How to create a Custom Format?

jschuster

Postby jschuster » May 3rd, 2008, 3:30 pm

When I create a new custom format, I can add all fields and sort them and so on, but how to insert a seperator between the fields? It's not possible to create a USEABLE custum format if no seperator (even a space will be removed after saving) can be defined.
You can chose fancy line delimiter (btw. for what purpose is this?!), but you can not insert a tabulator or space or something to seperate "Numbers" from "Title" and so on.
Even if it is possible, the fact that I couldn't find it is prove that something is wrong with this dialog.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 4th, 2008, 1:48 am

Hi jschuster,

The "Output Line Format" edit box lets to place the cursor between fields and add a space character, for instance. But, as far as I can see, it doesn't work on Leopard (maybe Tiger too ?) because of a bug. Thanks for information. We'll fix this as soon as possible.

Nick
jschuster

Postby jschuster » May 4th, 2008, 3:03 am

Hi Nick,
thanks for your fast reply.
I think a good solution to insert not only spaces very easy would be, to add similar to the fields, a list of "field seperators", so the user can drag and drop them and rearange them in the "output line format". Otherwise the input of a tabulator with the keyboard would lead to the next listbox.
The german caption "Um ein Import..." is wrong and misleading. It sould sould like "Um ein Importformat anzulegen bitte Feldnamen ins Ausgabeformat ziehen."
The Table header of "Field Name" should be "Feldname" in german.
The Caption of "Output Line Format" sould be only "Ausgabeformat".
The Caption of "Line Delimiter" is cut of ("Begrenzungs") in german, maybe should be renamed to "Zeilenbegrenzung".

I would personally prefer another order of the input-fields.
1. Name
2. Exclude repeating values (does't this have any influence)
3. Headline & Table of Fields
(3a. maybe the list of seperator-items (space, tab ...))
4. Output Line Format
5. Line Delimiter

This order would lead the user through the steps to creat a custom format. Additionally the closer "Table of Fields to "Output Line Format" would be more intuitive.
Last edited by jschuster on May 4th, 2008, 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 5th, 2008, 2:51 am

Hi,

On Mac OS 10.4 (Tiger) the function works. The space symbol was only an example. Users can insert almost any character.

Thank you for your comments concerning the German localization and interface. We will take them into consideration.

Nick
Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » June 14th, 2008, 8:30 am

I'm still having trouble to even re-create a factory provided format, e.g.:

#.<tab>Title<tab>(Duration)

with Newline as the entry separator. In DC 2.1.1, there is now a "Space" (Leerzeichen in German localization) field, but that simply inserts a space character (or, I think, what for Line separator has been set). However, I need a <tab> as field separator, and a newline as line separator.

How do i create the above format on Leopard (10.5.3)? When I enter <alt>-<Tab>, I get a tab in the format field, but as soon as I move the cursor, it is removed.

Could the "Space" field get a popup of, say, "Space|Non-breaking space|Tab|Newline" to be able to choose the kind of whitespace to insert between the other fields? Or is this already possible somehow?

Regards, Christian.
Last edited by Christian Roth on June 14th, 2008, 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » June 14th, 2008, 9:47 am

Hi Christian,
You may try this workaround (works with Tiger/Leopard):
Where you want "special" chars (say TAB, unbreakable space…), simply insert a character or (even better) a combination of characters you're sure not to find in the text (for ex. use $$$ where you want to use a TAB).
So, after adding your datas into your DC document, select it then using Edit>Find use $$$ as the string to find and a TAB as the "string" you want to use (use Ctrl-TAB or Alt-TAB to insert a TAB character into the "Replace with:" field).
Of course, after that, you have to adjust tabstops to their right positions.
Have a look at this post for some infos, I hope useful, about using tabstops:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3608
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Christian Roth

Postby Christian Roth » May 16th, 2009, 5:48 pm

Hi,

so about a year and several versions of DC later I'm daring to ask if there will ever be a REAL solution to the custom tracklisting format with TAB as a separator problem...?

The problem still exists as described in my earlier post in this thread, and having to use a workaround to get a format that seems fairly common (see the thread linked to) seems clumsy.

I really would like to see a definitive solution to this. The way I could imagine it is to add special fields (like there is already for the space character) for (at least) the tab character, "(Tabulator)", which then could be inserted in the custom format like the other fields (Title, Duration etc.)

In my formatting uses, the tab character is really the most important separator character in format definitions, and I should be able to define a format that uses it without me having to apply the described workaround after each and every tracklisting update while I work on a design.

It would be really great if this functionality could be added really soon... :)

Thanks, Christian
Nick

Postby Nick » May 18th, 2009, 3:27 am

Hi Christian,

In one of updates we'll add the tabulation and possibly several more symbols to use them as separators. Thanks for a reminder.

Nick
kwindrem

Postby kwindrem » October 16th, 2009, 7:28 pm

I've run into the same problem and found a workaround. The custom formats are stored in a preferences file and I was able to edit it to add a tab (opt-tab) in the string for the custom format.

The file is in a user's preferences folder: eg

/Users/<user>/Library/Preferences/com.belightsoft.DiscCover2.plist

Look for keys in CustomFormats then under the import type (music in my case). The key to modify is format.

Edit: do plist edits with DiscCover not running. If it is running, you need to quit and relaunch to see the changes.
Last edited by kwindrem on October 16th, 2009, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Disc Cover”