Disc Cover RE problem with Epson R200 direct to DVD printing

pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 6th, 2009, 7:31 am

Disc Cover RE Ver. 2.1.1
OS X Leopard 10.5.8
Epson R200 printer - Driver 3.09

Hello,

I'm having real problems printing directly to DVD with the above combo.

I have managed it a few times in the recent past, but I had difficulty even then (due, I think, to not having some of the parameters set correctly). But now I can't get it to work at all. I've followed all the steps advised in your Disc Cover RE Help file and have the correct printer, print tray, and media set but printing always fails with a 'Communication Error' in the Epson R200 print queue. During the start of printing the Epson seems to reject the print tray rather than draw it into the printer and this seems to be the cause of the whole problem.

I really appreciate Disc Cover RE, which is much much better than the Epson equivalent, and need to have it working urgently. I'd appreciate any advice on a solution.

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2009, 3:25 am

Hi,

The "Communication Error" message may indicate a problem with the physical connection. Turn the printer off. Then disconnect the USB cable and connect it again (both connectors).

Do other programs print to CD/DVD? Try the Easy Print software.

Can you print on paper with no error messages? If yes, possibly the printer is not in the "ready" state when you start printing. Try these steps when you prepare the printer to print on a disc:
1. Turn the printer off.
2. Remove all paper from the tray. Make sure that the printer cover is closed and the CD/DVD tray is not installed.
3. Turn the printer on and wait until the initialization process is finished. The indicators on the control panel should stop blinking.
4. Install the CD/DVD tray.

Nick
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 3:53 am

Thanks very much Nick for coming back to me on this so quickly.

To be honest I was in such a rush that I didn't try all those other options, but my printer is in the correct position, no paper in the tray, I have waited for it to fully stabilise before flipping down the CD/DVD tray and the light had stopped blinking. I'll try the connectors, an iMac reboot, and the paper advice you gave. Epsons software was working fine but because I found Disc Cover RE so much better I didn't even try it. I will if all else fails.

By the way I also updated to the latest Leopard version of Disc Cover RE. I'm about to upgrade to 'Snow Leopard' shortly. When will there be a compatible version of Disc Cover RE for that OS?

Regards,
Roy.
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 4:07 am

Hi Nick.

Success! But not one of the issues above. I printed to paper successfully, so this pointed to the tray as a possible issue. When it first began to draw in the tray it was stopping. I know the R200s can be fussy about the leading edge of the tray, so this time I 'helped' it forward with some slight pressure and it fed the tray in and printed normally. I'll have to check out the leading edge problem later.

Thanks again.

Roy
Nick

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2009, 4:59 am

The last update for Disc Cover RE makes the program compatible with Snow Leopard.

Disc Cover update page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/disccover/update/update.php

Nick
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 5:08 am

Thanks Nick.

Last time I looked I thought it said that the Toast 9 version of Disc Cover RE was not updated. I'll do it right away.

Thanks again.

Roy
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 5:10 am

Hello again Nick.

Just checked again and found this message which suggests the Toast 9 version is not updated (or maybe not updatable) for Snow Leopard. Can you clarify, please?

or users of Disc Cover 2.x RE (Roxio Toast 9 Titanium compatible). Note: not compatible with Snow Leopard (Mac OS 10.6):
Download the latest update file version 2.2.1 (23.4 M)

Thanks,

Roy
Nick

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2009, 5:39 am

The latest version of Disc Cover RE requires Toast 10.
With Toast 9, you have to upgrade the Roxio software. Or you can update Disc Cover RE to the standard edition. It works independently from Toast Titanum.

Nick
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 5:41 am

Thanks Nick.

That's a shame. I rarely use Toast 9 and it seems to do what I need. So I'll probably have to update Disc Cover. Is there an update discount for existing Disc Cover RE users?

Roy
Nick

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2009, 7:39 am

As far as I know, we don't have any discount at the moment.

Nick
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 7:44 am

Thanks Nick.

Whilst I appreciate the quality of your software (I'm also a LiveInterior 3D user) I really feel it's unfair to treat existing Disc Cover RE users as if they had never purchased anything from you.

And why can Roxio toast Titanium 10 users upgrade to Snow Leopard but not those who have Toast 9?

Regards,

Roy
Last edited by pipkato on September 7th, 2009, 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 7:55 am

Nick,

I have to correct you on your information about a discounted upgrade path from Toast 9 version to the Standard Edition. You can read all about it here:

http://www.belightsoft.com/products/disccover/roxioedition.php

Please ignore my earlier complaints and feedback.

Roy
Nick

Postby Nick » September 7th, 2009, 8:36 am

Sorry, I didn't give you this link. Telling about the upgrade, I was keeping in mind the upgrade price not the full.

Nick
pipkato

Postby pipkato » September 7th, 2009, 8:38 am

Thanks Nick.

I've now upgraded to the Snow Leopard compatible Standard Edition.

Regards,

Roy

Return to “Disc Cover”