Very confused: adjust print area direct to disk

Drumhum

Postby Drumhum » April 14th, 2007, 4:47 pm

I am using my MAc with a cannon Pixma iP4000 printer.

I wish to print my designs directly to ink-jet printable disks

I am using Taiyo Yuden full-face printable disks (DVD-r x8).

I have noted that the printable area varies between different brands of disk, by as much as a few millimeters. I think it would most convenient if there were templates for different disks - like there is for different papers. just a suggestion. Anyway back to my problem...

Ideally, what I want to do is launch disc cover, select the brand of disk I want to print to (perhaps from a bunch of custom ones). design my disk, click print, done.

Starting from scratch, this is what happens to me...

1) select "new" from edit menu - I get a new blank doc of a cd/dvd. called "CD/DVD label or disk"
2) I find that neither the small or large hole option is correct for my taiyo yuden disks. I have created a custom element called TYFF (Taiyo Yuden Full Face). So I select this from the drop down menu "Change type"
3) I note the paper option in the "Design element" window is "standard". I change this to Pixma 4000 full face preset by clicking on the change paper button
4) This results in my TYFF custom element previously selected getting changed to "CD/DVD label or disk", as in 1)

Ok not too good - so I try it this way...
1) and 2) as above but I leave the paper option as "standard" and don't try to change it.
3) I design my disk and then click the printer icon/button
4) the window I get now has: "Output" = Paper, "Paper Type"=US plain, "Printer"=iP4000
5) I change Output to "Direct to CD/DVD; Paper Type = "Epson R200(etc)", printer = iP4000

Yes, it knows what Canon printer I have but it suggests I use "epsonR200" tray!! So...

6) I change Tray Type to Pixma. Now I see my design element on the left hand preview pane and a blank template thing on the right. I am told to "Drag Design Elements to the Paper(sic)"
7) I can't do anything else so I drag my design to the pixma tray-looking thing on the left.
8) This results is my work being printed with the default dimensions of "CD/DVD label or disk" - NOT my carefully crafted TYFF custom made element. When it prints, ink will overshoot the hole leaving wet ink, that can smudge, make a mess and generally screw up my nice prints.

Sorry If this is very rambling I am just trying to be as detailed as possible. Basically my question is...

How do I print direct to disk with my own print-area dimensions?

I can use the rest of the software without even looking at the manual - its great stuff. This printing lark is just way too confusing though. I found Discus much easier in this respect!

Thanks in advance for coping with this waffle!
Drumhum

Postby Drumhum » April 14th, 2007, 4:50 pm

Just as an add-on to this, I note that regardless of the setting in File->Page Set Up, or "paper type" in the Design Element window when I click the print icon there will always be a default print setting of paper, US Plain. This is not helping my plight!
Nick

Postby Nick » April 16th, 2007, 7:00 am

Hi Drumhum,

There are two ways to deal with variable size of the printable area.
1) If the picture you have printed is smaller than needed and you are getting a white stripe along disc edge: use the bleeds option. It extends the diameter of the printed picture. For using bleeds, you should the images in your design go outside the disc template edge.
This is the easiest way.
2) Creation a custom template.
You can select the tray of your printer in the list and click the Customize button to open the layout editor. Then replace the existing disc element with a custom one of other size.
This method will take more efforts than the first one.

Making disc templates for all disc manufacturers is not the best solution: if we have N Epson trays and M Canon trays in the list, than for Z CD-R types (N + M) * Z templates are necessary - too many combinations.

Just as an add-on to this, I note that regardless of the setting in File->Page Set Up, or "paper type" in the Design Element window when I click the print icon there will always be a default print setting of paper, US Plain. This is not helping my plight!

The paper format is taken from the selected paper template. If the is no any template selected, the recently used paper will be set.

Nick
Drumhum

Postby Drumhum » April 18th, 2007, 9:37 am

Thanks for the reply Nick.

After much fiddling and experimentation I've gone down the route of your point 2. I nearly always use the same disks to print to, so the work will be worth it for the future.

I take your point about disk brands resulting in soooo many templates. But I have to wonder why it has to be that complicated

Currently you have the option of hole size: small and large, in the design element box. All you need to do is replace this option with two variables: inner diameter and outer diameter.

With this I'd love to see a drop down menu next to the two variables with the ability to store/recall your own custom values. You could put in a list of preset "common disk dimensions" here - though I guess those dimensions could vary for different disk batches.

My main point is that just "small" and "Large" options are just pointless to me - they probably don't match any disk out there!

No negative criticism intended just trying to be constructive.

Thanks again.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 18th, 2007, 11:52 am

Your point is clear. We will consider your suggestion. From our point of view, users don't know the actual size of the printable area. The way we give them is using bleeds in the print dialog (did you try it?). If your print-out has 1-1.5 mm unprinted stripe along the disc edge, set bleeds to 2-2.5 mm and the problem will be solved.

Nick
Drumhum

Postby Drumhum » April 18th, 2007, 1:14 pm

Nick wrote:From our point of view, users don't know the actual size of the printable area.

I'm sure many are happy with what they get. I admit to being a bit of a perfectionist lol. Its not hard to get a ruler out though and actually measure things.

Nick wrote:The way we give them is using bleeds in the print dialog (did you try it?). If your print-out has 1-1.5 mm unprinted stripe along the disc edge, set bleeds to 2-2.5 mm and the problem will be solved.

I did play with the bleed. My problem is more to do with the inner edge - the outer edge is fine. Bleed affects both inner and outer (AFAICT) so in my case I'll either get a white outer boarder or a wet ink in the centre area. I can appreciate that bleed would be a suitable solution for paper printing where "going over the line" is even desirable. Bleed over the edge on a CD and you'll end up with wet ink on plastic that is too easy to smudge and make a mess.

Cheers Nick. your speedy responses are appreciated.
jryberg

Postby jryberg » November 2nd, 2009, 11:27 am

I don't understand this talk about many different CD-DVD sizes. Is that in Europe?
Here, I see one outer diameter, and two inner diameters, small and large.
I'm still trying to re-find that small one.
Why is it so difficult?
jryberg

Postby jryberg » November 2nd, 2009, 1:49 pm

Say what you will about Epson Print CD, it's much simpler when printing on the CD/DVD, esp. the ones with small holes. They're 120mm OD, 20mm ID, btw.
Nick, you're a genius, or you have a bunch of them being held prisoner somewhere, but
it seems you could simplify the printing directly on DVD process.
jerryr
Nick

Postby Nick » November 3rd, 2009, 4:53 am

Hi jerryr,

Please see http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=2355.

There is no need to repeat the same question/opinion many times in the forum.

Nick
jryberg

Postby jryberg » November 16th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Nick,
I'm very glad I bought Disk Cover 2.
You reminded me about the Inspector, and Disc Label (Full Coverage) from Design Element>Sizes>Presets. Thanks!
So now I've made multiple copies of great-looking labels on my iMovie-iDVDs.
This printing-on-the-disk stuff is fun, and people love the way it looks.
Jerry in Galesburg, IL USA
johnrz

Postby johnrz » April 11th, 2010, 2:27 pm

I have found out how to fix this. You can set the area that your design will fill on the disc, by going to the Design Element tab of the Inspector. Go to the Presets and open up the drop down arrow to see the full range of options. If you choose Printable Disc (Full), you will get the design to fill the disc close to the center hole.

Return to “Disc Cover”