Fit to Card, print problem

Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 25th, 2008, 12:40 am

Hello,
After over 6 hours and a pack of blank cards I'm here asking for help. New Intel Imac running leopard. Have installed current updates for Epson stylus CX6600. Have used the scale parameter to get a good fit top to bottom but I'm still lacking about 3 millimeters on the left side and about 2 millimeters on the right covering the cards. I have inserted a blank rectangle that is dead on 2" X 3.5". Using Avery 8871 paper.
Thanks in advance.
Matt
Last edited by Matt Walker on August 25th, 2008, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » August 25th, 2008, 2:57 am

Hi Matt,

The Horizontal and Vertical values in the calibration dialog change the corresponding location of all the cards on the sheet. If cards are printed 3 mm too far to the right, make the Horizontal value smaller by 3 mm (negatives are possible).
What about the vertical position of cards?

Nick
Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 25th, 2008, 10:59 am

Thanks Nick.
Started on another pack this morning! Still wasting paper and ink.
The vertical position is OK. I have moved the horizontal all over the paper. But never got it in line. The last sheet I set Hor. to 0. That gives me a sheet that is printed 171 MM wide. Still falling short of covering the card stock by 3.5 mm on the right side and 2.5 mm on the left. Seems like it can't cover the whole 7 ". I'm starting to think this program is unusable with my printer? Maybe I need to leave it alone a while. Getting confused and discouraged by now.
Thanks .. Matt
Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 25th, 2008, 7:59 pm

Here is a link to a scan of a sheet that I printed the calibration on, I then entered the values and printed the 2 x 3.5 gray card blank on the same sheet.

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/4499/img001av8.jpg

If you look close the uncovered areas on each side of the gray can be seen.
Thanks, Matt
Nick

Postby Nick » August 26th, 2008, 3:10 am

Hi Matt,
Thanks for the picture!

Please make sure that you select Avery 8871 before printing calibration and cards.
To choose paper, use File > Card Properties menu (type 8871 into the search box).
For double-check, see information section in the BC Composer's print dialog - it's above the Cancel and Next buttons.

In the standard Print dialog, there is a scale function. Please make sure that it is disabled.
Set also the Presets pop-up menu to Standard.

You can also try to inverse the Print as raster image check box in the Composer's print dialog.

Nick
Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 26th, 2008, 8:27 pm

Thanks again Nick, for taking the time to bother with my problem. I tried the things you mentioned. As well as run some utilities on the printer. No Joy!
I ponder if there is a way to figure out if the problem originates in my new computer or in the older printer. Short of buying a new printer, which I have considered.
Seems like a great program until I get to the printing issue. Actually one of the best I have used. Easy, fast and powerful. It will be a shame if I can't ever use it.
Matt
Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 26th, 2008, 10:02 pm

I got the free Avery "Design Pro" and ran a sheet as an experiment. Here is what I got.

http://img515.imageshack.us/my.php?image=averyexperimentsv9.jpg

Top to bottom is wild but you can see that I have the same problem side to side as with Business Card Composer. Deduction: BCC isn't the problem. But I still don't know if it's the printer or computer? I would appreciate any advice.
Thanks .. Matt
Nick

Postby Nick » August 27th, 2008, 7:16 am

Hi Matt,

1. Common printer settings can cause scaling of the picture in two programs. If you have checked the print dialog, maybe there is another reason.
If you are printing in low quality mode, move to the best quality. Draft (high speed) printing is usually inaccurate.

2. In your first post:
Have used the scale parameter to get a good fit top to bottom

For vertical alignment, you should use the Scale parameter in BCC calibration dialog. Any other scaling in File > Page Setup and Print dialog should be disabled.

3. Cleaning the printer may help if the print head moves not smoothly or with noise.

Nick
Matt Walker

Postby Matt Walker » August 27th, 2008, 11:46 pm

Thanks for all your help Nick. A new printer cured all the problems.
http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/9343/34920161co9.jpg
Later .. Matt

Return to “Business Card Composer”