Sending document designed in swift publisher to print shop

Any other suggestions you may have
outwardbound13

Postby outwardbound13 » April 15th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Hello,

I am a novice....as my name describes I am much better at camping canoeing and backpacking than creating promo and marketing materials....In this economy we are all grateful to have a job though, right?

Here is my question....i need to get 4 x 9 "rack cards" made, like what you see in travel centers/rest area on the interstate and want to get a trail run printed at Staples (if it looks good I may get them all printed there). Since they don't have swift publisher what is the best format to save the document in so least amount of quality is lost in transferring format?

I hope this help and I appreciate any info you can provide me with! Also, I want to print on both sides of this card and aside from creating two seperate documents I am not sure if there is a way to accomplish this. Please let me know if you can help me out with info on either of these inquiries?

NExt off to RapidWeaver to make a website....yikes! I am in over my head : )
Nick

Postby Nick » April 16th, 2009, 3:19 am

Hi outwardbound13,

It's better to ask the print shop what formats they prefer. Usually PDF is the most appropriate. Also TIFF can be accepted. The resolution should be 400 dpi and greater for high quality printouts. The print shop may request files in the CMYK colors. Swift Publisher has an option to export documents to CMYK TIFF graphic format.

Print shops often ask customers to set up bleeds. Find out if Staples has any instructions on this.

If you use the PDF format, it allows to save multi-page documents. In case you choose TIFF, each page should be exported to an individual file. Swift Publisher exports the current page to TIFF.

Nick

Return to “General”