Epson Artisan 725 Will Not Print Direct to DVD in DiscCover

cmt

Postby cmt » January 5th, 2012, 9:16 pm

I've searched the forums on this. Found several posts. Tried everything suggested. Even printed out a post from Nick so I could be sure to follow it step by step.

DiscCover 3 will not put the image on the Disc. Period.

The best I've managed is one tiny part of the image on the corner of the disc. The calibration sheet puts NOTHING on the disc, so is therefore useless in solving the problem. Sad part is, I was using the RE version of the software that came with my copy of Toast, and was so impressed I paid for the full version.

Until someone can tell me how to get the printing fixed the Disc Cover 3 is worthless.

Again, I've followed the suggestions in other posts, step by step, no results.

2.66 GHz Quad Core Mac Pro
OS X 10.6.8
Disc Cover 3.0.6 v656
Epson Artisan 725

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 6th, 2012, 5:32 am

Hi cmt,

Since the printed design is far off center, you need to check what printer tray is selected. Choose File > Change Layout. In the library of templates, "Epson Tray Type 2 (CD Tray)" should be selected.

Once you check the template type, open the calibration dialog. Make sure that you have the correct template and printer name there. Click the Restore Defaults button. Then click OK.

Then try to print. In the Print dialog of Disc Cover, verify the Output, Tray Type and Printer pop-up menus. Proceed to the system Print dialog. Make sure that Presets is set to Standard. Set Media Type to CD/DVD as instructed in Help. Now, if you look at the print preview, your disc label should be in the top left quarter of the page. Print and see where the label is printed on the disc.

Since your previously printed disc(s) is almost blank, you can use it for test prints. To save ink, you can temporarily select the draft printing mode.

If the printed label is printed off center again, how far is it from the centered position? What direction is it shifted?

Nick
cmt

Postby cmt » January 14th, 2012, 1:12 pm

Nick,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply. Thank you for the instructions. Although I could have sworn that I tried everything you suggested before posting my original comments, following the instructions you provided, in order, seems to have solved the problem. This time the cover printed on the disc correctly.

Between my original post and today, I did install the Epson EasyPrint software. So either I had some setting sideways in the whole sequence, or the EasyPrint had something to do with it.

Either way, following the steps you described, with the EasyPrint add on in place, works.

I have returned to being a happy customer.

Thanks for the help.
pattikx

Postby pattikx » January 28th, 2012, 10:26 am

Nick - thanks for the answer you gave. Like cmt, I had installed easy print and then followed your instructions. Worked perfectly! Thanks again!
CRogerTill

Postby CRogerTill » January 28th, 2013, 11:55 am

Nick,
I'm a new DC3RE user. I have a new iMac running OSX 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion). I also installed Epson Easyprint. I have an Epson Artisan 810.

Yesterday I was able to print to a DVD but it was way off. After reading the forums I changed the tray type to 2. Now I can't even print on a DVD. I followed all the instructions in Help. I also followed your instructions to cmt. Here's my problem. When I try to set Media Type to CD/DVD, those options are greyed out.

BTW, I also deleted and reinstalled my printer in System Preferences, rebooted and tried everything again. Nothing changed. When I try to print, it ejects my DVD and only wants to print on paper. My Presets are on Default Settings.

I hope you can help me. Thanks.
Nick

Postby Nick » January 28th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Hi CRogerTill,

You should select the paper tray that is compatible with your printer. Probably it is the first one you tried. Printer manufacturers usually type a letter on printer trays that indicates the type.

If the design is printed off center, you can correct this using the calibration feature.

You can also read the printer manual. Some models require certain preparations to print on discs such as removing paper, and describe how to install the tray to the initial position.

Nick
CRogerTill

Postby CRogerTill » February 1st, 2013, 11:11 am

Nick,
Thank you for your reply.

I did as you suggested, that is, I changed the tray type back to the first one I tried, but my basic problem is still the same. That is, when I try to set Media Type to CD/DVD, those options are greyed out.

Also, when I use the Epson Print CD software, (which is not near as nice as DC3), it shows the DVD label in the upper left quadrant of the page, just like it does in DC3 when I use Tray Type 2. But the CD/DVD options are still greyed out. When I choose Epson Tray Type 2 (CD Tray), my printer is listed in the list, Epson Artisan 810, whereas in Tray Type 1 it is not listed.

Any other ideas? I need for those options to not be greyed out so I can select them. Thanks.

Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » February 9th, 2013, 8:42 pm

Hi Roger,

The problem may be linked with the printer driver (or its absence).

Try to reset the printing system as described here:
http://www.belightsoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8820
in post #3.

Nick
CRogerTill

Postby CRogerTill » February 16th, 2013, 11:11 am

Nick,
Thank you again. Sorry for the delay in replying. I was out of town.

I did as you suggested in post #8 above. I followed those 7 steps exactly, but it didn't solve the problem.

This is what I see. In DC3RE, I choose Print. Then, check that Tray Type is set to Epson Tray Type 2 (CD Tray). I click Next. In the next window, the CD label appears in the upper left quadrant of the image. I click on the drop down that says Layout and select Print Settings. This brings up a drop down labeled Media Type, which shows Plain Paper / Bright White Paper. I click on this drop down to open it and it shows 11 items, starting with the Plain Paper and ending with Envelope. Item 9 is CD/DVD and Item 10 is CD/DVD Premium Surface. Both of these are still grayed out and cannot be selected.

When I open Print and Scan in System Settings my printer is listed in the box on the left side. I click on Open Print Queue then click Settings on the dialog box that opens up. Under General, it shows my Driver Version as 9.00. Please see the first paragraph in post #5 above for more info. Could this be a MacOS issue? I have no other problems with printing. Or perhaps a firmware issue? I tried to update the firmware but got the message Cannot Connect to the Epson Server. It also says that the current version of the firmware is LW0596 13.13.

Thanks for any help you may have.
Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » February 18th, 2013, 6:43 am

Hi Roger,

As far as I understand, The Epson Easy Print software cannot print on CD/DVD as well. If this is correct, the problem is linked with the driver or the printer itself.

One more thing to try in Disc Cover. In the Print dialog, select your printer and set output to Direct CD/DVD. Then open the Tray Type drop-down menu and choose Page Setup. In the Page Setup dialog, select your printer in Format For. Then open the Paper Size drop-down list and see if there is the CD/DVD option. If it is present, select it and return to the Print dialog of Disc Cover. Without any changes, click on the Next button and check if you can select the CD/DVD media type in the system Print dialog. If you can, try to print.

Nick
CRogerTill

Postby CRogerTill » February 18th, 2013, 11:53 am

Hi Nick,
Thank you again for trying to help me.

First, I was mistaken about Epson Easy Print. I downloaded it, but never installed it.

I tried what you said in post #10. When I got to the Paper Size drop-down, the CD/DVD option was not there. Any other ideas?

Roger
Nick

Postby Nick » February 19th, 2013, 5:12 am

Hi Roger,

Normally, printers capable to print on CD/DVD directly add the CD/DVD option to the list of supported paper formats. Without the specific driver, the operating system can use a general driver that allows print on paper but doesn't let you use all printer capabilities. Normally, it helps if you reset the printing system (remove the printer driver as described above), and then install the driver and Easy Print. If Epson software can print on discs, then we have chance to print using other programs.

It is not clear what happens since you could print. Did you update or install some software or the operating system?

Nick

Return to “Disc Cover”