Difficulties Printing Double-Sided Business Cards

Cea

Postby Cea » May 16th, 2008, 5:01 am

Hello. I am relatively new to this program, and wanted to start printing my first double-sided business card. I have already downloaded the latest Business Card Composer 4.5 update, and was hoping that would take care of my troubles, but, alas, not a chance.

First challenge. When I work on the front side of the business card, and I am happy with my design, I turn it over by selecting the little toggle switch on the lower left-hand side of the window. When I am viewing the backside, the image of the foreground is layered on top of the background! I am unable to delete any of the layers, and am stuck with two layers together. That's my first dilemma.

Secondly, when I finally have managed to assemble both sides of the same project where they should be, on the front and back of a business card, and I print the top page - - fine, then I turn the page over and print the back image on the back of the page, it always comes out registered wrong, horizontally off by about 3/8 ths of an inch. I haven't been able to figure out how to adjust the settings to get it right.

Lastly, the printer display (Epson Stylus Photo RX580) shows 10 cards on one sheet, yet when the printed page comes out, the bottom two cards are missing half their images, and there's way too much empty space at the top of the page. So, then, since I don't know how to adjust the page, I can only choose to print 8 at a time, which is a shame, when I know the paper has room for all ten.

I know this is three problems at once, but I thought they might be related. It's frustrating that the update did not affect any of these challenges. Oh yes, and my computer is a MacBook Pro, with all the latest updates.

Thanks for any assistance.

Cea
Nick

Postby Nick » May 16th, 2008, 6:52 am

Hi Cea,

A Business Card Composer document has two layers. When you edit one layer, object on another are not accessible but can be visible. An image laying in the foreground is visible when the corresponding option is selected on the General tab of the program preferences (Cmd-,).
To delete an image from the foreground, activate this layer.

Your second and third questions concern the same issue. You should calibrate your printer. Choose File > Calibrate Printer in the menu to open the calibration dialog. Make sure that your printer is shown at the top. Then click Print. On the calibration sheet you will find three rulers. The calibration dialog contains boxes with the same names. You should take values where each ruler crosses the card edge and put into the corresponding box. Use the minus sign for negative values if necessary.
When the dialog is populated with calibration values, click OK. Don't print the calibration sheet any more, print your cards.

Nick
Cea

Postby Cea » May 20th, 2008, 5:52 pm

Nick,

You have been exemplary in your rapid replies. I have only just now returned from out of town, so this has been the first chance I've had to respond to your timely advice.

I went back to BCC (Business Card Composer), and found my file. I did as you suggested, and while the Calibration did help somewhat in the outcome, it still did not solve the two bottom cards being cut in half.

I did some further investigation. During this process, I realized that the business cards were always being printed in an incorrect size (not 3.5x2"). I looked for more answers.

On the BBC Menu Bar, I found "Card Properites". When the window opened, I chose "Predefined Layout". Then I chose my paper size (letter), and when the various options opened up, I chose "CY 10 - My Own - 12 cards (3.5x2"). I hit the "close" button, and then opened up my printer dialog. Voila! A new layout. I chose the same thing for the back of my card. When I printed each side out, they came out perfectly registered, front to back, with NO calibration.

By the way, when I tried to calibrate the new layout, the printed calibration did not change to suit the new layout, therefore I was denied that option anyway). Thank heavens it wasn't needed!

I thought you might wish to know what really worked, and what didn't work out so well.

All best wishes, Cea
Nick

Postby Nick » May 21st, 2008, 1:53 am

Cea,

From your last answer, may follow that you used a default paper template. All business card papers have the part number like "Avery 5873" or "A-ONE 51011". For accurate printing, you should choose a template that has this part number or compatible with your paper.

Nick

Return to “Business Card Composer”