Can't print to disc on Epson R1800 in 10.6.2

unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 30th, 2009, 2:01 pm

So use the Gutenprint drivers? That's what are on the Snow Leopard Installation discs. I have those installed but not used as I opted to install Epson's branded driver package.

I'm going to demo DiscLabel and see if that works. If not I'll try your suggestion. I don't like to fiddle too much with my workstations, as I can print from Aperture and Photoshop the way I am setup.

Thanks,

Warren
dfuerpo

Postby dfuerpo » January 2nd, 2010, 12:46 pm

I would like to add that I am having the exact same problem as unfilmde except that my problem started yesterday when I upgraded Disc Cover from version 2.3.0 to 2.3.2. Everything else is the same as unfilmde: OS X 10.6.2 with the latest Epson R1800 driver 6.1.2. Before yesterday, I printed to disc without problems but now after upgrading to 2.3.2 I get the same error. I really think this is a problem with 2.3.2.

Update: I have confirmed that the workaround suggested above by Starsong works!! If you manually set the page format to A4 in the last dialog, printing works and you don't get the "wrong page format" error. Since my printing problem only started when I updated Disc Cover to 2.3.2 and it seems to be the same as the others are having, it is strong evidence that something in 2.3.2 is broken, at least in its interaction with OSX 10.6.2 and the Epson print driver.

Doug
Last edited by dfuerpo on January 2nd, 2010, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 3rd, 2010, 4:03 am

Hi Doug,

Thanks for the info. This may be a clue. We'll check both versions 2.3.0 and 2.3.2.

Nick
mark2ain

Postby mark2ain » June 21st, 2010, 11:14 pm

I just jumped through all the hoops to get Disc Cover to print on my Epson R1800. Having read through this thread, I just want to add this confirmation of points already made. In my case the printer kept aborting the job and telling me that the paper source wasn't selected correctly. It took me a long time to figure out what someone here mentioned earlier that you not only have to select A4 paper in the Page Setup, you have to hold for the A4 drop down menu to open and choose the A4 (DVD/CD) option. But here's the rub -- as someone else has mentioned -- the Page Setup doesn't get saved with the file. Nor can you save a template with these Page Setup settings. So you have to remember to redo Page Setup for each new label or each time you reopen the program to reprint an existing label.

I'm not enough of a techie to know whether this failure to save the Page Setup is the fault of Disc Cover or of the Epson driver, but I do know that once I figured the problem lay there, I was able to print to my R1800 successfully.
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » June 22nd, 2010, 1:32 am

What is happening here in this version that is different, in the past when you went to page set up and chose A4--> CD/DVD it would stick when you then went to print.

Now what happens is you set it to A4--> CD/DVD in page set up, print and you get an error that paper isn't loaded correctly or set correctly, because the A4--> CD/DVD setting doesn't stick, you have to abort printing go to page set up again, set it to A4--> CD/DVD and then print and it prints.

This happens in 10.6.3 and 10.6.4 still, having started in 10.6.2. I think Belight just needs to address the code to get the page set up setting to stick.
Nick

Postby Nick » June 22nd, 2010, 4:44 am

Hi,

Usually we recommend users install the Epson EasyPrint utility. It allows to make most of settings in the print dialog automatically. See if this utility will help you with the paper format as well.

If we manage to repeat this problem, we'll try to fix it.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » June 22nd, 2010, 9:51 am

I have easy print installed. Nick I reported this in the first post at the top of this thread. It doesn't stick in your new version so we use a work around. I can duplicate it on the two mac pros I own with the two R1800 I have.
mark2ain

Postby mark2ain » June 22nd, 2010, 7:11 pm

I just thought I'd add -- since it may be relevant -- that my R1800 is not my default printer. My default is an HP All-In-One which doesn't have the ability to print onto disks. What I've noticed is that even if I've saved the label, Disc Cover Page Setup reverts to the default HP printer, which, of course, does not include the option of choosing A4 (CD/DVD) paper. So every time I want to reprint a label or start a new one, I do have to go into Page Setup, select my R1800 and then do the paper choice before I'll have any luck. Now I'm thinking maybe there's a connection between the failure to save Page Setup settings and the fact that the R1800 is not my default printer and is not always turned on. (I have used the Epson Print CD software, designed, of course, to work with the R1800 and it has no trouble remembering what printer I want to print to -- still, it is dedicated to the Epson product.)

Anyway -- don't know if this adds anything to the discussion, but there it is.
Nick

Postby Nick » June 23rd, 2010, 7:01 am

Hi unfilmde and mark2ain,

Thanks for details. On our test computer the problem is repeating too.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » June 23rd, 2010, 9:58 am

Nick,

Thanks for testing!
wendylou

Postby wendylou » November 11th, 2010, 1:18 am

I still cannot print with Disc Cover 2 to the R1800 on OS X Leopard PowerPC. It worked in prior versions albeit with much settings trial and error, but not the last version 2. So I just tried the new Disc Cover 3 in demo mode, but it cannot print to R1800. It reports the exact same error as before, "Front paper feed guide open", as the printer paper and ink lights flash rapidly, indicating some bad communication. So Disc Cover 3 has not addressed this problem.

Setting to A4 does not fix it, nor does installing Epson EasyPrint. I have tried everything recommended on the forum and in customer service emails. Other programs can print, just not Disc Cover. Your developer ought to know that it used to print to disc several versions back, but only after forcing A4 paper settings that never stayed set, and doing things in a specific order. This is extremely frustrating. If you have an Epson R1800, beware. The spotlight is on Belight, as other programs work without this issue. I'm still waiting for a fix. Last I read here, they have confirmed the issue.
Last edited by wendylou on November 11th, 2010, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » November 11th, 2010, 11:52 am

Thanks for info. I'll discuss it with the programmers and reply you.

Please tell me the exact version of Mac OS you have. To find this out, click on the Apple menu and choose About This Mac. We'll try to test the program under similar conditions.

Nick
Nick

Postby Nick » November 12th, 2010, 4:26 am

Did you try to print with the latest versions of EasyPrint and Epson drivers?

The error message you receive indicates that the media type (CD/DVD) has been set incorrectly. Disc Cover sets up the media type using using EasyPrint.

Please do these tests:
1. Start printing on a disc in regular way. Make sure that in the Disc Cover's print dialog the "Epson Tray Type 2" is selected.
2. In the system print dialog:
- Set Presets to Standard.
- Open the Paper Handling section (click on Layout pop-up) and take a screenshot (Cmd-Shift-3). The taken screenshots can be found on your Desktop.
- Open the Print Settings section and take a screenshot (Cmd-Shift-3). Make sure that the Media Type is CD/DVD.
3. Click Print. Will the problem repeat?

Please send the screenshots to support@belightsoft.com

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”