Can't print to disc on Epson R1800 in 10.6.2

unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 22nd, 2009, 2:51 pm

I used to print to disc all the time on my Epson R1800 under OS X 10.5.8. Since upgrading to Snow Leopard and updating Epson's drivers to latest 10.6 compatible, when I print to disc I set the CD/DVD tray A4 in page set up as I always did. All is well. I go to print and I get an error that the paper is set up incorrectly.

What is happening in 10.6.2 is the CD/DVD tray setting is not sticking when you set it in page set up in Disc Cover 2 RE 2.3.2 (came with Toast 10).

It should be set in page set up to A4 CD/DVD. Then in the print dialogue box in Disc Cover RE it is set to Tray 2, this is correct.

It just won't print. I can CD/DVD print with Epson's PrintCD so it is not the printer or the OS.

What has changed?
Nick

Postby Nick » December 23rd, 2009, 4:13 am

Hi,

The problem could be caused by the printer driver. Use links on this page to check its version and to download it:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=9069

On this page you can find an Epson's instruction on how to re-install the printer driver.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 23rd, 2009, 12:06 pm

No I have the correct drivers downloaded from Epson. The Apple drivers in the Epson 2.2 update use Gutenprint v5.2.3 for the R1800. I am using the correct drivers from Epson site directly. This is a unique and specific issue with Disc Cover RE as I can print from Aperture, Photoshop, iPhoto, and Epson's own PrintCD and they all remember the paper/path, size and setting. The Page set up in Disc Cover is not working properly in Disc Cover with Snow Leopard 10.6.2. It seems to forget what you selected.

After you have the problem and stop the job with the Epson print monitor, when you try to print again and check Page set up in Disc Cover, it defaults back to US Letter, and does not stay at A4 CD/DVD tray.

The work around for now is to use the inferior Epson PrintCD until there is a fix for Disc Cover.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 24th, 2009, 9:08 am

We tried to reproduce this problem. And as far as I understand the situation is the following.

You have the US Letter format as the default in the Print & Fax section of the System Preferences. Probably this format was selected automatically when you try to print on a disc.

To print on a CD or DVD, try to re-select your Epson printer in the Disc Cover Print dialog. Another way is to choose the A4 (CD/DVD) format in the File > Page Setup dialog right before printing.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 24th, 2009, 12:19 pm

You wrote: "To print on a CD or DVD, try to re-select your Epson printer in the Disc Cover Print dialog. Another way is to choose the A4 (CD/DVD) format in the File > Page Setup dialog right before printing."

I do this. This is what I've always done in 10.5.8. This is what I did in 10.6.2, except in 10.6.2 the setting in page set up won't stick. It is as if you didn't set it to A4 (CD/DVD) even though I did.

Something in the OS or Disc Cover has changed. I am forced to use Epson PrintCD until this is fixed in Disc Cover. You are welcome to call me. And I can go through the problem with you on the phone. Email for my number.

Warren
starsong

Postby starsong » December 25th, 2009, 6:36 am

I also have this problem printing to Epson R800 on CD/DVD. Everything was working fine until, I believe, the Apple Epson 2.2 driver update. This is the only thing that has changed.

Disc Cover 2, latest version, refuses to print using the CD/DVD tray. Print spooler fails with an error and the wrong paper path light flashes red on the printer.

Over the past week I have tried reinstalling all the printer driver, both Apple and Epson, and also Cover Disc 2, with no success.

I am using 10.6.2 and Apple Epson update 2.2, Driver 8.17.

I can print using the CD/DVD tray using Epson CD print v2, so it's not a problem with the printer.

As far as I can see Disc Cover 2 is not remembering the paper size being set to A4 (Manual Feed) under File | Page Setup. In the final printer dialog box, under paper handling, Destination Paper Size is grayed out and set to A4.

I have however found a work-a-round. I the same dialog box, click scale to fix paper size. You are then able to select A4 (Manual Feed) and success! Finally printing to the CD/DVD tray. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update of Disc Cover 2.
Nick

Postby Nick » December 25th, 2009, 6:37 am

Hi Warren,

It seems that the printer driver causes the problem. On a support web page, Epson suggests:
"Make sure you’re not using the Macintosh OS X 10.5 Gutenprint driver."
Please follow Epson's instructions:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supAdvice.jsp?type=highlights¬eoid=94207

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 25th, 2009, 1:49 pm

I'm using Epson's driver 6.1.2 for OS X 10.6 downloaded from epson's site. It is not the Epson driver it is something in Disc Cover and OS X 10.62 that has changed. I'll have to wait until you update software to fix this. Until then I have to use the inferior Epson PrintCD.

To let you know, I am an expert Mac user, not a novice, I've been trouble shooting Macs for the last 15 years.

