Another example of what I could name the "Core" of all BeLig

Any other suggestions you may have
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 13th, 2009, 7:22 am

Hi Nick
As I said in the topic about wished features for the next SP (SP3! ;^)) release:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8995
I think that all BeLight applications (well, say Art Text and Printfolio ones) should share the same "Core".
An example of this, from DC: escaping from text edit mode with Cmd-Return isn't possible (this a nice feature of SP2).
Sharing the same "Core" should make easier (imho as usual) to maintain all BeLight apps at the same "features level". No more need to wait for Objects grouping in SP, no more need to wait for something else (?!) in DC or BCC.
Updating the "Core" should update all apps.
This "Core" should make easier to work with different Printfolio apps from a user point of view, too.
Of course, in the real world (at least, the real world of software development ;^)) this is not necessary so easy.
I can understand that!
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2009, 5:48 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

The applications included in Printfolio are based on the same core (except for SP). We are going to move SP to the common core too and then create version 3. The first part isn't an easy task. This is why the release of SP 3 was delayed so much.

The use of the common core does not bring all the features form one application to all others automatically. The programs have different interfaces and different objects' behavior. So, each program has to be adapted to new features manually. It is decided individually whether or not new functionality in one program should migrate to others.

With bug fixes the situation is different. If a bug was fixed in the common part of the software, as a rule all programs will be improved (but this often requires to modify each program individually).

Back to suggestions: if a feature request concerns one application, by default only this application will be improved (unless we decide to apply it to other programs).

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 14th, 2009, 9:51 am

Nick wrote:Hi Jean-Jacques,

The applications included in Printfolio are based on the same core (except for SP). We are going to move SP to the common core too and then create version 3. The first part isn't an easy task. This is why the release of SP 3 was delayed so much.

About the delay of the next release SP3: No problem, I can understand that. Really ;^)

Nick wrote:The use of the common core does not bring all the features form one application to all others automatically. The programs have different interfaces and different objects' behavior. So, each program has to be adapted to new features manually. It is decided individually whether or not new functionality in one program should migrate to others.

One more time, I can understand that all of these applications are different and have to be so… to some points.
Yet, I can't understand why all of these applications don't have the same features when related to (just a few examples):
- guides (no way to Show/Hide guides, no way to insert multiple guides at once as it's possible with SP2…)
- no grid (grids and guides are very useful tools, making easier creating layouts, aligning objects (especially when one needs for optical alignment)
Nick, believe me (;^)), grids and guides are necessary even when designing CD covers or business cards, really.
- I could say the same about typographic tools (space before/after paragraphs, between lines…)
If there's a way to add text boxes (as this is the case in BCC), it should be a way to use all typographic tools, too.
Text boxes in L&A are nearly useless (imho as usual).

Nick wrote:With bug fixes the situation is different. If a bug was fixed in the common part of the software, as a rule all programs will be improved (but this often requires to modify each program individually).

Right, sounds logical.

Nick wrote:Back to suggestions: if a feature request concerns one application, by default only this application will be improved (unless we decide to apply it to other programs).
Nick

Btw, maybe this topic should be moved to the General sub-forum?
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » December 14th, 2009, 10:29 am

Yet, I can't understand why all of these applications don't have the same features

Sometimes I don't understand too :-)
Some features aren't considered so important to be added in one program even if they are in another. Sometimes new features added in one program are added in others later with one of planned update (adding it immediately to all programs is not possible).

Btw, maybe this topic should be moved to the General sub-forum?

Yes, I'm going to do this.

Nick

Return to “General”