Suggestion to enhance Disc Covers direct CD print function

macfan

Postby macfan » August 28th, 2007, 5:29 pm

I use Disc Cover now for a while and I like it very much with one exception:
Direct printing to a CD is much more complicated as it could be.
More, it is a pain and very time consuming, if you have to print often on different brands of CD / DVD.

As you know, almost all CD brands have different printable areas (outer and inner diameter differs)
Using the standard element, I have currently only the choice of a “small” or a “large” hole.

So, if my CD has a different printable area, I have to do the following steps (correct me, if I’m wrong):

1.) I have to create a custom CD element (with the correct inner and outer diameters of the printable area)
2.) I have to create a custom media using that CD custom element
3.) I have to play around with the correct xy values to keep the center position of my CD element
(A different outer diameter of the CD needs different xy values to keep the center position.
If you don’t take care about it, the printer calibration is no longer valid for that media)

Now I’m ready to print, but have probably already scrapped some CD’s while trying to find the right xy values.

After making a few templates, I gave up! It was to time and material consuming.

What I currently do, is to design the CD layout using Disc Cover, export it as TIFF, load it into my DISCUS RE, which I got with my old TOAST 7,
and print it. This works for all kind of CD”s , but this should not be the way to go.

It could be so easy to print on all kinds of CDs without needing the steps above, just with a small enhancement of Disc Cover’s direct CD print function.

I would strongly suggest the following enhancement:
1.) Use of only one standard CD template. There are no custom types necessary.
2.) You must just have the ability to enter the inner and outer diameter of the printable area. Everybody can easily measure the values and enter it.
You could best use the fields for inner and outer margin at the design element tab for that. You could also use the entered values to show the
real margins (which reflects the real printable area) during the design.
3.) You should remember the entered values for the next program start.

That’s all. The workflow to use a new CD type would now be:
Measure the inner and outer diameter of the print area, enter the values, design the lable and print !

Discus goes exact this way. I used it for a long time and it works perfect with all kinds of CDs. No need to create any templates etc.

I don’t want to criticize Disc Cover. It is really nice and I like your support, but I think the suggested enhancement could make it still much better and easier to use.

Thanks and best regards,
macfan
Nick

Postby Nick » August 29th, 2007, 8:24 am

Hi macfan,

Thanks for detailed explanation. We plan to follow your suggestion in the next major update of Disc Cover and make the disc size customizable in simple way.

Nick
macfan

Postby macfan » August 30th, 2007, 5:05 pm

Hi Nick,

thank you.
This sounds great.

Best regards,
macfan
jryberg

Postby jryberg » November 2nd, 2009, 11:23 am

OK, so here we are in Nov. 2009, and I still can't find the small-hole DVD template.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » November 2nd, 2009, 5:18 pm

Hi jryberg,
you may try the Disc Label (Full Coverage) from Design Element>Sizes>Presets.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » November 3rd, 2009, 4:47 am

It's in the Inspector (Cmd-1).

Return to “Disc Cover”