Problems with importing file data

Shadywood

Postby Shadywood » October 18th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Hi,

So, I've just purchased BCC 5, and it's great... except that I can't get the file data import function to work, and that's the main thing I need right now!

I exported an Excel table of data as a tab-delimited text file. Simple stuff - three columns, 33 rows of data.

When I put a File Data field into my card design and use the Choose button, I can select my text file, select multi-column, tab delimited and Western MacOS format, and it all seems to work fine. It tells me "33 values accepted".

Now I know that you can't see the file data in the card designer page, so I go to Print, or Print Preview (or I test-print the cards)...

...and it's all REALLY messed up! Instead of the file data I'm getting:

/Users/myusername/Desktop/FileData

...where FileData is the data that I want from the column I selected in the text file.

Why is it including the file path data? How do I stop it? I'm running Snow Leopard, if that's any clue.

Please help me resolve this. I urgently need to get this feature of BCC working!

Thanks,

Daniel
Nick

Postby Nick » October 19th, 2009, 4:16 am

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for information. This bug is present on 10.5 too. We'll fix it as soon as possible.

Nick
Shadywood

Postby Shadywood » October 19th, 2009, 6:38 am

Aargh! The only reason I purchased BCC yesterday was to complete a 500+ card project that relies on importing data from a tab-delimited file.

I went and tried BCC 4.5.6, and although it does import File fields, it's SO full of bugs (formatting doesn't remain constant on file fields, fields lose their contents if the source file is moved, fields lose their data if you save the project and return to it, fields can't handle certain characters, etc., etc., etc.) that I gave up.

What a bloody mess!
Shadywood

Postby Shadywood » October 21st, 2009, 7:48 am

Many, MANY thanks to the BeLight team for saving my project by emailing me a pre-release bug fix for the File Import bug.

Incredible customer support. Just incredible! Thank you!

Return to “Business Card Composer”