Warren
Nick

Postby Nick » December 26th, 2009, 1:14 pm

Hi Warren,

Disc Cover works fine with an Epson printer in our office. It's possible to print on paper and discs. The printer driver version is 8.17. It's more probable that drivers of different printer models work in different way.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 26th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Yes, I guess that's the point. I have two R1800 on two different 8-core Mac Pros with brand new clean installs of the system and drivers. Neither will work now with Disc Cover, yet they worked fine in OS 10.5.8.

Let me know if there is an update.

Warren
Nick

Postby Nick » December 28th, 2009, 7:15 am

There is a "Drivers and Utilities Combo Package" on the Epson web site:
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=14121&prodoid=53540919&infoType=Downloads&platform=Macintosh
It includes:
* Printer Driver v6.12
* Epson EasyPrint v3.10
* Epson Print CD v2.0
They say: "This file contains everything you need to use your Epson Stylus Photo 1800 with your Macintosh."
Try to install this package. It may fix the situation when you have not all components of the Epson software.

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 28th, 2009, 11:37 am

Nick,

Please re-read all my posts. I've installed all the drivers you mentioned. That's what I meant by all the latest drivers from Epson and a clean install of OS X 10.6.2. I start from scratch and put in a new hard drive every time there is an New OS from Apple.

I am a professional not an amateur. Please read the post I am making before replying with stock answers.

Disc Cover is broken under OS X 10.6.2 with Epson's LATEST DRIVERS (ALL THE ONES YOU LISTED ABOVE).

What are you not understanding about my posts?

Warren
Nick

Postby Nick » December 29th, 2009, 7:41 am

I understand you very well. Any customer prefers his/her problem be solved quickly and in minimum steps. I've read the previous posts.

We have the following:
1. Epson R1800 cannot print on Mac OS 10.6.2 when you use Disc Cover with Gutenprint v5.2.3 and Epson's 6.1.2 drivers. But it works with the Epson's utility works well with R1800 (with both mentioned drivers).
2. Your printer worked well with Disc Cover on 10.5.8.
3. Other printer models work fine with Disc Cover on 10.6.2 while they are using other edition of the driver (R800 uses driver v8.17 when R1800 uses v6.1.2).
4. We didn't change significantly the printing part of Disc Cover when created the last update.
5. From our previous experience it's known that sometimes the Epson's EasyPrint software is required to be able to print on discs. This means that installing only a driver may not be enough.

To be sure that the problem is inside Disc Cover:
a. We have to meet all known requirements (the latest driver and EasyPrint) and see that Disc Cover doesn't print anyway.
- Since Disc Cover works with other printer models, it makes more possible that there is something wrong in on a particular computer. Or the driver v6.1.2 works on Snow Leopard in different way comparing with v8.17.
- I've asked you to install the complete package to make sure that all needed software is present on your computer, but you are protesting against this.

b. We should be able to print successfully using other software (rather then Disc Cover) to check the Printer+Driver part. Epson's utility is not good for this test because it may communicate with the printer using built-in capabilities not the common driver. If you could print from the Preview application or any disc labeling software, this would be a reliable test.

One more thing to check. The Epson driver requires the A4 (CD/DVD) or A4(Manual feed) paper format to print on a disc. The driver rejects CD/DVD printing if a document has a different format. So, compare the dimensions of A4 (CD/DVD) format in File > Page Setup (select this format here for printing) with the paper format stated in the standard print dialog. In the print dialog, select the Standard preset. Then in the drop-down menu select the Summary section. The document size is located in the Copies & Pages sub-section. Is it the same as in Page Setup?

Nick
unfilmde

Postby unfilmde » December 29th, 2009, 11:47 am

I don't use Gutenprint so I just wnaterd to state that first.

I did install the complete driver package from Epson. It installs the print driver, easyprint and a new 10.6 version of print CD.

I agree things have changed in 10.6. I select Page set up in Disc Cover and opt for A4 (CD/DVD) from the A4 drop down menu as I did in 10.5.8.

I then print. I make sure all parameters are correct, Tray #2 etc. Select Printer options and see that A4 (CD/DVD) is selected as source and print.

Upon printing, I get an error from Epson Print Monitor that the wrong paper size choice is selected and I have to abort.

Either Disc Cover is not remembering the page set up in 10.6.2 or the Epson Driver and all the current utilities: Easy Print, etc. are not playing right with Disc Cover.

I am the only person reporting this on two separate R1800 printers used with 2 Mac Pros with clean installs of 10.6.2?

Warren
Nick

Postby Nick » December 30th, 2009, 11:05 am

Hi Warren,

Thanks for details and for your persistence. Our email support has a customer with a similar problem that isn't fixed yet.

My colleague has suggested to try the following method. It worked with other printer models.
1. Delete the Epson printer from the System Preferences.
2. Delete the printer driver files from ~/Library/Printers. Note that this will make impossible to print disc labels using the Epson utility.
3. Install the Epson printer driver from the Snow Leopard installation disc.
4. Run the software update using the Apple > Software Update menu.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”