Same Info on Printfolio as on Art Text-Is it True, and Why?

Any other suggestions you may have
Cea

Postby Cea » May 10th, 2008, 10:02 pm

Hello. I am glad this forum exists.

I just bought both Printfolio, and Art Text. As I was downloading Art Text , I noticed a list of all the projects included in it's software. They were: Disc Cover, Swift Publisher, Business Card Composer 4, Mail Factory, Image Tricks Pro, and Art Text.

Then, I unwrapped Printfolio, and inserted it into my Mac. They were offering the exact SAME menu! I was shocked, and did not install any from Printfolio.

Here's my question... is it true, that each disc has identical information? if they are not identical, what are the differences?

I need to return Printfolio ASAP, but wanted to have my suspicions confirmed. And since I could not find a US phone number to consult, I am depending on someone here to give me the facts. I will be very grateful for this information.

Thank you. Cea
Nick

Postby Nick » May 11th, 2008, 9:35 am

Hi Cea,

A disc with retail version of our software contains demo versions of other our programs. This means, that a box with Art Text may include all the Printfolio programs and a registration code only for Art Text. So, for using Printfolio software, you would need another registration code (one you already have in the Prinfolio box).

If you have more questions, please post them in this forum or send to support@belightsoft.com

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 12th, 2008, 3:22 am

Oh, Nick, I am very glad you responded so rapidly. Thank you very much.

I was just about to return Printfolio to the online store where I purchased it. I had already called them to warn them that I was going to return it. You can see how timely your response was!

So, to make sure I understand you, I will need to own both the Art Text software and the Printfolio software with their individual licenses in order to get the sum total of both parts. So far, I have only registered Art Text. Thanks to you, I am now about to register Printfolio.

Now that I've installed Printfolio, another question has come up. I went to my applications folder, and tested Printfolio (installed, registered), Art Text (installed, registered). Then I tested Business Card Composer 4 (installed), and Mail Factory (installed). I went to Disc Cover, and it denied me access! It requested a license.

I entered each (Art Text and Printfolio) License Codes, and it rejected both. I am really confused again. Printfolio should have the full version of Disc Cover, right? And what about those fonts Belight claims I should install after the install? What exactly did I buy when I bought Art Text and Printfolio?

I am very glad you are available to answer questions so directly. That alone gives me encouragement.

Best wishes to you and yours, Cea
Last edited by Cea on May 12th, 2008, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 12th, 2008, 6:16 am

Hi Cea,

Registration
A Printfolio license code should register Swift Publisher, Business Card Composer, Disc Cover and Mail Factory. We recommend open the Printfolio application and enter the received code into its registration dialog. This will unlock all mentioned applications.
Art Text license code is for Art Text only.

Try to restart your computer and then see if Disc Cover accepts registration.

What you have bought
Printfolio includes applications: Swift Publisher, Business Card Composer, Disc Cover and Mail Factory. In addition to them: Art Text LE, Image Tricks Pro and Bitstream fonts.

Art Text retail edition: Art Text and Bitstream fonts

The difference between Art Text standard and LE editions can be found here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/arttext/limitededition.php

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 12th, 2008, 5:10 pm

Nick,

I have done as you have suggested - Restarted my computer, then first opening Printfolio in Apps. When I chose License from the menu, nothing happened, which I took to mean that it has already been registered.

Next, I went to Disc Cover, and it did the same thing as yesterday - It once again rejected my Printfolio license code, saying it was incorrect. It demanded either a different license #, or that I buy more software, or it warned that it will print a Promotional code on all my disc covers if I do nothing.

The fact that Printfolio itself has been registered does not seem to "unlock" Disc Cover. Any other suggestions?
Last edited by Cea on May 12th, 2008, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2008, 2:36 am

Cea,

When you choose License in the menu, the program should open the registration dialog. If the program is registered, the dialog displays the name and license code. Otherwise these fields are blank.

Please do the following:
1. Repair permissions.
Open the Disk Utility program from the Application/Utilities folder.
Choose your startup volume.
The First Aid section should be selected.
Click the Verify Disk Permissions button and wait until the process is finished.

