Editing Clip Art?

lionel

Postby lionel » January 24th, 2008, 8:34 pm

A BCC clip art item is close to what I'm looking for, but one item in the image is a bad color that does not work with the rest of the card (so I have been told). The object is grouped with objects of other colors throughout the image (I can't see how to ungroup it), so if I select the object and change its color, it changes a lot of the rest of the image.

How can I edit just one part of a clip art image?

I tried using Image Tricks, but it seems designed to operate on an entire image, not a sub-section of it.

Thanks for your help.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 25th, 2008, 3:40 am

BCC does cannot group/ungroup objects yet. So the image, you don't like, is a single one. If the Crop tool in Image Tricks does not allow to remove an unwanted part of image, try to hide that part by placing another image over it. This method requires some creativity and it works not in all cases.

Nick
lionel

Postby lionel » January 25th, 2008, 9:46 am

In trying to apply your creative workaround, I came across another editing problem: I copied the image, cropped the part I wanted to change, and made a different colored version. I then tried to place the new object over the part that I want to change, but I can't get an exact overlap by using the keyboard arrows to move the foreground image. Is there a more precise way of moving images (say, at the pixel level)?
Nick

Postby Nick » January 26th, 2008, 1:56 pm

Unfortunately, Image Tricks does not provide more accurate way to crop images.

Nick
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 7th, 2008, 10:51 pm

lionel wrote:In trying to apply your creative workaround, I came across another editing problem: I copied the image, cropped the part I wanted to change, and made a different colored version. I then tried to place the new object over the part that I want to change, but I can't get an exact overlap by using the keyboard arrows to move the foreground image. Is there a more precise way of moving images (say, at the pixel level)?

I am very new to the Mac, and am still having a hard time finding the right folder to examine, and even if I found it, know what to do with it if I found it. Consequently I find myself going from folder to folder, looking in vain for what I am sure is there, somewhere.

Does anybody know which folder contains the "Smart Shapes" so I can attempt editing them using a bitmap editor like Pixen? (What I am looking for, is a smart shape with an angle that is significantly steeper or sharper than 45 degrees.)

As for icons in general - the ones that are not "Smart Shapes" - which folder on the Mac contains the icons we see deployed on the desktop, or the bottom toolbar?

Is it safe to edit them with a bitmap editor like Pixen? Or should I attempt to use something like Photoshop?
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » November 8th, 2008, 5:56 am

Beta_Zeroid wrote:I am very new to the Mac, and am still having a hard time finding the right folder to examine, and even if I found it, know what to do with it if I found it. Consequently I find myself going from folder to folder, looking in vain for what I am sure is there, somewhere.

To keep them within reach, you may create aliases on the Desktop (or anywhere else) or drag and drop folders/documents icons "into" the Dock (at the right side of it, beside the Trash icon).
Does anybody know which folder contains the "Smart Shapes" so I can attempt editing them using a bitmap editor like Pixen? (What I am looking for, is a smart shape with an angle that is significantly steeper or sharper than 45 degrees.)

Most of the time, these kind of datas (folders/files) are located in
(at a specific user level)
~/Library/Application Support/
or (at the "computer" level (for all users of this computer))
/Library/Application Support/
So, for example, cliparts from BeLight are located at
/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/ClipArt/

In this BeLight Software folder (see above), you'll find a "BasicShapes" folder containing previews of Smart Shapes (yes, you're right, it may seem strange that this folder name should not be "SmartShapes"). Note that they are previews only, not the 'real" Smart Shapes!
Smart Shapes are some kinds of vector objects that are calculated and drawn "internally" (by DC/SP…) not some kinds of bitmap images you can edit opening them in an external editor (Pixen, Image Tricks…).

As for icons in general - the ones that are not "Smart Shapes" - which folder on the Mac contains the icons we see deployed on the desktop, or the bottom toolbar?

