How to Wrap Text Around an Image

gmjohns3

Postby gmjohns3 » February 28th, 2013, 8:36 pm

Ok, so I outlined an image so it's basically just a cut out so that the text could go exactly around the image (no giant square), but when I put the image into the newsletter I'm creating (I enabled the "object causes wrap" feature), but the text adjusts to the outside of the square that is the image, but when I open the image elsewhere, the image is just an outline, not a square. Does that make sense? Any help would do, thanks. I just downloaded the program and I'm working an overdue deadline to get a newsletter done. (Also I watched the tutorials but that didn't help). Thanks!
Nick

Postby Nick » March 1st, 2013, 5:04 am

Hi gmjohns3,

Depending on the program used to create your newsletter, the text wrapping feature may consider the image bound (always rectangle) or some content if the background of the image is transparent. For example, Swift Publisher can wrap text around the image bound.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » March 1st, 2013, 6:34 am

Hi
A (not so easy) workaround:
#1. Use a smart shape to make the "wrapping effect".
#2. Then add your image and make sure you move it to the background (under the smart shape and the text box).
#3. Make the smart shape invisible by setting fill and stroke off.

Here, I used a circle/oval smart shape (with a thick black stroke to make sure I see it).
Then I added the image (the blue clipart), moving it to the background.

Finally I made the smart shape invisible, setting its stroke to off.

Of course, it can be more complicated to get the right result with an image having a more complex mask, but don't forget that you can add several smart shapes to make a more complex shape (unfortunately, Group tool can't be used in this specific case).

A simple example of the use of two smart shapes to make a more complex mask:
Two oval/circle smart shapes:

After setting strokes to off:
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Image Tricks”