ligature

MichaelM

Postby MichaelM » December 30th, 2007, 9:50 pm

I have a special font that I purchased that has th ligature in small and caps. I can find the small th but not the big TH. Any clues here? The small one comes up with (Option-t) I tried all possible keystrokes I could come up with. I did not understand what the (font-ligature- ) selection does.

I had the 10 up problem and I read the posts. So I got that one figured out.

I saved a pdf file and sent it to Kinkos to get printed. the quality of the text is not great. I noticed the file size is only 40KB. I read a little about the option of saving the text as curved.....that made the file size 80KB....should that make a difference to Kinkos? I found the original file that my graphic artist made awhile back ..pratically identical info for all practical purposes...that file is 192 KB. Are some pdf files higher resolution? I am a dummy with this stuff obviously

Thanks,
Michael
Nick

Postby Nick » December 31st, 2007, 4:47 am

Hello Michael,

Probably ligature for TH does not exist. Can you see it working in TextEdit.app or other applications?

A PDF file where all text is converted to curves (vector images) is usually larger than with real text.
Using this method lets people see (print) your document correctly even if they don't have your fonts on their computers. An alternative to this is sending fonts with your document (PDF).

Converted to curves, text does not loose quality because it is vector (no problems with resolution).
If the printed text looks differently, what the difference?

BTW, what kind of PDF you use?
There were discussions about PDF/X
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2718
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2672

According to them, text may loose quality if there is a transparent image in the background when you export to PDF/X.

Nick
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » December 31st, 2007, 6:38 am

Hi all,
About ligatures, fonts…
You may, also, use the Font Book to visualize all glyphs (characters) available from a specific font (FONT Book>Preview>Repertoire).
Note also that some existing characters haven't shortcuts, so you have to use the Characters Palette to get them using drag/drop or insert button (bottom right of this palette).
An alternative is to use the Typography palette (from the Font palette).

About printing, text…
If your text seems to be "muddied" or if its color is more blue/brown than black (supposing you've set text to black), see if you've set the text color using RGB (setting all sliders to 0 or CMKY setting all sliders to 100%.
Black text (especially small size text and small graphics like lines for ex.) are better printed if the color (black) is made of black color/ink only.
The same occurs with grays, don't use mixes of RGB to make grays, use grayscales setting Brightness to get the right gray.
"Rich Black" (black color made with black + some other CMY colors) are for large areas/graphics/text and is used to get a more "intense" black color.
In a general way, the best way to have the best result is to ask your printer what to do about colors, black color, pdf compression, fonts…
There's also a "small" problem when using PDF-X/3 from Mac OS X (at least 10.4.x). when using the default factory settings for exporting to PDF/X-3, transparency is flattened to 72 dpi. So, some parts of your design may be aliased when printed.
One more time, ask your printer about the absolute (or not) necessity to make your PDF files are PDF/X-3 ones.
PDF/X-3 isn't a special PDF format, it's "just" a way to be sure that:
- all fonts are embedded to your PDF files
- transparency is flattened (creating, on the fly, new images if necessary)
- some others… (see other posts about PDF/X-3 if needed).

Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website

Return to “Business Card Composer”