Business Cards as big as posters?

Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » March 13th, 2009, 4:13 pm

I like to use Business Card Composer every day. (When I run into limitations, I switch to Adobe Photo Shop Elements V6 for the Mac. And if I could switch away from Adobe to something that was more compatible with BCC, I would.)

Now I discover that I would like to make posters out of my business card compositions.

Is there a way of joining business cards together, but in a way that "tiles the plane" so that the "canvas" of the poster is filled up? Or is there a way I could pick and choose how the Business Cards are arranged (and where, just by pointing and clicking) on a canvas that is measured in feet? or fives/tens of inches?
Nick

Postby Nick » March 14th, 2009, 1:56 am

There is File > Print Multiple Designs function that lets print different designs on one page. The paper format choice is limited by standard papers Letter and A4 (8 or 10 cards per page). For bigger posters, you can save several pages to PDF or other format (File > Export) and combine them in any layout program on larger page format.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » March 14th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Nick wrote:
"There is File > Print Multiple Designs function that lets print different designs on one page. The paper format choice is limited by standard papers Letter and A4 (8 or 10 cards per page). For bigger posters, you can save several pages to PDF or other format (File > Export) and combine them in any layout program on larger page format"

I'm not sure what you mean by "any layout program" - do you mean that I could export it to a program like Swift Publisher? I have not yet bought that program yet. Do you consider Belight Software's Swift Publisher a suitable "layout program"? My Mac mini remains unexpanded, and all it has, is its original ram.

Does an unexpanded Mac mini have enough memory to put both Swift Publisher and Business Card Composer on the bottom toolbar, and have a window open for each of them?

(Right now I use Apple's own wordprocessor program - "Pages" - and while it is okay, I don't really spend much time using it.)
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » March 14th, 2009, 6:06 pm

Hi Beta_Zeroid,
An interesting tip (just mho as usual):
You may copy a layout from BCC then paste it into another BeLight application (say Swift Publisher) w/o the need to export to pdf/tiff…
Note,yet, that you have to copy/paste each layer (foreground and background) separately.
Doing so, each object remains editable.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » March 16th, 2009, 4:13 am

Hi Beta_Zeroid,

It's a quite simple task to combine several images on one page. Swift Publisher, Pages will cope with this. You wrote, you have Adobe Photoshop Elements. Photoshop lets you (I hope the Elements version too) create a new document and add place several images in it.

The creation of a collage out of several images should be possible on the basic MacMini configurations.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » March 17th, 2009, 12:56 am

Nick wrote:Hi Beta_Zeroid,

It's a quite simple task to combine several images on one page. Swift Publisher, Pages will cope with this. You wrote, you have Adobe Photoshop Elements. Photoshop lets you (I hope the Elements version too) create a new document and add place several images in it.

The creation of a collage out of several images should be possible on the basic MacMini configurations.

Nick

I am usually tinkering with things at 4, 5, or 6 point, and tenths thereof, and I usually resort to a bit-twiddling graphic editor (like Adobe Photo Shop Elements V6) because it will let me zoom in on something, with some difficulty, and adjust things that are almost indiscernible to your typical reader. But there are serious deficiencies in Version 6 that I blame on programmers not using the right Boolean operations to dig into the graphics level that is really down there at the 300 dpi or 450 dpi range or better. It ought to be easier to specify the actual X and Y axes when you are in Adobe Photo Shop Elements V6. Business Card Composer is a lot better in that respect, you just click the "Inspector" (and look around a little bit), and sure enough there is a place to adjust the X and Y locations.

(Unfortunately, there is no way yet for BCC to remember a specific X and Y location for revisiting later on; maybe the dashboard is for that, I don't know as I haven't tried it out enough yet.)

It's frustrating when the Adobe pencil or elliptical tool (for instance) forgets where it is, and ends up editing the wrong pixel! Setting the Adobe pencil tool to 1 bit doesn't help, it keeps missing the bit that I am trying to get. Cursed modern programmers, they have no idea what it's like to WORRY about (and adjust) tiny little bits that can barely be seen. Adobe appears to be more reliable when you are dealing with large graphic objects, or graphic files. I am constantly fiddling around with objects that should be symmetrical, but just aren't, no matter how hard I try. Anyway, that is why I would like to migrate over to a graphics tool by Belight instead. Maybe I'll just have to wait, and keep waiting.

But so far, I really like Business Card Composer.
Nick

Postby Nick » March 17th, 2009, 3:08 am

Beta_Zeroid,

In case you are owner of Disc Cover (once you wrote that you have interest to it), you can use this program to create a small poster with samples of business cards. Disc Cover (DC) lest create a document up to 23.6 x 23.6 in (60 x 60 cm). It's larger than the standard paper in BCC. In DC, you will have to create a custom paper layout with one design element on it. Both should have the same size to use the whole page for the design. I'll give you more details if you decide to try.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » April 18th, 2009, 11:34 pm

Nick wrote:Beta_Zeroid,

In case you are owner of Disc Cover (once you wrote that you have interest to it), you can use this program to create a small poster with samples of business cards. Disc Cover (DC) lest create a document up to 23.6 x 23.6 in (60 x 60 cm). It's larger than the standard paper in BCC. In DC, you will have to create a custom paper layout with one design element on it. Both should have the same size to use the whole page for the design. I'll give you more details if you decide to try.

Nick

Yes, I went and bought it, but I don't use it very much (because I spend most of my time in Business Card Composer)...

Hmmmm.... Um, wait, the largest you can print is 23.6 x 23.6 inches? That seems kind of limiting. Most posters that I have seen, measure about 2 x 3 feet, sometimes 2.5 x 3.5 feet, sometimes somewhat larger... That's what real print shops are for, they can handle sheets of paper that are so much bigger... The local Kinko's (bought out by, and merged with Fed Express) has some posters that measure something close to that... Clearly necessitating a conversation with the local Kinko's clerk... But where there's a will, there's a way...
Last edited by Beta_Zeroid on April 21st, 2009, 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Business Card Composer”