Remarks about SP, DC, BCC and L&A

Any other suggestions you may have
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 10th, 2011, 5:06 am

Hi Nick
I post this message here as it targets all BeLight applications (say at least SP, DC, BCC and L&A (maybe AT too)).
#1. First of all, the wrong behavior of the shadow tool would be fixed:
- if "Line" (stroke), "Fill" and "Shadow" are on, shadow is incorrectly rendered as seen here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7494
and here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2470
Why not fixing this once and for all?

#2. Also (imho!) by default, shadow would be black with some transparency, not fully opaque grey. You may think that this doesn't make a great difference until you add another object below the shadowed one. The second object (the one below) should be seen through the shadow not masked for it.

#3. You would make possible to use CMYK for shadow (yes, I repeat myself ;^)).
Or more precisely, keep these CMYK colors used for shadow when exporting to pdf.
This is the only remaining big problem that makes creating pdf files with CMYK colors a difficult task. Quartz 2D permits this (hoping I'm not wrong) so why not using this way?

#3. When typing values in textfields (from the Inspector pane), validating with Return would keep the focus to this field. This way, it is easier to correct a "wrong" value by just typing it without the need to click one more time in this field. Of course, this is not the case when validating with Tab key, in this case focus should be move to the next control.
It seems that SP works this way but this is the only one, DC/BCC/L&A textfields lose focus when validating with the Return key.

#4. You could change (in SP) the "Move to Center (horizontally/vertically)" labels (Format menu) for "Center Horizontally/Vertically" as this the case in DC/BCC and L&A, and add shortcuts for these menu items (maybe Shift-Cmd-H and Shift-Cmd-V). Of course one may add shortcuts using System Preferences but most users don't know that and this is slightly "complicated" for an "average" user (imho).

#5. The Show/Hide Inspector shortcut in SP (Cmd-0) would be unified with the same shortcut used in other applications (Shift-Cmd-I). This seems more logical to use "i" for showing/hiding an Inspector pane (maybe I'm the guilty for this ;^)). Doing so would have two advantages: unify this shortcut for all BeLight applications (it is already used in DC, BCC and L&A!) and free this shortcut for View>Actual Size (as used in Preview and recommended by Apple (saying that, I can't find any reference for this in the "Bible" (oups, sorry, I mean the Apple Human Interface Guidelines ;^))).

I know that you're working (very) hard to release the next SP update so why not fixing these "bugs" and/or annoying behaviors in this so awaited release (without forgetting DC, L&A and BCC of course ;^)).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » September 12th, 2011, 5:02 am

Hi Jean-Jacques,

1, 2, 3 (first) - we will work on the shadow questions after SP 3 is released. The developers cannot say now if everything will be done exactly the way you suggest.

3. (second) I think we'll make as in SP. Th focus will not jump out of the active text field. BTW in SP, some fields also loose the focus after hitting Return.

4. This will be done in SP.

5. This will be done as you suggest.

We are very interested to release SP 3 as soon as possible. So, the bug fixes you suggest may appear in SP not in 3.0 but in later updates.

Thanks for your remarks!

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » September 13th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Thanks Nick
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “General”