Can I use a professional printing house to print off DiskCov

t0ny

Postby t0ny » April 10th, 2012, 11:55 am

I'm enjoying using DiskCover 3 and find it easy to use, apart from the main bit which is to print out my stuff!

My printer just drinks ink (it's a very nice Canon model) and I'm finding that getting it to print out the correct colours is also very hit and miss. Even when I calibrate the printer it still doesn't give me a very clean and correct coloured finish. No fault of DiskCover of course but very frustrating.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about getting my labels/dvd covers etc. printed via an external commercial supplier please?

I use snapfish (HP company) for my photo printing and the quality is generally extremely high. Part of the issue is how do I save a file so that an external printing house can print my stuff off, if they don't have a copy of Disk Cover 3?

If anyone has a solution to this issue I'd love to get feedback please. And thanks in advance for any advice/ideas/inspiration anyone can give me.

Many thanks. Tony
Last edited by t0ny on April 10th, 2012, 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick

Postby Nick » April 11th, 2012, 4:32 am

Hi Tony,

When you are printing using your Canon, make sure that in the system Print dialog the Presets option is set to the default, and in the Quality & Media section the appropriate options are selected.

As a rule, commercial printers don't have Disc Cover. You need to ask the printing house what kind of files they accept. Usually it's PDF or TIFF format. Any of them can be created using the File > Export command.

Nick
t0ny

Postby t0ny » April 11th, 2012, 3:27 pm

Thanks Nick

I always forget the 'export' command; don't know why though because it's so obvious really, and you've reminded me so I have no excuse now!

One other question if I may; I've noticed that the dvd cover template seems to be oversized? When I've printed it out on my Canon (with the print marks) I still have to trim off a little bit more to fit into the box which I find puzzling. It seems to be about 2 to 3mm too big on all four sides? My latest creation of a wedding cover has photos mainly, which means that I end up trimming off the photos more than I wanted to do.

It's not hard to trim a little extra off, but then I do find that making sure I trim a bit off all sides is so important because the 'spine' doesn't sit in the right position if I don't do that?

Off the top of my head the template seems to be about 2 to 3% bigger all round than it needs to be.

Any observations?

Thanks
Nick

Postby Nick » April 12th, 2012, 3:02 am

Tony,

If you are printing on specialized paper, this paper defines the template dimensions.

If you print on plain paper and trim the printed cover yourself, you can customize the template dimensions. The template size can be changed in the Design Element tab of the Inspector.

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”