CIFilter property values?

mattlangston

Postby mattlangston » July 8th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Is there a way to obtain the CIFilter property values applied to my image?

My use case is that I am looking for an easy to use "CIFilter visual editor" that let's me visually compose the look/effect I am going for, and then shows me the list of CIFilter names and their associated property values that I can cut-and-paste into my Objectice-C code.

I've tried to use Quartz Composer for this, but the circular adjustment *censored* are unintuitive (i.e. try the "Temperature and Tint" patch to see what I mean).

Warmest regards, Matt
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 8th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Hi mattlangston
(it seems like you're everywhere today ;^))
Joke apart, I don't know any tools that could get some property/values lists from filters used in an application (unfortunately).
That being said, it's not necessary complicated (but maybe slightly "boring") to deduce inputs key and values with a little help from Apple Core Image Filter Reference documentation.
An example (excerpt from this documentation):

CIColorControls
Adjusts saturation, brightness, and contrast values.
Parameters
inputImage
A CIImage class whose display name is Image.
inputSaturation
An NSNumber class whose attribute type is CIAttributeTypeScalar and whose display name is Saturation.
Default value: 1.00 Minimum: 0.00 Maximum: 2.00 Slider minimum: 0.00 Slider maximum: 2.00 Identity: 1.00
inputBrightness
An NSNumber class whose attribute type is CIAttributeTypeScalar and whose display name is Brightness.
Default value: 0.00 Minimum: -1.00 Maximum: 1.00 Slider minimum: -1.00 Slider maximum: 1.00 Identity: 0.00
inputContrast
An NSNumber class whose attribute type is CIAttributeTypeScalar and whose display name is Contrast.
Default value: 1.00 Minimum: 0.00 Maximum: 4.00 Slider minimum: 0.00 Slider maximum: 4.00 Identity: 1.00

So, it doesn't seem too difficult to see that for saturation, the key name is inputSaturation then construct your own properties/values list by hand.

Maybe, you already know that and/or I haven't understood your question.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » July 9th, 2012, 5:16 am

Hi Matt,

I'm afraid, Image Tricks cannot help you because after applying a sequence of effects, you cannot retrieve their names and properties. Here, you need to make notes manually.

If your task is to create a program for batch image processing according to a certain workflow, think about using the Automator.

Nick
mattlangston

Postby mattlangston » July 9th, 2012, 2:29 pm

JJBee and Nick,

Thank you for your replies. So I'll just have to do some R&D to get a feel for how the various CIFilters behave and the dependencies between them.

Do you know why I have a "*censored*" in my original post? I didn't write anything offensive, so I'm curious how it happened. Was it done automatically by the forum software, or done manually by the web master?

Warmest regards, Matt
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 9th, 2012, 4:22 pm

Hi mattlangston
There's a list of words that will be censored if present in a post.
That being said, I can't see a circular adjustment/control in the Temperature and Tint CIFilter, all these controls of type CIAttributeTypeOffset are text boxes by default:

CITemperatureAndTint
Adapts the reference white point for an image.
Parameters
inputImage
A CIImage class whose display name is Image.
inputNeutral
A CIVector class whose attribute type is CIAttributeTypeOffset and whose display name is Neutral.
Default value: [6500, 0] Identity: [6500, 0]
inputTargetNeutral
A CIVector class whose attribute type is CIAttributeTypeOffset and whose display name is TargetNeutral
Default value: [6500, 0] Identity: [6500, 0]
Member of
CICategoryBuiltIn, CICategoryNonSquarePixels, CICategoryInterlaced, CICategoryStillImage, CICategoryVideo, CICategoryColorAdjustment
Localized Display Name
Temperature and Tint

Also, what do you mean by "CIFilter visual editor"?
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Image Tricks”