Copying a design from one saved file to another

htial

Postby htial » July 28th, 2013, 7:26 am

Hi Forum,
I've been using Disk Cover for a while now and love how easy it is to use. So haven't had a need to use this forum every before. But now I have a question that I haven't found a solution to myself or in the manual.

So here's the situation. I've been helping out a show on community TV by putting all their past seasons onto DVD and then using Disk Cover to print onto printable disks. I'm up to the fifth season of the show and someone asked if labels for DVD cases could be done and I stupidly said "I can do that."

Now when I started the season one DVD labels and got the artwork all right so they were happy I just Duplicated and Renamed and really just did subtle colour changes for the following seasons. So four disks per season, five seasons, equals 20 files. Easy really.

Now that they want DVD case covers done too so I'm wondering if there is any way to copy just the "DVD Case" design element from one file and paste it into another file. For example. I've added a DVD Case design element to the Season 5 Disk 1 file and it was easy to copy the artwork from the "CD/DVD Label or Disk" to the "DVD Cover" while working within the one project file. But now I've got the layout all finished and they are happy with what I've given them I need to copy that for seasons 1 to 4.

Now I know I can just Duplicate and Rename which will mean creating more files, but I was just wondering if there was any way to do what I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 29th, 2013, 2:33 am

Hi htial
You may easily copy all objects (images, shapes, text(boxes)…) from one design of a Disc Cover document to another design of a different DC document.
All you have to do is to select all objects from the first design/document then paste them into the other design document.
Note that guides are not copied.
Note also that the type of design itself is not copied (DVD Insert, DVD Label), that means that you have to select the right design from the second DC document before pasting.
JJBee, Président (à vie) du G.R.O.I.N.
Secrétaire général : iMac C2D 2.16GHz
Secrétaire adjoint : MacBook Pro 17" Unibody 3.06GHz
http://belightcommunity.free.fr/BeLight Community website
Nick

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2013, 2:51 am

Hi htial,

You can create copies of your label design within the same file using the File > Design Element > Duplicate command.

To choose one of the copies, you need to click on the respective icons below the tool bar in the main window. A popup menu (the plus icon) also has the Duplicate Design Element command. For a picture, please check this page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/disccover/DCHelp/ui_main_window.html
I'm talking about item 3.

Nick
htial

Postby htial » July 29th, 2013, 3:28 am

Jean-Jacques Boutaud wrote:Hi htial
You may easily copy all objects (images, shapes, text(boxes)…) from one design of a Disc Cover document to another design of a different DC document.
All you have to do is to select all objects from the first design/document then paste them into the other design document.
Note that guides are not copied.
Note also that the type of design itself is not copied (DVD Insert, DVD Label), that means that you have to select the right design from the second DC document before pasting.

Hi Jean,
Whenever I try to "Select All" from the Edit menu, copy is greyed out and I can't click on it. And using the shortcut "Command+C" also doesn't seem to work.
I can do an object or two at a time but then it takes forever to work out what was layered above and under what.
htial

Postby htial » July 29th, 2013, 3:33 am

Nick wrote:Hi htial,

You can create copies of your label design within the same file using the File > Design Element > Duplicate command.

To choose one of the copies, you need to click on the respective icons below the tool bar in the main window. A popup menu (the plus icon) also has the Duplicate Design Element command. For a picture, please check this page:
http://www.belightsoft.com/products/disccover/DCHelp/ui_main_window.html
I'm talking about item 3.

Nick

Hi Nick,
I'm aware of the Duplicate command and think this will end up being the way I have to go. What I was hoping to do was collate all the work I've done down into a few files.
I guess I'll have to strike this down to live and learn and make sure I plan my future projects a little better.
Nick

Postby Nick » July 29th, 2013, 4:53 am

"Select All" may be disabled because there is no objects in the active layer or design element. If you can select one object, Select All must be available.

Nick
htial

Postby htial » July 29th, 2013, 5:35 am

Nick wrote:"Select All" may be disabled because there is no objects in the active layer or design element. If you can select one object, Select All must be available.

Nick

Hi Nick,
"Select All" isn't disabled. After clicking on Select All, and it appears that all objects are selected, "Copy" is disabled.
It seems there might be a limit on the number of objects that can be selected and copied. I know there shouldn't be, but I could also be doing something completely wrong too.
Thanks for trying to help. I think I'll just have to take more care on the next project.
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 30th, 2013, 6:00 am

Hi all
Sorry for the delay.
Strangely, I can't repeat the whole process using Edit>Copy or Cmd-C.
None of these commands seem to be available! (a bug?)
I can't remember the way I used the first time I tried this.
But you may use Copy from the contextual menu:
#1 Select All objects
#2 Ctrl-Click on the selection then choose Copy:
(Copier = Copy)
Also, you're right about layers, Select All then Copy selects and copies all objects from one layer, so if you use two layers, you have to do this for each layer (hopefully, there're only two layers in DC ;^)).
Jean-Jacques Boutaud

Postby Jean-Jacques Boutaud » July 30th, 2013, 6:04 am

Ahhhhh… Copy from Edit menu or from Cmd-C works again now!
I can't understand why and how.

OS X 10.7.5, DC 3.0.9 Build 668 (in demo mode)

Return to “Disc Cover”