 18th, 2012, 1:05 pm

Hi Jean- Jacques,

sure, but I cant see where I enclose the file (When I click on your email, there is no possibility to include the file.

/Beppe
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 18th, 2012, 2:01 pm

Beppe wrote:Hi Jean- Jacques,

sure, but I cant see where I enclose the file (When I click on your email, there is no possibility to include the file.

/Beppe

Ha, sorry, I forgot this!
Please visit my site (http://belightcommunity.free.fr/) and use the email link in its footer (the text with copyright and my name).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » October 18th, 2012, 2:02 pm

Beppe,

Please send a copy of your document with duplicated pages to support@belightsoft.com as well.

How did you create this document? Did you start from a template or from a blank document?

Also please tell what versions of Mac OS and SP you have. Mac OS: click on the Apple menu and select About This Mac. In SP, select Swift Publisher > About Swift Publisher.

Nick
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 18th, 2012, 3:04 pm

Hi Nick & Jean-Jacques ,

I have sent you an email with the test file.

Br/Beppe
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 18th, 2012, 3:51 pm

Hi Beppe
After having a glance to this test file, it seems that some colors definition looks wrong (at least very long/big).
I can't say more for now but I shall look at it more deeply today.

Nick, look at the first color definition in the xml file: deleting these data reduces the file to something like 2MB (this being said, after that, you can't reopen the file in SP).
Other colors definitions look the same.
example: the default settings text (background color):
<code>

<key>Default Settings Text</key>
<dict>
<key>Background Color</key>
<data>...
</code>

You will have certainly some ideas about this.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 19th, 2012, 2:57 am

Hi all
I made a very simple edit in the test document (editing the doc.thread with TextWrangler), replacing the four first colors definitions by the one SP creates in a blank document.
This way, the doc.thread weights now 29KB!
SP can open the file and the only thing that seems changed is the (black) color of the dog head that is now blue (the default color).
I can't say if this would be sufficient to correct the veryyyyyyyyyyy (5.8GB!) big file but at least the culprit is found.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 19th, 2012, 4:29 am

Beppe,

If you could upload your compressed document to some file sharing hosting and give me the download link, we'd try to fix the colors manually using the way discovered by Jean-Jacques.

The color description in the affected document can be easily copied to another document. Also I saved the "bad" color in the Colors pane and applied to a simple rectangle. The resulting document also became too large. Conclusion: when you start working on a new document, don't copy objects from an affected document. If you are using the custom color palette in the Colors pane, make sure that there aren't "bad" colors.

It is very interesting how you applied the fill color to the image. I think that you could pick the color from some non-standard palette such as PANTONE that add own tabs to the standard Colors pane.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 19th, 2012, 6:14 am

Hi Nick
The color model and profile used for this black color seem to be CMYK and Coated FOGRAF27 (can you confirm this?).
Switching to Generic CMYK profile (then saving) produces a document that weights 57KB!
Not sure that helps to correct the big document but, maybe, it may help to understand where does the problem come.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 19th, 2012, 9:50 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

We need to find the origin of that color. If it was a third party palette, it could help if we were able to install it on our test computer. Some of such palettes may be installed together with graphical software.

Nick
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 19th, 2012, 1:08 pm

Hi ,

It is correct that I used CMYK with ICC profile Coated FOGRAF27. This is what my print shop demands.

Nick - I dont know what you mean by "bad" colors. As I said I used the above mentioned color.

Is it CMYK that causes the problem ? Then I have a huge problem because thats what my print shop demands.

/Beppe
Nick

Postby Nick » October 20th, 2012, 2:16 am

Hi Beppe and Jean-Jacques,

With your help I could repeat this problem on my computer with a new document.

Many CMYK color profiles produce large documents. Some other our programs as BCC or AT also suffer from this problem.

On Monday, I'll discuss this with the developers.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 20th, 2012, 4:49 am

Hi all
I made some tests with DC (3.6) too and got the same result:
- using Generic CMYK (provided by Apple) generates a small file (say 30KB)
- but using one of the Adobe CMYK profiles (Coated/Uncoated FOGRAF…) gives a bigger file (around 4-5MB)
- note that with other third party CMYK profiles (in this case, provided by Ricoh), the file may be of different weight (500KB with a Ricoh Aficio MP C2551).
I can't, for now, make tests using SP2 and OS 10.6.8 but, maybe, this is an old problem not related to recent versions of BeLight applications. Most of the time, I use these kinds of profiles (FOGRAF ones), as I create documents that have to be printed but most of the time, they are one "page" documents (A3/A2 posters, business cards) and so, I haven't this kind of problem (too big documents that can't be opened).

Beppe: there's nothing bad or wrong with the color itself. Using FOGRAF/Euroscale/SWOP profiles is a normal way to produce documents that have to be printed (in particular by professionals). What we have to find (specially BeLight developers ;^)) is why this produces so big documents.
Maybe the way these profiles are embedded in documents has to changed?

Nick: just in case you need more Adobe profiles to make more tests, here's a post with a list of profiles and a link to download them (from Adobe):
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9804
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 20th, 2012, 6:01 am

Hi
Using SP2 and 10.6.8 produces the same results when using the same profiles.
Also, the Adobe CMYK profiles themselves weight between 500KB and more than 600KB so, if they're embedded in documents (I'm not sure of that, yet) it's normal that they end to be so big.
Beppe

Postby Beppe » October 24th, 2012, 10:44 am

Hi ,

is there any news/solution to my "CMYK" problem ?

/Mats
Nick

Postby Nick » October 25th, 2012, 2:36 am

Hi

We couldn't find a simple solution for the problem with CMYK colors. So, the update that is coming won't solve your problem. To avoid this problem in a new document, you can tint images outside SP and save them with the appropriate color profile. In this case, the Fill property will remain deactivated in SP and the program won't need to include the color profile. To export the colors correctly, you need to specify the Original option for Image Quality in PDF export settings.

Nick

Return to “Swift Publisher”