2. Remove these two files
com.belightsoft.DiscCover2.plist
and
com.belightsoft.PrintFolio.plist
located in the ~/Library/Preferences/ folder.
Then open the Printfolio application and register it again.

After Printfolio was registered, choose the License item in the Disc Cover menu – your license code should appear in it.

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 13th, 2008, 4:30 am

Hello, Nick.

First, thanks for all the support.

I have a question. What does "your startup volume" mean? I was in Disc Utility, and didn't know which of the three items to choose: my external hard drive, my internal hard drive, or my optical drive? I'm not sure which of the three would be called a "startup volume".

All good wishes, Cea
Nick

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2008, 5:20 am

A hard drive may be split up into several parts - volumes. In this case, the utility shows these volumes as sub-items. The volume containing the operating system files is called "startup volume".
In the picture, two volumes are present: Tiger and Leopard.

You should choose your internal hard drive and click the Repair Disk Permissions button.

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 13th, 2008, 3:37 pm

Hello again, Nick.

I verified and repaired disc permissions on my internal HD. Then, I went to the Preferences folder in my Library. I removed "com.belightsoft.Printfolio.plist, but only found for the other, "com.belightsoft.DiscCover.plist", without the "2". I went ahead and removed it anyway, then re-registered my Printfolio License Code. Then I went to Disc Cover, and the "License" was grayed out, it gave me no trouble as before, and it looks like everything is fixed (hooray).

Next, I went back to my Library Preferences, and found Disc Cover again, but again, it's without the "2". Is that for some reason noteworthy?

And another question - where are the "50 bitstream fonts" mentioned during the installation process, that would have to be installed after the installation?

Anyway, I am greatly relieved and grateful for your support through all of this. I am working on a project that is due this week, and your software will be a welcome tool in my arsenal.

Warmly, Cea
Last edited by Cea on May 13th, 2008, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2008, 2:06 am

Hi Cea,

"2" in the name of the preferences file indicates the version of Disc Cover. This spring, version 2 of Disc Cover was released. Find out the program version choosing Disc Cover > About Disc Cover in its menu. In case you have version 1, please install the newest release. Here is a download link:
http://dl.filekicker.com/send/file/175012-P03N/DiscCover.dmg
After successful installation, Disc Cover version 1 can be removed from the Applications/Printfolio folder.

To install fonts, insert the Art Text disc into drive. The Additional Fonts package from the More folder installs Bitstream fonts. These fonts appear on the system Font pane under "Belight Software" name in the Collections column.

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 14th, 2008, 4:09 am

Hello Nick.

Thanks for the download link. I went ahead and installed it, and when it was accomplished, I removed the Disc Cover program from my Apps folder.

When the install was complete, it did something funny. It left an icon looking like an external hard drive, with the words "Disc Cover 2" on my Desktop. I have checked my Apps folder, and "Disc Cover 2" is there. Can I trash the icon on my Desktop? I will leave it on my Desktop until I hear more from you.

Haven't yet installed the additional fonts, as it's time for me to hit the hay. Will give you feedback on that, as well.

Best wishes, Cea
Nick

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2008, 6:22 am

Such disk icon appears when you double-click a *.dmg file. It mounts a disk image on which the installer is located.
To unmount this disk drag its icon from your Desktop into Trash, or click its Eject button on the side panel in Finder.

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 15th, 2008, 3:31 am

Well, Nick, all is good, now.

I took care of the HD icon on my desktop. Thanks for the explanation.

And I wanted to tell you about the Art Text font additions. Turns out I had already installed them, and you helped me know where to look. Big help.

And last, my big meeting with my client was today, and thanks to the BeLight software I recently bought, I was able to show her a variety of ideas, and play around with sizes and shapes, right there in her office (I have a laptop). She was extremely impressed with what she saw, and immediately chose one of my favorite designs as her new logo. I'll be publishing her business cards and other in-house publications thanks to today's meeting.

So, Nick, I couldn't have come this far without your support. And, already, the software has begun to pay for itself. I couldn't be more pleased. I will give you a much-deserved break, and stop writing you now, at least until my next batch of questions... Just thanks a million.

All the very best, Cea

Return to “General”