How Do I save to a PDF without going to the Print Menu?

mellymel06

Postby mellymel06 » October 9th, 2008, 6:35 pm

When I have used the "Save to PDF" option from the Print Menu (the only place I can find the Save to PDF option) and then print it on a printer other than one I have installed on my computer, it prints out smaller than the normal business card size. However, when I print from the printer installed on my computer, it prints perfectly normal on both sides.

Also, I printed the front and back of the business cards, I paid to have them printed and they didn't line up correctly. How do I create the correct settings so that the front and back line up evenly. This was a very expensive project and they are all off and look crappy!

Thank you!
-Melissa
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » October 10th, 2008, 2:09 am

Hi mellymel06,
Making PDF files w/o the need to "print to files (Save as PDF…)" is possible using File>Export…
From there, you may select format (PDF, tiff…) and options (Text to Curves, Bleeds/Cut Marks).
Imho, differences between the two printed documents (in terms of size) when printing using two different printers should be related to the printers settings, in particular have a look to "Scale".
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » October 10th, 2008, 3:29 am

Hi Melissa,

How Do I save to a PDF without going to the Print Menu?

Use the File > Export menu.

When I have used the "Save to PDF" option from the Print Menu (the only place I can find the Save to PDF option) and then print it on a printer other than one I have installed on my computer, it prints out smaller than the normal business card size. However, when I print from the printer installed on my computer, it prints perfectly normal on both sides.

1. When you print from Business Card Composer, it prepares the job for the printer. When you print a PDF file, another program is responsible for printing. You should find differences in the print settings. Check settings in File > Page Setup and File > Print of "another" program. There are scale functions - you should disable scaling.
2. When you use export in BC Composer (File > Export) there is the Use bleeds option. When it is enabled, the output PDF file is bigger than a standard page (Letter or A4). If you print PDF with bleeds, it may be scaled down (this depends on print settings) to fit the actual page.

Also, I printed the front and back of the business cards, I paid to have them printed and they didn't line up correctly. How do I create the correct settings so that the front and back line up evenly. This was a very expensive project and they are all off and look crappy!

When you print a sheet of cards using Business Card Composer, the program allows to calibrate the printer (File > Calibrate Printer). If cards are printed using other software, this software should line up the front and back sides of the cards.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”