Horizontal width and alignment problems with ip4300

PatriciaW

Postby PatriciaW » November 28th, 2006, 2:30 pm

I'm trying to print on Avery labels (8164.) Although I have specified the layout accurately, the width of the area being printed is about 2.5 mm less than the actual label width and as a result some of the text is being truncated. The actual edge of the label is 4 mm from the left. Am I encountering a problem with the printer. I know some printers have problems going too close to the edge. Or am I doing something incorrect.
(I've tried adjusting the horizontal calibration setting by 2 mm but it does not appear to make any difference.)
PatriciaW

Postby PatriciaW » November 28th, 2006, 8:00 pm

A bit more information:

I have defined my paper layout so that the left edge of the labels are defined as 4 mm from the edge. The actual printing occurs around 6.5 mm from edge and as a result it chops off some of the image.
I've tried adjusting Bleeds (although I am not sure I know what I am doing it.) I have tried 0 and 2mm and there is no difference. I have also specified borderless printing when I print to the ip4300. Is there some other factor that I should adjust or am I using some factor incorrectly?
Nick

Postby Nick » November 30th, 2006, 5:30 am

Hi,
The most probable, the edge of text gets into the printer's unprintable area. If your label design allows this, move text from the label edge. This will be the most simple solution.
Calibration will move the whole printed picture and, if your text lays right from one label edge to another, you'll get text cut from the other side.

The Bleed adjustment from the Print dialog sets how far outside the label edge the picture will be printed. If your text does not go outside the label, Bleeds will not help.

What more to try:
Start printing and, when you are in the system print window, click the Preview button. Your page will be shown in the Preview application. The picture must be exactly the same as what will be sent to the printer.
If the text is shown correctly, try to print labels from Preview.
You can open Page Setup in the Preview application and set borderless paper.

Nick
PatriciaW

Postby PatriciaW » November 30th, 2006, 7:57 am

Hi Nick,

I understand the issue of the printable area of the printer but if I specified "borderless" printing isn't the print supposed to go right to the edge of the paper? At least that is what I understood from the Canon documentation.

Does Disc Cover do anything to affect this borderless printing? I set it that way from the Print control dialog.

I managed to circumvent my printing problem (I was printing to paper which had two columns of 3 labels) by rotating the images in the first column by 180 degrees. This meant that the text that I needed to see was in the middle of the page for both sets of labels and did not get truncated.

Thanks for the explanation of bleeds ... I could not find it anywhere in your manuals.

Patricia
Nick

Postby Nick » December 1st, 2006, 8:01 am

Hi Patricia,

It seems Disc Cover does not support borderless printing.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”