Odd Save Behavior

arossjr

Postby arossjr » May 26th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Hi,

I am working with Disc Cover 3.0.9. I am having a dickens of a time trying to create disc labels (four) and slim jacket labels (five) for a DVD that has four variations.

My problem is as I try to make the labels look the same, I am using a lot of copying and pasting, putting certain elements on the background of the disc labels, importing edited image files (TIFF format), applying gradients to smart shapes, and so on.

Each time I try to save any change, it takes a super long time (on the order of quarter hours), which is ridiculous. What are the limits of this program with regard to multiple identical elements in the same file? Because for as powerful as you sell it, I'm having a heck of a time trying to do something I think should be handled easily.

My system is a 10.8.3 on 4GB RAM and 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo.
Nick

Postby Nick » May 27th, 2013, 2:31 am

Hi arossjr,

The saving time depends on the file size and quantity of the images used in your design. Also some external factors may slow down saving. For example, when some other program intensively reads or writes files, or when your document is saving to a network drive. If you send your document to support@belightsoft.com I'll be able to say more concrete. Please add the link to this topic to your email.

Nick
arossjr

Postby arossjr » May 27th, 2013, 12:47 pm

To indicate the length of time the program spent in Save mode, I left the spinning beach ball overnight and came back six hours later to see it spinning. I will link the file in my next post. I'm on my tablet now.
arossjr

Postby arossjr » May 27th, 2013, 2:59 pm

Hi Nick,

I can see part of my problem is the the file size is +500MB in size. Far too big to email.I have some simple, but overly large PSD files repeatedly placed on some project elements. I am slimming them down to save size. That might also help the Save issue.

Are there any other "gotchas" I should look out for?
Nick

Postby Nick » May 28th, 2013, 2:33 am

Hi

I think, if you reduce the document size, saving will work correctly. Also it can help if you split your design elements (disc labels, booklets, etc.) into several documents if they will be printed on separate sheets of paper.

Nick
arossjr

Postby arossjr » June 1st, 2013, 12:40 am

My problem was not resizing some graphics I brought into the document. Once I reduce the size, I got back to normal Save behaviors. Thanks again, Nick, for helping me troubleshoot.

Return to “Disc Cover”