Borders for dvd covers?

wolffpc

Postby wolffpc » July 8th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Great program, but here's my problem:

When cutting dvd covers out of plain printer paper (I don't care about quality) I usually botch the edges, cutting off too much or too little. To augment this, I want to have a wrap-around black border, about 1 quarter of an inch along the outside edges of the dvd cover image when I print it.
Problem: I can't seem to do this without shrinking or cutting off portions of the dvd cover image. In other words, I can't get a black border to exceed the perimeter of the dvd cover image on the program's template.
Any suggestions?
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 9th, 2008, 1:55 am

Hi wolffpc (wolffmac? ;^)),
To be able to print some parts of your document that are outside a DVD cover (or anything else) use the Bleed setting from the Export/Print pane.
If you can't see these parts from the main document window of DC, toggle the Preview mode (the little eye icon at the top right of the DC main window).
Yet, if the purpose of the black border you want to add is to help you cutting rightly your printed document, think about using the Cut lines setting (from the Print pane) or the cut marks (from the Export pane).
Here's an example of this (just the top of a A4 document with bleeds (some parts of the black rectangle are outside the design element and with cut marks (at each design element corners):

Hope this helps.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Snowdream Software

Postby Snowdream Software » December 14th, 2009, 6:02 pm

The cut marks really need to be cross-hairs, as after you've cut three sides all the marks are gone!
Nick

Postby Nick » December 15th, 2009, 6:20 am

Hi,

We'll think about your suggestion. At first sight, the cross-hair mark is not so good because a half of if will get into the design area and may remain visible in the corner after cutting.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”