New website

Any other suggestions you may have
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 10th, 2013, 5:58 am

Hi Nick
It seems that the BeLight website has been redesigned (visually and technically (more or less html5)) and I have to say that I really like this new one. In particular, I find the product(s) page more agreeable to read and browse.
I'm also impressed by the number of people that work for BeLight (33, including the Big Boss!). Maybe it's a secret (;^)) but I should be curious to know how many people work on the different BeLight projects/applications (Live Interior 3D is certainly the "heaviest").
I am just a little bit surprised that it is not fully responsive (maybe I'm completely wrong?) as you have, at least, one application (Remote Viewer) for iOS (among others iPhone and iPod).
A last question: why do you choose Disc Cover as the main application in the homepage?
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 10th, 2013, 6:14 am

Hi Nick
As you can see, there's a little problem with characters set in my signature (that uses these stupid accents ;^)).
Note that some characters with accents can be typed in the body of the post but a few other ones can't:
éèù�
The last one is an "a" with a grave accent.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 10th, 2013, 8:09 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your comment. We are working hard to fix all bugs on the new version of the site. The character encoding issue will be fixed as well.

Maybe it's a secret (;^)) but I should be curious to know how many people work on the different BeLight projects/applications (Live Interior 3D is certainly the "heaviest").

As a rule, our projects don't have fixed teams. For example, from one to four programmer can work on a new version of SP depending on how many changes were scheduled. "Small" programs such as GB or Concealer usually require one or two developers.

I am just a little bit surprised that it is not fully responsive (maybe I'm completely wrong?) as you have, at least, one application (Remote Viewer) for iOS (among others iPhone and iPod).

By default, most of our programs are designed for Mac OS. "For iOS" next to Remote Viewer is an attempt to indicate that this program doesn't have any Mac OS version.

A last question: why do you choose Disc Cover as the main application in the homepage?

As far as I understand the idea of our marketing guys, the homepage will be occupied by one of our products with periodical rotation. I think that the homepage will also advertise major updates or new products.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 12th, 2013, 8:36 am

Hi Nick

Nick wrote:Hi Jean-Jacques,

By default, most of our programs are designed for Mac OS. "For iOS" next to Remote Viewer is an attempt to indicate that this program doesn't have any Mac OS version.

Nick

By fully "responsive", I mean that the site content adapts itself to the width of the user's terminal screen/window (desktop computers, tablets and mobile/smartphones) without the need to scroll horizontally to see the whole content of a page.
As you have one application (Remote Viewer) specific to iOS, it seems logical to imagine that some users of this application need to visit this site using their iPhone/iPod.
Reducing the width of a page, in Safari, display horizontal scrolling bar for a width of 976 pixels (more or less). Of course, this is less than the pixels width of recent (Retina) iPod/iPhones but not necessary the case for older ones.
That being said, you know your customers/visitors better than I know them (not surprising ;^)) and this is not necessary a real "problem".

A last remark about the new design:
I noticed that the Forum pages are narrower than the other pages (Products, Support…) and the text are also slightly smaller making the whole forum more difficult to read (each time, I visited the Forum, I have to zoom in the text/page).
Yes, I know, maybe it's time to me to get… glasses! ;^)
Nick

Postby Nick » October 12th, 2013, 10:18 am

Jean-Jacques,

Thanks for your remarks. I'll pass your details about the Remote Viewer page to our web designer.

The Forum page is a bit special because the forum engine should have own settings for fonts and other elements. It appears that not all of them were revised yet. I agree with you that some test is too small.

I still can see a problem with accented "a" which seems to be fixed a couple days ago. Can you see squares in your signature?

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 12th, 2013, 12:11 pm

Hi Nick
About the character encoding:
I can see the problem in:
- my own signature (président)
- a with grave accent (à) only in the first post of this topic!
- in some other posts like this one:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=12344 (the first post of the topic)

It seems that some content of the database is encoded with ISO-Latin1 (or maybe ISO-Latin15) and the forum pages use the utf-8 encoding.
If you force the browser to display pages using ISO-Latin1, you will see that my signature is correctly displayed.

Excepting the signature content, new posts seem working correctly.
Nick

Postby Nick » October 13th, 2013, 11:46 am

Yu are right. In the new version of the website, we have switched encoding from ISO to UTF-8.

Nick

Return to “General”