export to Illustrator

REM

Postby REM » September 2nd, 2009, 2:05 pm

Is it possible to export a business card to illustrator?

If so How?

I am using Illustrator CS2 (12.01)

Mac OS X.5.8
Nick

Postby Nick » September 3rd, 2009, 2:39 am

You can use the PDF format to transfer the card design from Business Card Composer to Illustrator. To save a PDf file, select File > export in the menu. In the dialod that will open, choose PDF format and click Save.

Nick
REM

Postby REM » September 3rd, 2009, 6:14 am

I can save the document as a PDF from Business Card Composer, but it will not be recognized by Illustrator CS2. I can opened the file in Acrobat and saved it as a .ps file and that will be seen by Illustrator but the color change takes place in Acrobat and my skills with Illustrator are minimal.

Let me get a little more detailed about the problem.

The card I designed has 2 blue gradients one from the top and another from the bottom both covering about 1/4 of the card. When I print them from my Xerox laser or my HP inkjet the color matches the color on the screen. When I send it to a printer, the color shifts from blue to a purple. I know that this is caused by the color going from RGB to CMYK so I was hoping to get the color right in Illustrator and send this to the printers.
Nick

Postby Nick » September 3rd, 2009, 6:47 am

It sounds strange that a PDF created in Business Card Composer cannot be opened in Illustrator.

You can try to create an image with gradient in Illustrator and insert it into the document of Business Card Composer.

Alternatively, save your document to PDF file (as you did). Open this PDF in the Preview application and re-save (File > Save As). Maybe this file will be open by Illustrator.

Nick
REM

Postby REM » September 3rd, 2009, 7:01 am

Will give it a try.

Thank You
REM

Postby REM » September 3rd, 2009, 7:19 am

Is their anyway to work in CMYK in BCC so I can see if the change I need can be done this way?
Nick

Postby Nick » September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 am

When you select colors in BCC, you can work with CMYK colors.
The color space can be selected in the Colors pane.

To have "completely CMYK" document, you have to apply only CMYK colors to text, shape fill, lines, shadows, etc. Also, imported imaged should be converted to CMYK before adding into the document.

If the printing service accepts TIFF files, you can convert the document to CMYK colors when save it to a TIFF file.

Nick
REM

Postby REM » September 3rd, 2009, 3:21 pm

Thank You

Will try.

Return to “Business Card Composer”