Icons on the Desktop or in the Dock (the bottom toolbar) are located:
1. in applications packages if they are applications icons (Art Text, Disc Cover…)

2. in documents packages if they are documents previews icons or in applications packages if they are generic documents icons.
Well, what are these packages?
They are folders that don't look like folders but like files (applications/documents). You may access to the content of these packages using ctrl-click (or right-click) on documents/applications icon then selecting "Display Package Content" (not sure of the exact label). Most of the time, applications icon are located in the /Contents/Resources/ folder inside applications packages.
Caution: duplicate them before editing these files!

Is it safe to edit them with a bitmap editor like Pixen? Or should I attempt to use something like Photoshop?

From my point of view, there's no difference in term of "safety" between PS and Pixen (but there're in term of price!). What do you want to do with edited version of icons? New icons? Use them as parts of your own documents?

If you're looking for something between Image Tricks/Pixen and Photoshop, have a look at Seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/index.php)
a free (and open source) bitmap images editor with layers, blend modes and (some) effects.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Jean-Jacques Boutaud on November 8th, 2008, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 8th, 2008, 10:20 pm

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:
Beta_Zeroid wrote:I am very new to the Mac, and am still having a hard time finding the right folder to examine, and even if I found it, know what to do with it if I found it. Consequently I find myself going from folder to folder, looking in vain for what I am sure is there, somewhere.

To keep them within reach, you may create aliases on the Desktop (or anywhere else) or drag and drop folders/documents icons "into" the Dock (at the right side of it, beside the Trash icon).

Most of the time, these kind of datas (folders/files) are located in
(at a specific user level)
~/Library/Application Support/
or (at the "computer" level (for all users of this computer))
/Library/Application Support/
So, for example, cliparts from BeLight are located at
/Library/Application Support/BeLight Software/ClipArt/

<snip>

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:If you're looking for something between Image Tricks/Pixen and Photoshop, have a look at Seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/index.php)
a free (and open source) bitmap images editor with layers, blend modes and (some) effects.

Hope this helps.

Thanks, that was very helpful.

The more I use Business Card Composer, the more I am impressed with it.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » November 9th, 2008, 7:10 am

Hi,
About clipart from BeLight Software:
There're three different image formats used in the BeLight ClipArt collection:
-- pdf
-- jpg
-- hpi
This last (and not so current) format from Hemera can't be opened in Pixelmator, Preview, iPhoto […] just to name a few.
Beside using Image Tricks (or one the other BeLight applications) and Graphic Converter to open (and edit) them, here's a list of compatible applications (not all are Mac OS X compatible, yet):
AppleWorks®, (Mac® only); Adobe® (PhotoDeluxe®, FrameMaker®
InDesign®, Photoshop®, Photoshop® Elements, Illustrator®, PageMaker® Plus, GoLive®); Corel® (CorelDRAW®, Corel PHOTO-PAINT®, Corel Print House™, Corel Print Office™, Corel Custom Photo, WordPerfect®); Quark™ (QuarkXPress™); Microsoft® (Word, PowerPoint®, Excel); Macromedia® (Fireworks®, FreeHand®, Flash™, Dreamweaver®, Director®)
(this list comes from the Hemera website).
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Beta_Zeroid

Postby Beta_Zeroid » November 9th, 2008, 4:42 pm

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:
Beta_Zeroid wrote:Is it safe to edit them with a bitmap editor like Pixen? Or should I attempt to use something like Photoshop?

From my point of view, there's no difference in term of "safety" between PS and Pixen (but there're in term of price!).

You mean there's no executable object code inside of the graphics? If that is the case, it's going to be a whole lot safer and easier editing the graphics than I thought. (I come from the olden days where everybody was paranoid, and programmers went to insane lengths to secure their software. You know, the days of tracks and sectors, and that sort of stuff.)

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:What do you want to do with edited version of icons? New icons? Use them as parts of your own documents?

Yes, I want to use them as "jumping off points" - and edit them suitably, and then put them in my documents.

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:If you're looking for something between Image Tricks/Pixen and Photoshop, have a look at Seashore (http://seashore.sourceforge.net/index.php)

Hope this helps.

Yes, I think you've been very helpful.

Return to “Business Card Composer”