Can't save changes

Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 5th, 2009, 10:41 am

Just upgraded and went to make changes to a previous business card, and it won't let me save, won't let me save as. Help!! I'm running Snow Leopard, I installed the newest version, I've even restarted my Mac. Still, same problem. I appreciate any assistance than anyone might have.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 5th, 2009, 11:18 am

Hi Maclurv,

To avoid damaging your old file, create a copy and modify only it.

Check the version of Business Card Composer. Old versions may not work properly with Snow Leopard.

With a copy of the document:
1. Try to "save as" with no modifications. Will it work?
2. Can you save a template (choose one from the Assistant) ? Can you save a blank document?
3. What message is displayed when the program fails to save a document?

Nick
Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 5th, 2009, 12:53 pm

no, no, and no message, just the sound effect 'thunk' that Apple makes when you can't do something. I have upgraded to the most recent version of PrintFoilo. That's when I noticed the problem.
Last edited by Maclurv on November 5th, 2009, 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 6th, 2009, 4:04 am

If you can't save any document, there may be a problem with the write permissions. Try to "save as" your document to the Desktop.

Check the permissions. Right-click on the file and choose Get Info in the pop-up menu. In the "Sharing & Permissions" section, your account (me) must have "Read & Write" privilege.

When the program fails to do something, it may write an error message to the Console log. Please send your log and the document to support@belightsoft.com
I'll try to repeat the problem and examine the log.

To save the console log, open the Console application (from the Applications/Utilities folder). Choose "File > Save a Copy As" in the menu of Console.

Nick
Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 10th, 2009, 8:49 pm

I looked, and permissions were fine. Can't save a new file, either. Sent a message to support with the log file as suggested, but haven't heard anything yet.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 11th, 2009, 9:42 am

Sorry, but I cannot find your message. Please send its copy to me again.

Nick
Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 14th, 2009, 8:15 pm

I have tried to send it three times, and each time I get a message from my ISP that it is a delivery failure. Here is the first two lines of the log, the many that were after are the same as the second line:

11/8/09 3:46:05 PM Printfolio[6166] *** WARNING: Method selectRow:byExtendingSelection: in class CWizardTypeTableView is deprecated. It will be removed in a future release and should no longer be used.
11/8/09 3:52:57 PM Business Card Composer 5[6173] ABRecord (ABCDContact) valueForProperty: Custom1 - unknown property

Pat
Nick

Postby Nick » November 15th, 2009, 1:06 am

Thanks, Pat.

I'll show these lines our developers on Monday.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » November 16th, 2009, 6:07 am

Hi,

The developers say that the problem may be connected with the Address Book (according to the console lines).
Please try this. Open Address Book and add a new contact (enter just a name, other data isn't necessary). Open Business Card Composer, load your document or a template. Select the new contact and try to save the document.

Which versions of Mac OS and Business Card Composer you have?

Nick
Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 16th, 2009, 11:34 am

Okay. Added a new person. Open a new card. Clicked on name. Name came over. Tried to save. Got dialog window, gave it a name. Then got the clunk sound. No file saved.

I am using 10.6.2 OS software and the version showing on BusinessCardComposer is 5.0 v 469, Printfolio is 1.6

Pat
Maclurv

Postby Maclurv » November 16th, 2009, 10:05 pm

An interesting wrinkle occurred. I have an older edition on my laptop. Designed the card on that. Saved it. Transferred to my iMac (so I could print it). Opened it, made a change, and it saved okay. I have tried making a new one with the version on the iMac, and the problem exists. So, there is the wrinkle, whatever it may mean.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 17th, 2009, 9:37 am

There is a more recent version of Business Card Composer. Please update to version 5.0.1 (v477). There is a possibility that the application is somehow damaged on your computer. So, it is reasonable to run not the update but the full installation.

On our test computers, the program saves documents normally.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”